Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug
Quote | Reply
I will be pulling so hard for him to do this and making time to watch live.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's got a good shot I think.

After his last attempt he mentioned in an interview almost using a modified superman position that he got in the UCI regs... I wonder if he breaks that out :D

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he riding the Argon or Pinarello ?
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Good question. Friday we'll know which bike is more aero I would guess, as he's not required to ride the Ineos kit.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan has this. It'll be an interesting dry run for some of the things we might see before Ganna takes his shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
marcag wrote:

Good question. Friday we'll know which bike is more aero I would guess, as he's not required to ride the Ineos kit.

He has also been riding a P5-6 in TTs lately, though I can't imagine he'd be on that for a track event. Their Argon setup and what he did with the Danes is as dialed as it gets. It will be interesting to see his choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He praises the team support and specifically Pinarello and Bioracer, so that must be what he is using... and he's probably sponsorship ($$$) obligated.

The Hour Record has definitely become its own thing. Amazing how well Bigham has done compared to his TT accomplishments. Science and determination...

You'd think Ganna could smoke the Hour with his talent and track experience. No interest though?
EDIT: Doh... he's definitely interested, but no firm date..
Last edited by: rruff: Aug 16, 22 16:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet pain...

Last edited by: rruff: Aug 16, 22 17:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can you watch live?
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on the Ineos Youtube channel I believe
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
He praises the team support and specifically Pinarello and Bioracer, so that must be what he is using... and he's probably sponsorship ($$$) obligated.

The Hour Record has definitely become its own thing. Amazing how well Bigham has done compared to his TT accomplishments. Science and determination...

You'd think Ganna could smoke the Hour with his talent and track experience. No interest though?
EDIT: Doh... he's definitely interested, but no firm date..

I could easily be wrong here but I would expect to see him in a custom Vorteq suit, shoe covers, etc., helmet will be the Kask, the Argon/Pinarello debate will be down to whatever he’s tested faster - unless he’s gotten a fully custom 3d printed cockpit, I would expect to see the Argon with Wattshop Axia kit. I’m not sure the wheels unless PCD or someone has made a special track disc set and Tire will probably be the Pista Speed unless Conti has a secret up their sleeve with some ProLTD stuff. For the Cog, Chainring and chain, I wonder if he will use the “New Motion Labs” or the GB smaller pitched gear?
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be surprised if he using anything other than a fully custom/3D printed cockpit. If it's worth 2 watts that still huge to someone who "only needs 7-10watts".

I really love this attempt. Dan's an amazing cyclist, but a full step below world tour level. It's purely his technical knowledge that makes him competitive for this event. Similar to Graeme Obree.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant wait to see this and calculate what is going on. Dan has been very kind and open about things in the past so I'm curious what details he does or does not share under the Ineos umbrella. This is never a sure fire thing, but I feel really good about his chances.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
I really love this attempt. Dan's an amazing cyclist, but a full step below world tour level. It's purely his technical knowledge that makes him competitive for this event. Similar to Graeme Obree.
No so. Yes, what Dan is attempting is amazing, and all the best to him, but Obree was a creative, imaginative, out-of-the-box thinker, which has been replaced by Uber expensive bicycles and clothing - all due to the UCI. I need a bumper sticker that reads "Absolutely define a bicycle, but don't tell me how to sit on it"!
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan operates within the UCI regulations offered to him and has turned everything upside down with what he brings to the table. He completely changed track cycling. Graeme was amazing and so is Dan. End of story.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read somewhere (rumour) that he is waiting for some of those silly UCI rules to be modified next year that will allow a guy his size (he is about 6'4") to dial in a more aerodynamic position without too uncomfortable angles. I think he can go 57.5 kph.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
mathematics wrote:
No so. Yes, what Dan is attempting is amazing, and all the best to him, but Obree was a creative, imaginative, out-of-the-box thinker, which has been replaced by Uber expensive bicycles and clothing - all due to the UCI. I need a bumper sticker that reads "Absolutely define a bicycle, but don't tell me how to sit on it"!

I'd say they're both creative out-of-the-box thinkers, Bigham is just more constrained by UCI rules. Even without UCI rules, the tech of today is not really something where you can weld together your own frame and be anywhere near the top. Even if we toss out all the rules and go full-fairing recumbent, the ability to mold a large fiberglass fairing like that goes well beyond the ability of a custom frame-builder.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Read somewhere (rumour) that he is waiting for some of those silly UCI rules to be modified next year that will allow a guy his size (he is about 6'4") to dial in a more aerodynamic position without too uncomfortable angles. I think he can go 57.5 kph.

