Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike/Run Brick Wear
Quote | Reply
Hey, complete newbie here. Just wondering what you guys generally wear to do a bike/run brick. Do you run in bike shorts, bike in running shorts, wear a tri suit, or get changed in between? I'm training for a sprint, so I will be wearing a tri suit on race day.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Run Brick Wear [MattRudd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the sport! I've done all of the above. Just have whatever you want to wear on the run ready where you finish your bike. An extra minute to change in training won't affect anything since you are not being timed. However, I would make sure that you simulate race day at least few times so that you can get your transitions down. Wear your tri suit for the bike and practice chanigng your shoes grabbing what you need and getting gone. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do all my training with my trisuit and then just stick a pair of proper shorts and a t shirt on over
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm planning to run after my bike workout, I'll bike in trishorts then throw on a t-shirt to run. The ladies I pass don't seem to mind the tight shorts.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Run Brick Wear [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha no issues here with tight shorts, I come from a cycling background. Gotta keep those tan lines razor sharp!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use tri shorts, I don't even own any bike shorts.

Sometimes I'll change my top to a running singlet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my tri suit, but my longest distance is 70.3.
I would go with your race wear at least a few times before the race.
If you’re doing 140.7 and plan on changing to running shorts after the bike, then train that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattRudd wrote:
Hey, complete newbie here. Just wondering what you guys generally wear to do a bike/run brick. Do you run in bike shorts, bike in running shorts, wear a tri suit, or get changed in between? I'm training for a sprint, so I will be wearing a tri suit on race day.

Cheers!

Depends on the bike plan. I run in whatever I bike in. I never do long runs in a brick---max 15-30 minute runs. So, I don't really care what I'm running in. Note that I don't do races longer than OLY.

My tri-suit isn't super comfortable---so, I usually don't wear it for rides longer than about 90 minutes. Thus for long bike/brick workouts I wear bike shorts. When I start doing race-sims, I will wear the tri-suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride indoors. Usually just have a pair of running shorts and shirt next to the bike. Nice to get out of the sweaty clothes even if it only lasts 2 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Run Brick Wear [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always switch to running shorts too. I'm not running around my neighborhood in tights if I don't have to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear a tri suit when biking or cycling clothes and then a few times I run in the tri suit and carry my nutrition so I can get used to having it all...I would suggest running in your trisuit once or twice before you race so you know what its like to bike and then run in it...and welcome :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear what is comfortable for the bike. For longer rides I wear bib shorts on the trainer. Most of my brick runs are 15 - 20 minutes. So, I will just throw on a shirt and run in the bibs. I wouldn’t do a marathon in them, but no harm for a short run off the bike.

There are times when I will change into some shorts, but this is not typical. Maybe only if I am wearing bibs with a thicker pad. Or if it’s a high traffic volume type of time of day. Don’t want to embarrass my kids :)

I run without socks. I would say training without them is propbably more important than what I am wearing for shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any and all options are acceptable.

For a longer brick session, I'll usually use my Tri suit, but sometimes I do short 'transition runs' following a bike ride. Since that is usually in my neighborhood and I'm likely to be seen / recognized, I keep a pair of looser shorts with my shoes in the garage. ( With my middel-aged body, I avoid tight clothes in public - YMMV ) I get in , rack the bike and throw my shorts on and go run a mile or two. Bike shorts with a larger chamois aren't ideal for running, but for a mile or two it's no big deal.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Run Brick Wear [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wear my tri suit, why bother throwing on extra clothes over the top? Waste of time and just creates extra washing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a TYR two piece for bricks since I no longer race in that.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply