Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Braking Question [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I'm worse than an AOB. I'm an AOB who does 100% of my training on a KK. I have probably only ridden about 800 miles outside and 500 of that is in races over 6 years or so, with most of the outside training in 2014. I've gotten away with it because almost all my races are flat out-and-backs or flat loops. This race was a new one for me and it wasn't flat or straight.

Kudos to you for identifying the problem. You need more outside riding experience. A LOT more.

If you're trying to avoid vehicle traffic and have a fear of dying on the road, so be it. Buy a mountain bike or a cross bike and go ride trails, gravel, or fire roads. Getting some experience riding outside is not optional, you need to develop bike handling skills not only for yourself, but also for the sake of those around you in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Braking Question [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
This. I use my front brake exactly 100% of the time, and rear brake exactly 0% of the time.

Okay, Ima gonna say that's wrong.
If for no other reason than you're losing a lot of stopping power and taking a much longer to stop.

Knowing how to brake is a "feel" thing; I've been riding long enough that it's 2nd nature and I don't give much thought to breaking (pun) it down into parts.
But if you were'n't intended to have a rear brake --> they wouldn't sell them.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Braking Question [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
klehner wrote:
This. I use my front brake exactly 100% of the time, and rear brake exactly 0% of the time.

Okay, Ima gonna say that's wrong.
If for no other reason than you're losing a lot of stopping power and taking a much longer to stop.

Knowing how to brake is a "feel" thing; I've been riding long enough that it's 2nd nature and I don't give much thought to breaking (pun) it down into parts.
But if you were'n't intended to have a rear brake --> they wouldn't sell them.

The overwhelming amount of braking power comes from your front brake. This is well known.

I've been racing bikes (crits, RRs, triathlons) for the better part of 30 years. I have only crashed once in all that time (about two months ago, due to not seeing a large rock in the road, but I still managed to get off the pavement before going down without damage). I know how to brake with the front brake.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Braking Question [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front brake is for stopping. Rear is for speed control.....
Mostly

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 13, 17 15:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next