Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Edit (three year later ) - Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I am as OK as you can be when a school bus runs over some body parts. Big kudos to the random people on site who quickly applied compression to my arm as I was feeling I would go into shock with blood spurting all over the place, the quick arrival of paramedics and then the awesome staff at Emergency at the Ottawa Civic hospital where I spent most of the day yesterday. No discharged and back at home!

OK so I just started biking again a bit more constently as nerve/disic trouble were getting in the way for a few years. The last 2 weeks have been truly golden...each bike ride got better and better to the point that initially I could climb out of saddle at full power (I am in great shape from swim and rowing machine) and in the last two rides despite some left leg weakness, pretty close to full power sitting. I was just getting excited to adding biking back into my routine of daily swimming, weights, and alternate day rowing machine. It was really fun to be outside again.

Well, all of that ended after I hit something on the road yesterday that for some reason I did not see (I can say I had not lost any road handling ability during my hiatus). I have been on this stretch of road 2k from home at least 1000 times pervious. There is normally no pot hole, or dip in road or manhole, unless some utility crew dug up the road for some maintenance and patched it up poorly. So I THINK I hit something in the morning shadows and my hands went off the base bars which I was riding in approaching a traffic light that was just turning green.

In the bike lane side, my bike started veering right as my hands came off bars from the sudden road shock....in any case i ended up hitting the curb and bouncing back into traffic right at the time a school bus was starting to move forward (there was a line up of cars that was just getting moving at the green light and I was going to turn right).

I ended up veering right away from traffic, but then bouncing off the curb 180 degrees with my right arm and leg under the bus tires. The school bus, not knowing I was there and already in motion ran over my right bicep and forearm and my right foot. My right foot was basically unharmed due to the rigidity of the bike shoe (it is sore), but the two tires of the school bus covered everything from halfway up my bicep to my wrist and crushed/mangled things substantially

Miraculously, nothing is broken, but the bus managed to sheer away muscle from bone. This spot is 2K from home and I have done probably 1000 passes of this tarmac as it is part of a hill interval loop (this part is downhill and recovery phase....not that I am doing intervals as I just started riding).

In any case in all my years of cycling, my worst fear is crashing and ending up in traffic. Yesterday I finally did but under a bus (kind of like Cristian Bustos style for those of you old timers).

Now that I am mainly a swimmer my first reaction as I was crying on the curb waiting for the ambulance "What If I can never swim again....second reaction....Oh my God, I have a startup company to run....all these guys are depending on me!"

The paramedics were awesome. They gave me compression immediately, that stopped a lot of the blood outflow and stabilized things. Emergency guys were great. I got a bunch of Xray's immediately and after some analysis actually no fractures, just crushed soft tissue. While I find it hard to believe, it feels like the entire elbow joint is totally messed up and non functional. They have sewn everything back up together so now I have a "closed arm" with nothing protruding, albeit twice the size. They don't think there is any nerve or artery damage. They tested my fingers which I can move properly but in pain (ex typing now kind of works with arm supported at 90 degrees)

So the orthopedic surgeon at the ER feels the arm will work again. I look forward to when they will let me back in the pool to do endless kick sets. I hope I can do that. Right now I cannot imagine activating my bicep to even get my arm 1 inch off the hanging position....forget about overhead. No cast or anything, just a sling for now. They are concerned about infection, so they have me on antibiotics and they gave me some narcotic pain killers, but I am veering away from the narcotic pain killers and just dealing with the pain with some extra strength tylenol. This is the first time since 1992 that I have been on any antibiotics, so not thrilled about that, but I guess I would rather do that than risk this getting a deep infection as the "hole" when right down to bone.

Anyway, my one fear riding which I have always had is crashing for whatever reasons and ending up in traffic and getting run over. Now I had that one, but no head or chest being run over.

Looks like the rest of the summer and fall in rehab. Hopefully I can get back to full swimmer status in due course. Right now it feels kind of impossible, but I can't let how I am physically feeling now get in the way of what is possible. I have enough experience at this point to know that if your head is in the game, you can make a lot of recovery progress.

Anyway "not dead" but this is one of those freaky ones where everything happens at the wrong moment. My only fault is not spotting whatever I hit. I am totally baffled by what I actually hit that would send my bike bucking in that manner on that smooth tarmac. We could say "don't ride beside a bus" but probably in the 15,000 times I have ridden beside buses and trucks in the bike shoulder nothing ever happened.

Edit: Someone asked for pictures...so I will start with the good one.

I recently got back into biking training not for racing, but with the the hope to get back to riding in the Alps again. I wanted to and still want to go back to the top of Galibier not by car, by bike to ~8800 ft:

Well here is the step backwards towards that goal. This is what a Canadian School bus looks like. Normally they do not drive over cyclists and it was not the driver's fault

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 29, 21 16:36
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shit man... glad it wasn't worse. Heal up fast. Scary stuff.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about what happened, Dev.

