Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a Felt IA3 and I’m looking at the aerocomfort 3.0 that literally only requires the wheels to come off. I have serached all over the web but I want to see if there are other options that require very little tear down. I’m open to other options as well but it seems with the integrated front end, it just makes it a little more complex.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I strongly encourage that you consider a hard case and learn to break the bike down a bit more. The soft case leaves your bike very susceptible to damage and many airlines have clauses that specifically state they will not cover any damage done to a bike that is in a soft sided case.

Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
I strongly encourage that you consider a hard case and learn to break the bike down a bit more. The soft case leaves your bike very susceptible to damage and many airlines have clauses that specifically state they will not cover any damage done to a bike that is in a soft sided case.

I'm curious if you have any data to back this up... IIRC, there was an ex-baggage handler who said that a soft case like the armored hen house is actually safer because it stays on the belt. IIRC, hardshell cases often slide off the belts and experience far more potential for rough handling and abuse.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a broken frame and a $4000 bill to back it up.

Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Sbradley11 wrote:

I'm curious if you have any data to back this up... IIRC, there was an ex-baggage handler who said that a soft case like the armored hen house is actually safer because it stays on the belt. IIRC, hardshell cases often slide off the belts and experience far more potential for rough handling and abuse.

I have data from traveling with golf clubs: soft cases = broken shafts. Hard cases = never had a broken shaft. No chance I'll ever chance my bike in a soft case.

For the OP, the best bag I've found has been Premier's hard bike case. Very little breakdown needed. Unfortunately I don't think they sell them independently of their bikes any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at the B&W international box on Amazon. It has good reviews and priced well. Does anyone have experience?

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Consider the Velo safe options fromTriAll3 They've been around forever and tear down can be as minimal as only removing wheels and pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
I have a broken frame and a $4000 bill to back it up.

And other people have broken frames, parts, equipment while using hard cases. It sucks but shit happens. I've travelled with both and luckily never had any issues (knock on wood).
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not denying that. But the airline covered nothing because it was in a soft case. They specifically told me that.

People can argue all they want. I really don’t give a shit either way what someone else decides to do. I was just trying to offer some advice from my experience and save someone a potential headache. This place really is ridiculous sometimes. Back to not posting...

Quote | Reply
I've been lucky traveling with my soft case and 0 damage, but in my experience of flying about 10 times with a bike, not once has my bike made it to the destination on the internal frame system that the bike case has. Whether it's TSA opening your bag or the airline treating it like shit, it's a risk

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the article by the baggage handler noting that hard cases can slip off the conveyor belt especially if it is wet outside. https://cyclingtips.com/...m-a-baggage-handler/ Interestingly, somewhere in the ST forum you will find a guy who was travelling with a hard case that slipped off the luggage cart and then was run over by a fuel truck. It crushed his case and his bike. Oh well, sometimes it just doesn't matter what you do.

I've been travelling domestically and internationally with soft sides for about 12 years now and no damage (PikaPackWorks and now a Thule Roundtrip Pro XT). But if you pack your bag correctly, it should be able to handle many bags piled on top; a significant drop, side impacts, etc. That requires breaking the bike down, using fork locks, removing the RD, padding all frame tubes, using semi-rigid side inserts, and eliminating loose items inside that could damage the frame. Besides lower weight and size, one key advantage of a soft side over a hard case is the ability to flex when TSA opens to inspect, and then re-closes the case. A lot of reported damage you read about is when TSA forces a hard case closed when parts have shifted. In the end, there is no perfect case and we are all just trying to do our best to get to the destination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the aerocomfort and in theory all you need to do is take the wheels off. In reality it's a bit of a squeeze trying to get the aerobars in if you have longer ones or a larger size bike. The base bar widens the front, which makes the base bar more prone to pressure and to getting hit. The case is going to be laid flat at some point in the journey, and the case doesn't seem designed for that.

