Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year fellow ST'ers!

I wanted to alert you to the start of the10th anniversary edition of our annual, full-year, ST Endurance Points challenge: The Big Kahuna 10. Hard to believe this will be the 10th year!

Like the 100/100 challenge, just enroll and as you record your workouts on ST you automatically join the Leader Board. Last year we had 144 participants, double where we were in 2016. In 2020 we have the same three levels as in the past:

Gold: 18,000 points or 1,500/mth
Silver: 15,000 points or 1,250/mth
Bronze: 12,000 points or 1,000/mth

In addition, in honor of the 10th anniversary, we are adding "The Big Kahuna" designation to anyone that can do 20,000 points. (I'm looking at providing a nice T-shirt to anyone that does!).

To give you a sense of what these numbers mean, over the last 4 years (Big Kahuna 6-9), which is all the history I can see on the website, here is the % of participants who reached (at least) each level:

Big Kahuna: 2.1%
Gold: 5.5
Silver: 11.5
Bronze: 18.0

In 2019, we had 5 individuals reach the Big Kahuna level after having zero the last two years. The top five scores (again for BK 6-9) to date are:

anakinpm 23,849 (BK9)
TriathlonJoe 23,782 (BK9)
stillmoving 22,121 (BK9)
stillmoving 21,830 (BK6)
devilish_paul 21,042 (BK6)

The top score by year:

2019: anakinpm 23,849
2018: SANCON7 19,629
2017: devanish_paul 19,779
2016: stillmoving 21,830

As you might guess from the above, stillmoving and devilish_paul are frequent residents at the top of the leaderboard. In fact stillmoving has been there for all of the last 4 years.

Anyways, more is not always better, but many times for me personally, more is in-fact better and sometimes being in a challenge like this helps you get the work done.

Come join the fun and see if you have what it takes to become the first group of ST Big Kahunas!

BTW--a special thanks to Slowman and ericthebiking for once again enabling this great tradition!

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Last edited by: rcmioga: Jan 2, 20 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for setting up the challenge. For those of us who don't know, how are aerobic points assigned?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you spelled dev's name wrong, though "Devilish" is kind of funny.
I only nabbed a bronze in 2019, though have medalled in all years of the challenge. Here we go again!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jan 2, 20 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for setting up the challenge. For those of us who don't know, how are aerobic points assigned?

1 mi run = 4 pts
1 mi bike = 1 pt
100 yd swim = 1 pt

Slowman came up with that system years ago.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jan 7, 20 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed Dr. Tchick! dev has always been a bit of the devil!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
In 2019, we had 5 individuals reach the Big Kahuna level after having zero the last two years. The top five scores (again for BK 6-9) to date are:

anakinpm 23,849 (BK9)
stillmoving 22,121 (BK9)
stillmoving 21,830 (BK6)

The top score by year:

Shouldn't I get some kind of T-shirt for breaking the record? 2019 was already very hard... and I don't know if I'll find the motivation to do it again in 2020 haha.

By the way, I didn't expect to "beat" TriathlonJoe. He was leading by at least a thousand points the whole year. I guess my 1 hr ride followed by a marathon for New Year's eve made the difference
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Shouldn't I get some kind of T-shirt for breaking the record?
2019 was already very hard... and I don't know if I'll find the motivation to do it again in 2020 haha.

trying to decide what it would say
"Biggest Kahuna"
?

Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Shouldn't I get some kind of T-shirt for breaking the record?
2019 was already very hard... and I don't know if I'll find the motivation to do it again in 2020 haha.

trying to decide what it would say
"Biggest Kahuna"
?

I settle for anything as long it's free ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Happy New Year fellow ST'ers!

I wanted to alert you to the start of the10th anniversary edition of our annual, full-year, ST Endurance Points challenge: The Big Kahuna 10. Hard to believe this will be the 10th year!

Like the 100/100 challenge, just enroll and as you record your workouts on ST you automatically join the Leader Board. Last year we had 144 participants, double where we were in 2016. In 2020 we have the same three levels as in the past:

Gold: 18,000 points or 1,500/mth
Silver: 15,000 points or 1,250/mth
Bronze: 12,000 points or 1,000/mth

In addition, in honor of the 10th anniversary, we are adding "The Big Kahuna" designation to anyone that can do 20,000 points. (I'm looking at providing a nice T-shirt to anyone that does!).

To give you a sense of what these numbers mean, over the last 4 years (Big Kahuna 6-9), which is all the history I can see on the website, here is the % of participants who reached (at least) each level:

Big Kahuna: 2.1%
Gold: 5.5
Silver: 11.5
Bronze: 18.0

anakinpm 23,849 (BK9)
stillmoving 22,121 (BK9)
stillmoving 21,830 (BK6)

The top score by year:

As you might guess from the above, stillmoving and devilish_paul are frequent residents at the top of the leaderboard. In fact stillmoving has been there for all of the last 4 years.

Anyways, more is not always better, but many times for me personally, more is in-fact better and sometimes being in a challenge like this helps you get the work done.

