Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big Island (Hawaii) - Gravel Rides?
Quote | Reply
Anyone recommend some good rides on the BI? Will be staying in Waikoloa in April for spring break. Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Island (Hawaii) - Gravel Rides? [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hamakua Coast has tons of abandoned eucalyptus logging roads. Don't get lost! Get a map

I really like the Kahuku Volcano access park way down south. 20 miles of nice gravel criss crossing through idyllic ranch land and open forest.

The high road from Na'alehu to Pahala is amazing. Mix of old asphalt, gravel and tarmac as I recall. I think it about 15 mile one way then you can come back on the high way. park at Whittington Beach so you can have a ripping dh back to the car.

Up by waikaloa check out the Ku'a Bay. See that nice little cinder cone? From the highway on the south side a rough gravel road traverses its flank then hits the ocean and heads south to Makalewena . Have to push bike on some beach sections... The makalwena access road is cool, you can just ride across raw smooth lava for miles either way.

Oh yeah, one time I circumnavigated the Kona airport on old gravel road. Come back out the energy lab.

Google earth is your friend. you can see every thing in the lava fields. I always wanted to go to south point and then bike up the eastern coast,
Last edited by: JYoung: Jan 20, 20 16:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sailnfast wrote:
Anyone recommend some good rides on the BI? Will be staying in Waikoloa in April for spring break. Thx!

Mana Road near Waimea goes for miles and eventually connects to the Mauna Kea access road. The lower part of the road should be good for gravel bike.

If you make your way to Volcano or Pahoa/Puna you can do a loop using highway and chain of craters road linking in the gravel escape road.

You could also check out Mud Lane east of Waimea and drop down north to Waipio Road. You could then give the nasty 25% road down to Waipio Valley a shot if you have the gearing to climb back out. Waipio Road back to Honokaa and then across Hwy to Old Mamalahoa Hwy then nice climb on low traffic road back to Mud Lane would be a nice loop.

From Waikoloa without shuttling road riding is easiest. Two ways up to Waimea, two ways up to Saddle Road, Hawi and beyond to Pololu, and Kohala Mtn Road either direction.

Along the north coast between Mahukona and Pololu there are numerous old roads to the coast. You can ride the old rail grade a couple miles north out of Mahukona Harbor. The coast guard road links to Upolu Airport along the coast where you can will pass Kameameah’s birthplace. Several Roads north of Hawi you could explore. Then past Hawi and Kapaau there is a gravel road to the now removed Kauhola Point Lighthouse site. There are some gravel tracks here along the coast. Kona week this year the Enve crew road this spot and put together some good video and drone video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just on Mauna Kea. I believe there's a gravel road that traverses around the "east" side starting just a few miles up the access road. Would sure be an epic gravel ride and I think google maps shows that coming out at Waimea!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply