Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big tires make for calmer riding
Quote | Reply
So getting set for the Belgian Waffle Ride, which is a mixed surface epic, I've been experimenting with tire and bike setup, specifically with how much rubber I can get on the bike. I've got my Cyclo Cross bike set up with a bigger crank and 35mm Schwalbe tubeless tires ( Allarounds) and I was amazed at how it changed the riding experience.

On a ~ 5:00 PM loop, with steady commuter traffic, I just stayed to the right and steamrollered over small road debris, manhole covers and glittery bits of broken glass. On my roadie or tri bike, I'm forever swerving to avoid minor obstacles which puts me closer to traffic and probably makes me look unpredictable to drivers approaching from the rear.

Does anybody else notice that effect ?

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Big tires make for calmer riding [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’m the same way. 23mm on tri bike and 40mm on the gravel bike.

For me, it’s a confidence thing. Still trying to build it up on the tri bike, but in the gravel bike with fatter tires, I am so much less worried about punctures and losing traction.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Big tires make for calmer riding [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
On a ~ 5:00 PM loop, with steady commuter traffic, I just stayed to the right and steamrollered over small road debris, manhole covers and glittery bits of broken glass. On my roadie or tri bike, I'm forever swerving to avoid minor obstacles which puts me closer to traffic and probably makes me look unpredictable to drivers approaching from the rear.

Does anybody else notice that effect ?

In terms of bumps? Sure. It's something I need to be consciously aware of when I use my gravel bike on road rides, to be polite when picking lines during a pull. There are things that its enormous tires can glide over effortlessly that are a bit uncomfortable on a skinny-tired bike.

In terms of the broken glass, kinda/sorta. In my experience, there does seem to be some merit to the hypothesis that super-low pressures can reduce punctures. But it doesn't make a non-invincible tire invincible. On the other hand, wider tires do often get set up tubeless, and the lower pressures do work very well with sealant.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Mar 23, 18 10:23
Quote Reply