Come join the fun and see if you have what it takes to become the first group of ST Big Kahunas!

BTW--a special thanks to Slowman and ericthebiking for once again enabling this great tradition!

rc

How are points assigned for indoor trainer rides or don’t they count?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any riding session is counted by miles. Not very accurate in case of indoor rides, but I guess nobody will ride 50 miles per hour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the bigger issue is under-representing rides done in erg mode where the speed is super low (like 10mph) regardless of the wattage output.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol. Man I was all geared up to CRUSH the last week of the year. I'm talking having to work 5 hours a week crush kind of last two weeks and then..............my wife brought home the FLU. Even though I got the flu shot, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I did absolutely nothing from the 27th until the new year.

And, and, and, I'm already behind because I'm dealing with a 3 day hangover from NYE.

But congrats on winning. I'm signing up today, and I'm gunning for you! :D
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
lol. Man I was all geared up to CRUSH the last week of the year. I'm talking having to work 5 hours a week crush kind of last two weeks and then..............my wife brought home the FLU. Even though I got the flu shot, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I did absolutely nothing from the 27th until the new year.

And, and, and, I'm already behind because I'm dealing with a 3 day hangover from NYE.

But congrats on winning. I'm signing up today, and I'm gunning for you! :D

You should get extra points just for that and for having a wife too! I'm single and work 50 hours a week so it's kind of "easier".

I need to rest a little and don't pay attention to volumes for a while... but count me in for 2020. Let's just hope we are all healthy. First semester of 2019 I had to go easy due to ITB issues...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:
You should get extra points just for that and for having a wife too!

I don't think there's a category for that, or what the "Aerobic Points" algorithm might be

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, I still have ~30 km of climbing until I get my tron bike in Zwift. Guess I'll be paying a distance penalty doing Alpe du Zwift repeats until then.

Do you need to manually sync Strava every so often, or should the activities come in automatically? My account is connected to Slowtwitch, and when I went to check my Slowtwitch totals for the first time in a couple months, none of my recent workouts were there. They showed up after a manual sync on the Slowtwitch Strava Integration page.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't think there's a category for that, or what the "Aerobic Points" algorithm might be

I described it above

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... how do we enroll?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have to manually sync. There's 2 options, a fast (last 14 days) and a long (last 120 days). Depending on the number of activites, you might have to the long sync multiple times.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the training log and look at the ‘challenges’ at the top of the log. Click on enroll.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm in.

Just out of curiosity, what's the total number of kms for each sport you'd need to achieve each of the thresholds? E.g. a big Kahuna typically has xxxx kms running, xxxx cycling, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 20k+ this year and had about 280k of swim yards, 12,000 miles on my bike and about 1400 run miles. Most people will have a lot more swim and run than I (at least proportionately!)

Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Randy, my last 4 years have been swim heavy, with a target of 100km per month. Last year roughly I did 400 hrs swimming and under 200 hrs cycling and just over 150 hrs running. This year, I will be dialing back the swim to around 320 hrs, and doing more cycling and touch more running as I want to do more triathlons. Last year I managed to get back into running realistically in March and do triathlons in the summer, but running and tris were not in the plan. This year, I have signed up something like 6 Olympic tris and a half IM already (Dubai) and likely going to do one more in the summer or fall, plus 8 swim meets and likely a 12km lake crossing swim at Tremblant.

With respect to this challenges and previous years. My approach for the last 40 years since I was a 14 year old athlete is almost identical. Train 2 hours a day, preferably an early morning workout or lunch workout (or when I was in High School/College, a late afrernoon workout with whatever team I was on depending on the season at hand). Roughly I have kept the same identical routine that I developed as a teenage athlete, I just kept changing which sports are being done....they have ranged from track to tennis, to soccer, to swimming to XC skiing, to the tri sports, to weight lifting....whatever. Aside for a few months of my life when I have been in rehab, not much changed in terms of the "habit of training". Its part of what keeps me going. My family gets it and aside from a few times when I went overboard (and needed intervention for my own good....this is what your spouse and kids are good at), they always supported it.

I just got off a 1 hour run and 30 min hard set of intervals on the trainer this morning, and heading for 2-2.5 hrs on XC skis this afternoon.

In the last two years having my own tech company on the one hand you would think that I have all this flex being my own boss....in practice, what I have found is that I am only the boss of myself from 5:30 am to 7 am (and even then early morning calls to Asia and Middle east are eating into that) and after 9:30 pm....but I do have the flexibility of grabbing a 45 min window anytime during the day for a run, so this has opened up some more possibilities this year now that I am running again. Bike commuting to work is very helpful, but I have to wait 3 more months for the snow to melt for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

1 mi run = 4 pts
4 mi bike = 1 pt
100 yd swim = 1 pt

Isn't the bike 1 mile = 1 point?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 10: ST Annual Workout Point Challenge [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
1 mi run = 4 pts
4 mi bike = 1 pt
100 yd swim = 1 pt

Isn't the bike 1 mile = 1 point?

yup. I'll edit

Quote Reply

Prev Next