Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big Cushion? Big Road Feel? Poll at right (or below, depending on desktop or handheld)
Quote | Reply
if there are questions about this poll which, upon knowing the answer, would aid you in responding to the poll, please advise and i'll answer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Big Cushion? Big Road Feel? Poll at right (or below, depending on desktop or handheld) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you call :

road feel : race flats such as NB 1400, 1500, Adios, Streak, .... (less than 20mm forefoot cushion)

average : classic trainer with some but not "a lot" of forefoot cushion such as Brooks Ghost, NB 1080, ... (21 to 25 mm forefoot cushion)

cushy : Clifton 5 or 6, Bondi 6, Carbon X, Next %, new Endorphin Pro and Speed, .... (26+ mm forefoot cushion)
Quote Reply
Re: Big Cushion? Big Road Feel? Poll at right (or below, depending on desktop or handheld) [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
I guess you call :

road feel : race flats such as NB 1400, 1500, Adios, Streak, .... (less than 20mm forefoot cushion)

average : classic trainer with some but not "a lot" of forefoot cushion such as Brooks Ghost, NB 1080, ... (21 to 25 mm forefoot cushion)

cushy : Clifton 5 or 6, Bondi 6, Carbon X, Next %, new Endorphin Pro and Speed, .... (26+ mm forefoot cushion)

yeah. pretty much. obviously the difference in materials would matter. is a newton distance "medium" or is it more of a "responsive" shoe? depends on whether the distance between the bottom of the lug and the forefoot is designed to provide a fulcrum, or is it also to provide cushion? but, yeah, that's the idea.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Big Cushion? Big Road Feel? Poll at right (or below, depending on desktop or handheld) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple thoughts on the new Nike shoes.

Came from a high-performance run back ground in the late 1970's early 1980's into triathlon. A "Racing Shoe" or "Racing Flat" from my experience from years ago was always a minimalist affair. We trained in "Trainers" that were heavier, clunkier, had more heel lift, and more padding and support, but for racing, you pulled out the "Flats". On the track we wore spikes, which were even more minimalist that the road flats - essentially like running barefoot - with spikes embedded in your forefoot!

The ride of the classic Racing Flat, and for sure the track spike was very firm. Depending on how thin the midsole actually was, you could feel small pebbles on the road or the track through the shoe! But we associated this firm ride with being fast!

I don't run anymore, but I triathlete friend of mine had a pair of the Nike 4% in my size, in the trunk of his car. After we finished up a bike ride I noticed the shoes again, and I asked if I could put them on and run around the parking lot.

First impressions - from what I considered a "racing shoe", albeit from the past, they seemed to have a lot of cushioning, and the ride felt kind of "mushy", not firm - like I was kind of running in quick sand. But I'm not doubting the claims and the actual data, that the shoes are making runners on average about 4% more efficient, which does translate, all things going well, into faster running!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Big Cushion? Big Road Feel? Poll at right (or below, depending on desktop or handheld) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
First impressions - from what I considered a "racing shoe", albeit from the past, they seemed to have a lot of cushioning, and the ride felt kind of "mushy", not firm - like I was kind of running in quick sand. But I'm not doubting the claims and the actual data, that the shoes are making runners on average about 4% more efficient, which does translate, all things going well, into faster running!
This is exactly how I felt the first time I ran in the Next%s. They were just so mushy. But then I ran fast in them and didn't have sore legs, so I'm not exactly complaining :P

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you can't do it with this poll, but it would be interesting to see the voting breakdowns by age and weight.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 16, 19 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a long time runner and adidas user I cant imagine going back to a traditional non Boost shoe now.
I remember the hard as a rock feel of traditional EVA racing flats and feeling kind of beat up after a race which is pretty much non existent now.
I almost wish there was a tad bit more boost material in the forefoot of the adios....
Also, Im 53 so wanting a cushioned shoe has increased as Ive gotten older.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Cushion? Big Road Feel? Poll at right (or below, depending on desktop or handheld) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the ride felt kind of "mushy", not firm - like I was kind of running in quick sand."
----------------------------
To me they feel springy not mushy. To me, mushy does not bounce back . . . these do! IMO Pebax is the real deal. I would be shocked if it didn't spread like wildfire over the next 18 months or so. That foam is a game changer and makes my old shoes feel flat.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply