Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big phone in jersey pocket - will it launch?
Quote | Reply
So I went from a Galaxy S10e to Note 20. Old phone fit fully inside the rear jersey pocket, so the elastic went over the top of it, keeping the phone very secure. New phone sticks out about 1".

Will it launch if I hit an unexpected bump while road cycling? Or is this normal and I'm just overthinking it?
Quote Reply
Re: Big phone in jersey pocket - will it launch? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
So I went from a Galaxy S10e to Note 20. Old phone fit fully inside the rear jersey pocket, so the elastic went over the top of it, keeping the phone very secure. New phone sticks out about 1".

Will it launch if I hit an unexpected bump while road cycling? Or is this normal and I'm just overthinking it?
Not a direct answer to your question, but I've started buying specialized jerseys as they have a zipper pocket in the back for the phone because I'm nervous about launching my phone into traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not trust it in my opinion, but there is no way to know I suppose

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put an S21 in my jersey pockets without an issue. The not 20 is just a little bigger.

You can put it in your center pocket and turn it sideways so it wedges in the bottom of the pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put my iphone in a waterproof case that sticks out my back pockets. It has never launched, ever, and yesterday I hit a pothole big enough to flat my rear tire, knock my front brake magnetic aero cap off, and almost send me flying. The thing with jersey pockets is that they are basically super shock absorbers since they are soft and pliable. If your jersey was as hard as plastic/metal, yeah, it would go flying. Of course, if you stuff that rear pocket so full that it's stretched out, then it'll start launching stuff when you bounce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Makes me think of this

https://vimeo.com/56525357

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a holster with clip, which clips tightly to my jersey pocket. Also provides some protection for the phone. Never had a problem with it launching.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kingsource-vertical-swivel-belt-clip-holster-pouch-belt-case-with-clip-holster-cover-cell-phone-pouch-holder-sleeve/13837743
Quote Reply
Re: Big phone in jersey pocket - will it launch? [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had mine launch when i was riding my fixed gear bike and hit a minor road bump. So I carry it in a flip belt https://flipbelt.com/ love this belt cause its good for running too, carry small water bottles with sugar/salt mix in them. Maybe you can stich a zipper in for your jersey pockets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple phones seen launched.
Some were just riding really bouncy, or rapidly shifting weight in aero.
The tightness and elasticity of your Jersey also plays a role.
The heavier the phone, the easier it is launched.

Physics....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Note 9. It's never launched, but most of my jerseys are aero fitted. I notice it moving around a bit more if I have a looser one on, but not on the verge of ejecting.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my phone launch from my pocket only once. Scenario was: Gravel riding, in virtual aero bars position with head down on a long flat stretch of gravel. Phone was in side jersey pocket and had a water bottle in middle jersey pocket. Hit a pothole so hard that it bruised my forearms. I almost came off the bike. I think the spare bottle stretched things and opened up the side pocket a bit. Barring that perfect storm scenario, I've never had an issue. s10e. My wife has the same phone and has never had it come out, even though she rides aero position a lot and it sticks out of the her small-sized jersey pockets all day every day.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a cheap answer is to wrap a few thick rubber bands around it. it increases the friction of the phone to the point where it's tougher to slide it out. no guarantee of anything, of course, but it costs a quarter and is better than nothing. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Big phone in jersey pocket - will it launch? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stress about this. I actually wrap my phone in small washcloth sized towel. I figure the cloth on cloth is better than cloth on plastic case.
Quote Reply
Re: Big phone in jersey pocket - will it launch? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
a cheap answer is to wrap a few thick rubber bands around it. it increases the friction of the phone to the point where it's tougher to slide it out. no guarantee of anything, of course, but it costs a quarter and is better than nothing. . .

On a similar note, I find a silicone phone case provides enough friction that the phone doesn't move (even when sticking out the top of the pocket). Without a case the phone slides a lot more.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Big phone in jersey pocket - will it launch? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I put an S21 in my jersey pockets without an issue. The not 20 is just a little bigger.

You can put it in your center pocket and turn it sideways so it wedges in the bottom of the pocket.

This gives me some confidence. But does your phone stick out at all past the pocket? My Note doesn't stick out on my Castelli jersey because the pockets are deep enough. But my Arden jersey isn't as deep.

lightheir wrote:
I put my iphone in a waterproof case that sticks out my back pockets. It has never launched, ever, and yesterday I hit a pothole big enough to flat my rear tire, knock my front brake magnetic aero cap off, and almost send me flying. The thing with jersey pockets is that they are basically super shock absorbers since they are soft and pliable. If your jersey was as hard as plastic/metal, yeah, it would go flying. Of course, if you stuff that rear pocket so full that it's stretched out, then it'll start launching stuff when you bounce.

This is also reassuring. It does feel a bit bouncy, which made me think it could either act like a shock absorber and help, or act like a trampoline and make it launch!

IM_Rick wrote:
I use a holster with clip, which clips tightly to my jersey pocket. Also provides some protection for the phone. Never had a problem with it launching.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kingsource-vertical-swivel-belt-clip-holster-pouch-belt-case-with-clip-holster-cover-cell-phone-pouch-holder-sleeve/13837743

This is very practical. Do you clip it to the inside?

windschatten wrote:
Couple phones seen launched.
Some were just riding really bouncy, or rapidly shifting weight in aero.
The tightness and elasticity of your Jersey also plays a role.
The heavier the phone, the easier it is launched.

Physics....

Theoretical physics and practical physics rarely play out the same with this many variables :/ If you've see some launch, I don't think it's worth the risk without fixing it in place somehow.

Titanflexr wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

On a similar note, I find a silicone phone case provides enough friction that the phone doesn't move (even when sticking out the top of the pocket). Without a case the phone slides a lot more.

Another clever trick! I think I'll test some of these one out (jumping up and down inside, first)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife rides with a Pixel 4 xl. So far no issues in the kits that she wears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the sticky pod cycle bag for my iPhone 12. It’s not quite as large as your phone but the back of the bag has rubber dots to help with friction and it’s waterproof. I put a pump some cash and a tire lever in there without issue. Fits snug in my middle pocket and hasn’t moved despite all my bunny hopping our area potholes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't stick out of bike jersey pocket.

Does stick out of tri jersey pockets. I'm a little concerned but haven't had an incident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sticks out of the pocket but I’ve never launched it on road rides, MB rides or gravel rides and I’ve hit some pretty good bumps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Note 2 and Note 4 and never had an issue with them in my Jersey pocket. The middle pocket was usually the tightest to I went for that one.

If you're still concerned invest in a something like a Quadlock. I use one on my motorbike and my current phone is clamped in and going nowhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same concern going from Galaxy to a Moto G Power, at 6.3" the new phone also sticks out of the jersey pocket by a bit..
It's in a hard case for protection, ride MTB on trails torn to pieces by heedless horse riders, plenty bumps and it hasn't launched yet..
Last edited by: doug in co: May 19, 21 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Big phone in jersey pocket - will it launch? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Sounds reassuring enough, but theres a mix of reviews. Maybe I'll test it out once I'm a bit closer to my next phone upgrade.
Quote Reply