Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Computer - recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I'm currently looking for a new bike computer and want to know what is the best choice - not just from a features perspective but one that can take abuse, sweat, rain, bumps, etc., and still function. I have had wired and wireless in the past. Wireless are nice to install but I have not been impressed with their reliability - they always seem to take a crap during my big races and I end up with no read-out.

So, what do you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Computer - recommendations? [Over Distance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run an Avocet 45tt on my tri bike. I like cadence, and I like the magnet ring system that Avocet uses. I haven't had too many problems with it. I've replaced the wires/mount a couple times over the years.

I run the Shimano FliteDeck on my road bike. I like the integration with the shifters and the virtual cadence. I have the older wired mount and haven't had any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using a Vetta RT55 now (only for the past 6 weeks and because it was in stock at my local bike shop and would fit on a bladed fork) and it has been working fine. It does not have cadence but seems to do everything else I need. I replaced a Sigma cordless which was a piece of crap. It turned green from corrosion and quit working after only one season. I've also had success in the past with the Cateye Mity (again no cadence but reliable).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cateye Astrale. Has all the features you need (including cadence) and is bombproof. Inexpensive, too.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Echo F2 on my tri bike and Cateye Astrale on my road bike. Both are good inexpensive units, but the F2 has a few more features (avg. and max cadence, and count-down distance and time for testing) and performs better in the rain. The Astrale shorts out during heavy rain.

Both of them can be set up for the rear wheel so they can be used with a trainer.

scott
Quote Reply
On sale [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the Astrale is on sale at Nashbar or Performance for like $20-25. I also like it, but last weekend had some problems when I spilled water on it during a long ride. Now it seems fine.

Zeke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister runs the older CD100 Cateye Astrale on both her tri and road bikes. They seems like good computers, although her wiring gave up the ghost right before Eagleman. Once nice thing about them is that you can get a stem mount for it. http://www.cateye.com/...1.php?products_id=33 This allows you to zip tie the mount over the center of the stem, good for use with aero bars. Cateye has released a new Astrale 8, which is probably why the older Astrale's are on sale right now. I don't know if they are compatible with the older mounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Sports Instruments SI 90 HR wireless for about a year. It has been absolutely reliable, the only time I have had a problem has been when the battery ran down. No cadence (I don't look at it anyway) but it does display HR and can be set for HR zones, as well as all the regular bicycle functions. The chest strap also works with my wrist HR monitor, so I can put on the stopwatch and see time spent in each HR zone at the same time. Once in a while, the HR reading is a bit strange, attribute that to power lines.

Just bought a Sigma wireless for my other bike, the LBS was out of the SI units. It worked for about 2 days, now it has some kind of a problem where the signal is transmitting from the fork mounted sensor to the handlebar mounted wireless receiver, but the receiver will not communicate with the computer.

shortly I will be getting a Ciclo HAC 4. Loads of features, too many to list here. It uses the same transmitter as the SI, so I expect the same degree of reliability.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used and abused Cateye's, Vetta's, and Sigma Sports. The only ones I have found to be worth the money is the Sigma Sport.

Easy to use, affordable, durable.

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Specialized Speedzone now called the elite for several years. I just upgraded to the speedzone pro & really like it.

I actually have a brand new unopened Speedzone Elite for sale if you are interested.
Quote Reply