I regret getting a soft case and wish I had purchased a hard case. Baggage handlers have not been kind to the bag, although my experience is that the TSA is better with soft cases than hard cases since they don't seem to jam the halves together when closing them; baggage handlers seem rougher with soft cases than hard cases. I understand it's not easy with bikes that have integrated fronts, but what you'll lose in time getting your bike into a hard case you will make up for in peace of mind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have well over 75 flights with soft bag and never an issue...

Flying a bike has risks and both kinds have benefits, but I think a properly packed soft case is a great option.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have and use a Bike Pro USA case. I have had my Bike Pro case for several years now, and it started out as the "double bike case". I have since modified it to fit a single bike, and then have room for wheel bags, pump, and a few other items put in bags, inserted into the case. It's kinda a soft/hard case hybrid. Soft outer, but skeleton is ABS, with ABS side panels. Has worked well for me going all over the world since 2007

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

Consider the Velo safe options fromTriAll3 They've been around forever and tear down can be as minimal as only removing wheels and pedals.

Good case but be careful, they're considered oversized (& therefore cost more) when shipping (UPS).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've posted on ST a few times about bike damage I've received twice in a soft bag and I highly recommend a hard case. You can use the search function and you will see people complaining about damage in them for years. Please save yourself the agony and learn how to break down your bike and use a hard case. To add to this horrible trend, I recently raced in Greece 70.3. I used a hard case and air carrier KLM. I had no issues and yes they opened up my bike to/from Greece. I heard you had slightly better chances going with foreign air carriers rather than US based. This is true - plus the comfort is much better on the foreign carriers. In Greece, I met two different athletes who flew US based air carriers (Delta this time) with soft bags. Both of these bikes endured broken frames and the race officials would not let them race with the bikes - total bike loss. One bike bag was ripped open and had missing parts. Luckily they were able to find some sort of rental road bike solution so they could race.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: May 2, 19 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heading to Santa Rosa 70.3 last year they flung those soft bags onto the cart and stacked them sideways - 6 bikes high. You have to assume your bag will be dropped, flung and stacked on at a bare minimum. They will not remain upright. Each flight (not counting additional stops) your bike bag will be "handled" and significant manipulated at least 4 times.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: May 2, 19 19:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought and travelled with the BIKND Helium V4 case. Very minimal break down of the bike. Really liked how it held the bike together, no movement, no damage. Especially loved the air bladders.

Last edited by: harshc: May 2, 19 19:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can back this up with $5K damage - they broke a wheel too. United Airlines damage over two different flights. United also broke a Navy Seal's triathlon bike (also soft case) = $10K damage. Never again will I use a soft case. The airlines absolutely will not cover bikes. Make sure your homeowners insurance does.

Sbradley11 wrote:
I’m not denying that. But the airline covered nothing because it was in a soft case. They specifically told me that.

People can argue all they want. I really don’t give a shit either way what someone else decides to do. I was just trying to offer some advice from my experience and save someone a potential headache. This place really is ridiculous sometimes. Back to not posting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Premier Tactical hardshell case. I only take off the wheels, seatpost and disconnect the extensions then pull them out. Can pull apart/rebuild the bike in <10 min.
Can go from full bike to fully packed in <20 min

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Check out the Premier Tactical hardshell case. I only take off the wheels, seatpost and disconnect the extensions then pull them out. Can pull apart/rebuild the bike in <10 min.

link?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Hands down the best bike case on the market. For those that don’t know, it basically looks and operates exactly like the SciCon Tri bag (very little disassembly) but it’s a hard case. So best of both worlds. It even zips up like a soft case.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
desert dude wrote:

link?

If only there was a way to search the Internet on your own. I’d be a multi-billionaire if I could develop a website that could do that. I think I’d call it Google or maybe Yahoo, heck Bing has a nice sound to it too.

😁

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Hands down the best bike case on the market. For those that don’t know, it basically looks and operates exactly like the SciCon Tri bag (very little disassembly) but it’s a hard case. So best of both worlds. It even zips up like a soft case.

The difference being that one can actually buy the SciCon case whereas the Premier case not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bags/cases with minimal tear down [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one. 😜

Quote Reply

Prev Next