Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Box Alan vs Premier Bike Case
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know the "what bike case should I buy" topic is a beaten dead horse, but I'm torn on this one. BBA seems like it's the best option in terms of the easiest and safest way to get my Speed Concept packed for travel, particularly since I'm a terrible bike mechanic (I try, but my hands want to do everything wrong). However, it is more expensive and looks large enough that I'll get tagged for oversized luggage when I travel with it. The Premier case is well recommended here, but I don't have the actual specs, it looks like I'll have to remove the chain and derailleur (yeah, I know, this should be a basic skill), and I'm not in love with the idea of a zipper closure for the case. I have decided it will definitely be one of these two, just not sure which to go with and would love to hear advice/experiences with people familiar with either or both cases. TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Box Alan vs Premier Bike Case [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll probably get a lot of people telling you that the one they own is better. I'm guessing they are both pretty great, but would toss in my own vote for the BBA (no experience with the premier box). To me, the BBA box is the best thing to happen to bike travel since airplanes. Packing/unpacking takes 20 minutes and it doesn't feel too big. I recently flew from LA to Miami and back on American and was not charged an oversize baggage fee. Happy BBA user here...

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier is cheaper, smaller, and thus probably also a bit lighter. If your bike fits, it's a good option. It would likely be easier to fit in a car.

I would personally recommend the BBA for the following reasons:
- BBA has wider handlebar capacity. My 42cm road bars would not fit in the Premier because my drops are 450mm c-c. I'd need to install 40cm or 42cm bars that don't flare
- BBA won't require seat post removal. I'm 6'3" (191cm) and at worst would have to slide the seat down 1cm to fit in the box.
- BBA has far more straps to secure the bike, similar to VeloVault and the old BBA, which pull it against the foam. The bike won't move an inch. The Premier seems to just have a few straps that pull in the same plane as the bike. Not sure how that works in practice, but I would guess the bike can move around a little bit, which could be enough to leave marks if anything is touching.
- BBA has an anti crush pole. There is a separate option you can order if you take a disc and still want that protection.
- BBA rolls around with the bike upside down, which should be more stable. The weight is lower and the casters have wider spacing.

I think both are good options, and both can fit 3 wheels.

Covid international shipping rates have been insane, so I'm waiting for Black Friday or for shipping costs to drop. Then I plan to order a BBA, unless the upcoming Shokbox Tri X looks better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let see if the competitor comes on to support this enquiry. I think that says something.

First - your bike will fit in our case. Our case is light and strong. With the gen 1 cases we had a few athletes over stuff the case which put pressure on the zipper. No real issues but we thought it best to solve the issue before it became one. We have added 3 strap buckles which eliminate any issue with stuffed cases. Cram it with what ever you want.

Our case will take any bike with a base bar 42 cm on center.

Our case holds three wheels in dedicated spaces.

Combination lock and TSA lock.

Three internal straps that hold the bike in suspension inside the case. Two from the top and one from the bottom. The bike will not move.

No need to remove the chain - but its better to take up the slack and tie it down.

No need to remove the rear mech - just move it to the inner most position.

If you want a nice case that is easy to use, reasonably priced, in stock and works - our case is a good choice.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Mar 29, 21 16:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had my BBA for a year now and got it shipped from the UK to the US and been very happy with it after 4 trips. Relatively easy to get the bike in there (wheels off, lower seat, rotate bars) and velcro down with straps. Plus the crush bar works well, relatively light and easy to maneuver when packed.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Box Alan vs Premier Bike Case [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't traveled with my Premier yet, but I think the zipper is a huge benefit... It's one less thing the TSA folks can get wrong. I have the scicon evolution, and it's a pain to get the two sides lined up perfectly.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a BBA and think it is a great product, packs up my small frame speed concept quite well, and unlike the poster who has a large frame, the small packs upright. I agree with the one person who noted a zipper is much easier for the agents to work with as the BBA only fault (IMHO) is closing does take some patience and a little understanding... overall, I’m very satisfied with my BBA and if i was to buy another travel box/bag, I’d definitely go with BBA again. Only, I’d consider the BBA which does not require any handle bar removal.... i have used the evoc bag several times and it was a good product but the protection of the BBA is superior. Good luck choosing what is best for your needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Bike Box Alan Triathlon Easy Fit version. I love it. I also was considering the Premier. Since you said you are not a great mechanic, then the Bike Box Alan is great as you just take off your wheels and pedals and lay the bike in the box. With other boxes, I would still have to do something with my extensions and with Di2, I didn't feel comfortable messing with that. I flew across the US with it on Delta and didn't get charged any extra fees. Rolls great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the BBA triathlon and I can not imagine a better box than this. I had Scicon soft for many years and also Scicon hard case.
I have traveled maybe 50 times around the world with my tri and my road bikes and here is my feedback
- BBA triathlon has been accepted without any issue as a normal (extra) bag. never a discussion. i agree, it is big, but no problem with airlines.
- the tri bike: i leave the aerobars as they are, remove pedals and wheels, 10mins is deal done. ready to go.
- for the road bike ONLY though, I would prefer the Scicon Hard case: it is very compact, super solid and protective, you remove only the pedals and wheels also here. Unfortunately for any tri bike, it would not work: you would need to remove the aerobars and it is a but annoying for me.

overall, for any try bike, go for BBA tri. if you have only a road bike, go with Scicon hard case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard of Bike box Alan until this post, looked it up and it seems impressive.

I really don't think you're going to go wrong with either choice. I think it would come down to when you need it, if it's available, cost, shipping costs and if you're into aesthetics/colors

In the past I've used the old clamshell type, tri all 3 pop top, scion bag and some other big arse bag case whose name escapes me. Never, ever again would I use a clamshell after the Premier case.

I'd give the nod to the premier case over the scion (which I realize you didn't ask about but the answer may help your decision) for the ability to carry 3 wheels, the expansive room for the basebars and ease of packing. I take off my seat, unplug then remove my extensions, remove the wheels and load it all in.

I've found that on my old Scott Plasma I could load the bike in and put my helmet & wetsuit in the basebar area and they stayed intact without moving around. The strap system works great, could pack my bike, all my gear for a 7-10d training, wind tunnel testing & racing trip into the case then ship it or fly it back east. Took about 20-30 min to pack depending how many bags I loaded in. IIRC the heaviest I had it weighed down was ~ 85 pounds which I'm sure Fedex loved judging from the shipping fees and the driver hated. Now I've also just shipped the bike in it with no wheels or gear before and it's super easy to manage.

It is a bit bulky to load into a car and having a wagon makes it easier. IDK if I'd want to wrestle in into the back seat like I used to do with my tri all 3 pop top case. The premier has fit into every rental car I've gotten with the back seats down and sliding it into the trunk. Typically rent a Camry type vechicle

It's a piece of cake to wheel around airports and since there aren't many cases shaped like it it's super easy to spot in oversized luggage.

My guess is my premier case has ~ 20 trips on it, either cross country or international via fedex, ups and planes. No damage to my bike or case. I've also seen it loaded into the cargo hold 3-4x. It's always been the top case on the pallet coming back from races bc of how the basebar area is designed. Other cases won't stack on top of it so it'll always be on top of the other bikes. Always been loaded by 2 people those few times I've witnessed it going into the cargo hold

Like I said I doubt you can make the wrong decision with either case. Hopefully this helps you see how versatile the Premier case is and I'm sure the BBA case is/can be

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Box Alan vs Premier Bike Case [AMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all has been said about BBA. I would just add that its dimensions comply with linear length requirement with US air carriers so you would not be penalized for its size...
Quote Reply