Supposedly he is still going for it this year, but my understanding is that they have already tested a new position that take advantage of the new rules for next year. Given that, I would wait unless you want data and experience from a previous ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
I could easily be wrong here but I would expect to see him in a custom Vorteq suit, shoe covers, etc., helmet will be the Kask, the Argon/Pinarello debate will be down to whatever he’s tested faster - unless he’s gotten a fully custom 3d printed cockpit, I would expect to see the Argon with Wattshop Axia kit. I’m not sure the wheels unless PCD or someone has made a special track disc set and Tire will probably be the Pista Speed unless Conti has a secret up their sleeve with some ProLTD stuff. For the Cog, Chainring and chain, I wonder if he will use the “New Motion Labs” or the GB smaller pitched gear?

This is why I said he'll be on a Pinarello with a Bioracer suit. "And having access to all of the team’s partners has been massive for me. The amount of support that Pinarello have put into this project by bringing a new, incredibly high-level bike to the table in such a short space of time is pretty astronomical. We’ve done a huge amount of skin suit testing with Bioracer over the past six months too." https://www.velonews.com/...mpt-uci-hour-record/
Quote Reply
Re: Bigham hour attempt- 19Aug [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

Supposedly he is still going for it this year, but my understanding is that they have already tested a new position that take advantage of the new rules for next year. Given that, I would wait unless you want data and experience from a previous ride.

I get that the UCI can't "math" to save their lives templating bikes (heard from those on the forums that have to), but the true solution would be a ratio and not "buckets" based on height. The new "buckets" of height ranges is better, but not best.

You still wind up with the person at one end of the bucket having an advantage over the person on the other end of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

I get that the UCI can't "math" to save their lives templating bikes (heard from those on the forums that have to), but the true solution would be a ratio and not "buckets" based on height. The new "buckets" of height ranges is better, but not best.

You still wind up with the person at one end of the bucket having an advantage over the person on the other end of it.

I personally think the rationale behind the rules is not very scientific. Of course I am going to play this card, but triathletes are allowed to choose whatever position they want, yet you don't see anyone sitting on the top tube, on 88 degree seat posts or with very eccentric and unstable bike positions. Seems like the opposite to me. To the best of my limited knowledge, I don't think triathletes crash more often than cyclists in TT events and they don't use UCI legal positions. On the other hand, for many of us, and aero and UCI legal position can even compromise sighting not to mention that feels weird and uncomfortable. Same goes for equipment (although these rules annoy me less), many of the fastest bike splits at triathlon races are done on frames that actually resemble a traditional bicycle (e.g. Giant Trinity, Canyon Speedmax, Cervelo P5)

Maybe one day UCI will hire someone with a bit of common sense and just ditch all these silly rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link yet? I looked at Ineos page on youtube and didnt see it yet. Checked UCI page also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

I personally think the rationale behind the rules is not very scientific. Of course I am going to play this card, but triathletes are allowed to choose whatever position they want, yet you don't see anyone sitting on the top tube, on 88 degree seat posts or with very eccentric and unstable bike positions. Seems like the opposite to me. To the best of my limited knowledge, I don't think triathletes crash more often than cyclists in TT events and they don't use UCI legal positions. On the other hand, for many of us, and aero and UCI legal position can even compromise sighting not to mention that feels weird and uncomfortable. Same goes for equipment (although these rules annoy me less), many of the fastest bike splits at triathlon races are done on frames that actually resemble a traditional bicycle (e.g. Giant Trinity, Canyon Speedmax, Cervelo P5)

Maybe one day UCI will hire someone with a bit of common sense and just ditch all these silly rules.

Many of the crashing things could be because from the limited tri bike legs that I know they are as boring as the TT's in the US stage racing scene. Mostly out and back with little else to do other than to be aero and push the pedals. As soon as a technical section comes into play I'd say the average triathlete is approximately 10 times more likely to crash, thus trigger the modern stereotype. Also as triathletes have to complete the 3rd leg after the bike, I've never seen a triathlete go as deep on the bike at UCI pursuits, hour records or TT's. Maybe the shorter, more intense effort leads UCI athletes to make more mistakes.

With that said though, you can look at nearly every modern UCI aero positioning rule and not only call their bluff on the safety aspect but also trace it back to an innovation in the sport they they didn't like. Think the funny bikes, Obree, superman, praying mantis, puppy paws, etc. I agree getting rid of most of those ideas to maintain the historical ideologies of the sport (double triangle frames, etc.) could really be interesting but I don't expect it any time soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably won’t start until the day of the event, which is Friday?
Quote Reply

Prev Next