Hope you heal quickly and stay positive!

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow Dev... glad you're (relatively) OK, sounds like it could gave ended a lot worse.

Heal fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that’s scary but I’m glad you’re ok!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I got a bunch of Xray's immediately and after some analysis actually no fractures, just crushed soft tissue.

Strong bones!

Holy shit! Hope you have a full recovery and some stories to impress the grandkids. Or just the old ladies at the nursing home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, glad you are here to be able to write about it. Sometimes you hit something that you never see, it happens. Get well!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys for the nice morale boosters. It is helpful. Looking back:

• I never had anything like that riding a bike, so it was just a one time bad timing of all events.
  • If there was a car beside me rather than a bus, I bounce off the side.
  • If the light was not turning green, the bus would have not moved yet.
  • If there was nothing on the road, I would have never lost control in the first place (I have been on that road 1000x and it is only 2K from home)!

Of course this one is "pilot error". No one other than me did something wrong, but it was such a benign spot (all things considered) at low enough speed, that in the big scheme of lifetime riding and given the 1000x though this spot, this was an ultra low risk position on the road (yes, it still has risk, but it's all slow speed stuff in a residential neighborhood).

Will I treat this any differently when I get back to riding ? (actually I am glad I typed, that, yesterday I was wondering if riding was even worth it given my recent enjoyment in swimming and now losing swimming due to a riding hazard). I don't know I would do anything differently, but maybe keep a bette eye for hazard on silk smooth tarmac rather than letting my guard down. I will go with my wife back to the spot to see if the tarmac has been cut up by a utilty and patched poorly....if not, I just hit a rather hard litter object that I clearly had not seen in the morning sunlight (I was riding south east and maybe the item I hit was obsured by school bus shadow)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Route66 wrote:
Wow, glad you are here to be able to write about it. Sometimes you hit something that you never see, it happens. Get well!

This is the pilot error part that I am really annoyed with myself about today. Really there is no proper excuse for not seeing an object or a change in colour of the pavement and choosing to avoid it. So I am upset with myself for missing whatever I hit. Maybe I was distracted with the traffic light ahead, and looking at car indicators up ahead and orientation of tires of cars about to turn and getting prepared for car moves ahead, and took my eye off the silk smooth tarmac.....not sure, but I should be able to be completely aware of where cars are about to go and see the pavement clearly.

In any case, I will go back to the spot with my wife later and try to assess what I hit so that I don't do it again. But I am not sure I am ready to take her back there. She got a call from a bystander saying to "get over immediately, your husband is STILL talking". So she was in a some shock herself and got over to see traffic halted and the ambulance there and blood all over the place. Right now, I won't be able to drive since I can't use my right arm and my car is stick shift so I have to rely on her initially and then trade cars when I have decent control of arm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks guys for the nice morale boosters. It is helpful. Looking back:

• I never had anything like that riding a bike, so it was just a one time bad timing of all events.
  • If there was a car beside me rather than a bus, I bounce off the side.
  • If the light was not turning green, the bus would have not moved yet.
  • If there was nothing on the road, I would have never lost control in the first place (I have been on that road 1000x and it is only 2K from home)!

Of course this one is "pilot error". No one other than me did something wrong, but it was such a benign spot (all things considered) at low enough speed, that in the big scheme of lifetime riding and given the 1000x though this spot, this was an ultra low risk position on the road (yes, it still has risk, but it's all slow speed stuff in a residential neighborhood).

Will I treat this any differently when I get back to riding ? (actually I am glad I typed, that, yesterday I was wondering if riding was even worth it given my recent enjoyment in swimming and now losing swimming due to a riding hazard). I don't know I would do anything differently, but maybe keep a bette eye for hazard on silk smooth tarmac rather than letting my guard down. I will go with my wife back to the spot to see if the tarmac has been cut up by a utilty and patched poorly....if not, I just hit a rather hard litter object that I clearly had not seen in the morning sunlight (I was riding south east and maybe the item I hit was obsured by school bus shadow)

I am very happy to read that you are alive Dev! Scary stuff indeed. (*I can relate as a few years ago, I hit a curb and slid under a large 4WD truck between the front and the rear wheels and it rolled over me -without hitting me. Witnessed by the guy in the car behind who saw the whole thing in disbelief. Only a few broken ribs from initially hitting the ground)

Most bike crashes happen within several miles of home, on the way back. ?Fatigue/comfort with routes-who knows why. Continued vigilance is warranted these days on the road at all times to stay as safe as possible. It's funny how with trauma, we all replay it again and again, but often there is little to gain by doing this. Sh*t happens. Sometimes the cause is obvious and you can take corrective actions in the future but beating yourself up or playing the 'what if' game is unhealthy.

Keep your chin up. I've seen lots of trauma and you must work with your doctors in this early post injury period to minimize further issues-like compression syndrome and acute renal failure. Ice/hydration are key along with pain control. Was bicarb mentioned? Are they planning an MRI/CT scan or conservative Rx?

You'll know a lot more in one week but I'd be shocked if you weren't back on the bike much, much sooner than you think. Now swimming is a power motion which involves the arm a bit more so...probably a longer delay with that, how ironic...

When did the injury happen? PM me if I can be of help
Dale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, Dev — What a horrible incident. Glad you received good emergency care and survived to tell the tale.

So, are you typing with one hand? Or dictating your post? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
Geez, Dev — What a horrible incident. Glad you received good emergency care and survived to tell the tale.

So, are you typing with one hand? Or dictating your post? Inquiring minds want to know.

I THINK my wife would lose it if I was dictating posts for ST LOL! Yesterday her and my son at the hospital took over my phone and were responding to work emails as we have a major proposal due on Monday at 9 am for the Ontario Govt Smartgrid Fund (its a big deal if we win it) and there was a ton of last moment coordination with our team at work, our local electrical utility (whose CEO actually signed a support letter while I was in hospital and committed his people to the project) and the university campus partner who are deploying the renewable energy in their grid....in any case, my wife was on full startup founder role yesterday even though that is my job (like anything, when you do a startup, all the family gets involved)....so no, she is not typing. I actually can use my right hand to type when th entire chain from wrist to elbow is fully supported and I am just moving fingers. This is actually good news according to the docs!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident and ended up partially under School Bus [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dale, you are right there is no point in opening up the flight data recorder and replaying the chain of events forevery trying to fiigure out what happened and what I could have done differently as this won't change the past. I THINK once I see the location again (and I can't stop myself from wanting to see that part of the "flight data recorder"), can move forward, and focus on rehab and getting life quality back on track with whatever works (hopefully in due course all of the above).

So did you end under the truck in between the sets of wheels and came "out the back"?

Also docs want a follow up on Monday. I am hoping they MRI/CT scan the arm. I kind of wish they did that yesterday when I was in emergency as I would have jumped to the front of the Canadian healthcare line, but now I will be further down since I am not about to die.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 23, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad you're ok! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hi Dale, you are right there is no point in opening up the flight data recorder and replaying the chain of events forevery trying to fiigure out what happened and what I could have done differently as this won't change the past. I THINK once I see the location again (and I can't stop myself from wanting to see that part of the "flight data recorder"), can move forward, and focus on rehab and getting life quality back on track with whatever works (hopefully in due course all of the above).

So did you end under the truck in between the sets of wheels and came "out the back"?

Also docs want a follow up on Monday. I am hoping they MRI/CT scan the arm. I kind of wish they did that yesterday when I was in emergency as I would have jumped to the front of the Canadian healthcare line, but now I will be further down since I am not about to die.

Thinking about it is normal, just don't obsess. You'll get yourself sick trying to figure out why and there is often no answer. The fact they did not do imaging is good, as you had no fracture and the arterial supply was good (you weren't admitted). Don't fear antibiotics, as they will protect you from serious badness in this situation. Most soft tissue injuries just need time to heal anyway and are not operative and that's what this is-a crush injury. Actually, forearm or upper arm are the least risk types of crush injuries. All other areas are more trouble, if I remember what I was told previously.

I have 4 ortho docs due to the frequency of my own trauma (I'm hard on my body they say), and I love to chat with them when I see them all in my hospital, I stay up on ortho related issues, even though it is not my field of expertise.

Yep-I went right under that truck from the side and out the middle of the back! My helmet cracked from the initial fall but my cycling jersey had grease from the axle around my right shoulder and on my back so I'm guessing that hitting it stopped my motion sideways. I'm happy it was a big truck-ha! I look at that helmet on my shelf every day as a reminder prior to my outdoor rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you make a quick & full recovery

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you heal up fast !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry to hear this Dev. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, oh Dev! You are like a Pheonix! As always, you can PM us for any info or questions ref nerves, rehab, concussion, etc. Wish you well and safe. You are forever my inspiration
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there Dev -- I've seen some amazing recoveries from tough injuries (mom used to work in intensive-care unit). Heal up and then put in the work in PT and I'm sure you'll bounce back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much respect on your efforts to duplicate Frodeno's training regime.

Get well soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I did not even realize that you were riding again; you are a brave guy!!! I'm so glad your injuries were not any worse and that you're already on the road to recovery. As you alluded to, sure hope you recover full power in your arms and shoulders for swimming!!!

Best of luck,

Eric

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best for your recovery.

And a lot of kudos for your positive mindset. Like you said, it will help with getting better.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear that Dev, hope you heal quickly and strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit, dude! That really sucks, but count your lucky stars that it wasn’t much much worse. Hope your recovery goes well and keep us posted.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next