Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for two items:

1. Regular cycling bib shorts with a minimal pad
2. Thermal bib tights (long leg) with a minimal pad

Any suggestions as to where to start looking? For the thermal bib tights, I'm just looking for something to break the wind a bit. I don't need a lot of insulation by any stretch. As always, thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like the pads, so very very rarely use bibs.

I generally use trishorts with chamois instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Any suggestions as to where to start looking? For the thermal bib tights, I'm just looking for something to break the wind a bit. I don't need a lot of insulation by any stretch. As always, thanks in advance.

what you want, then, is a tri bib. i believe de soto makes these. it's basically a cycling bib but with a tri short pad.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This DeSoto tri bib might be what you’re looking for.

http://www.desotosport.com/...ucts/riviera-fli-bib

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Desoto’s website:

“The Carrera Tri Short has a Fleece Invisipad and the Mobius Tri Short also has a fleece pad. This is called minimal padding and provide sufficient padding to those who are confortable enough with the existing padding found on their bike. All other shorts have our new Clasico Intergrated Pad Technology.â€

I believe the OP is looking for a bib with something equivalent to the fleece pad in the Carrera short. Which, btw, put two of us in the market for such a bib.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
From Desoto’s website:

“The Carrera Tri Short has a Fleece Invisipad and the Mobius Tri Short also has a fleece pad. This is called minimal padding and provide sufficient padding to those who are confortable enough with the existing padding found on their bike. All other shorts have our new Clasico Intergrated Pad Technology.â€

I believe the OP is looking for a bib with something equivalent to the fleece pad in the Carrera short. Which, btw, put two of us in the market for such a bib.

Scott

i have exactly what you want. i have a de soto tri bib with a fleece pad. i think it must have been either an early version or a prototype. what they now sell is the ceramico pad, which is half as thick as the pad that goes into the 400 mile bib.

still, i don't think you'd be unhappy with de soto's tri bib. i've run in it plenty and i don't feel at all as if i'm running in a diaper (which is a little what i feel like when i'm running in a cycling bib). even with the ceramico pad i think i'd be quite happy in the tri bib.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
———————-
I also have a tri bib with the fleece pad but I believe they no longer make this. Like Dan posted the new Riviera Clasico (thickness 7mm) is sweet. I’m a fan of the 400mi bibs but since I’m no longer riding over 50mi I’ll be going with the Riviera tri bibs for my next riding bibs.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

what you want, then, is a tri bib. i believe de soto makes these. it's basically a cycling bib but with a tri short pad.

+1. I have 3 of these and they are awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also buy a trisuit (and throw a cycling shirt over it if you don’t like the look)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find anything?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nada.

IMO, thereÂ’s a market opening for such a product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree!

For me, itÂ’s all about the trainer. My cycling bibs serve me well out on the road. However, any pad at all becomes a problem with my sweat rate on the trainer.

As a result, I save my bibs for the road and go with DeSotoÂ’s fleece lined tri-shorts on the trainer.

Would be happy to have the best of both worlds in a fleece lined bib.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also try and go WITHOUT a pad (gasp!)

I do this right now. Granted, I'm not doing long rides right now, but I easily ride 90 mins using regular compression shorts made for running, which means there is no pad whatsoever. I also use this on a rock-hard unpadded carbon saddle. It took a little getting used to, but I like it now.

I've found for sure that my prior chafing issues on the bike could not be solved with pricier or thicker bike bibs/shorts. I had to adjust my seat and reach position so I was better centered correctly on the fat part of the saddle rather than the nose, and that helped everything. After I did that, I no longer needed the padded bike shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, “we” are trying to find a bib without a pad.

Shorts are a different deal; options abound.

Are you aware of a padless bib?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Well, “we” are trying to find a bib without a pad.

Shorts are a different deal; options abound.

Are you aware of a padless bib?

Scott

OP's original post said 'minimal pad', not 'zero pad'.

I admit I don't know of any non-padded bibs, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Got it, thanks.

For the record, DeSoto’s fleece “pad” is a great example. More of a “liner” than a pad. Unfortunately, not available in their bib lineup.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Nov 24, 17 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about thermal bibs with no pad and you wear tri shorts underneath?

I'm also on the hunt for the same two items you're looking for. I found some Pearl Izumi thermal bibs with no liner. Haven't pulled the trigger on them yet so will be interested to see if you can find anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
You could also try and go WITHOUT a pad (gasp!)

I do this right now. Granted, I'm not doing long rides right now, but I easily ride 90 mins using regular compression shorts made for running, which means there is no pad whatsoever. I also use this on a rock-hard unpadded carbon saddle. It took a little getting used to, but I like it now.

I've found for sure that my prior chafing issues on the bike could not be solved with pricier or thicker bike bibs/shorts. I had to adjust my seat and reach position so I was better centered correctly on the fat part of the saddle rather than the nose, and that helped everything. After I did that, I no longer needed the padded bike shorts.

For indoors that's fine. In fact that's what I do almost every day now. Right now I'm thinking about buying some PI tri suits that are on sale and having my seamstress cut out a big section from the front and back. DIY bibs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of these last summer when I was in France:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/...lack-id_8354157.html

At least I think it's these. It seems that their pad thickness increases with the "model number" and I think mine are 300s as opposed to 500s. But regardless, they are shorts with remarkably little padding, and insanely cheap. I wouldn't want to ride a century in them, but for a quick hour/90 minute spin they're fine.

But yeah, Europe. Shipping will kill you :-) I kick myself I didn't buy like 4 or 5 pairs when I had the chance.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
I picked up a pair of these last summer when I was in France:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/...lack-id_8354157.html

At least I think it's these. It seems that their pad thickness increases with the "model number" and I think mine are 300s as opposed to 500s. But regardless, they are shorts with remarkably little padding, and insanely cheap. I wouldn't want to ride a century in them, but for a quick hour/90 minute spin they're fine.

But yeah, Europe. Shipping will kill you :-) I kick myself I didn't buy like 4 or 5 pairs when I had the chance.
Yeah, Decathlon is almost all I use for cycling and running. They kick everyone else's ass in quality:price and for running I'd say they kick everyone else's ass, period.

And you got it right, the 300 line has a very thin padding. 500 has a "medium" quality chamois that I do not advise except for upright riding (who does that and wears padded shorts/trousers?) and 520 and 700/900 have their multi-thickness/gel chamois which fdj also use. It's not top quality and won't suit everyone but does the trick. The shirts are very good and are very competitively priced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread to see if there is something new. I really don't like much of a pad, the thin chamois is what I'm looking for but I may be able to tolerate something more.

Mostly because the guys at the track are making fun of me showing BC.

Looking at these:
RIVIERA FLI BIB
https://www.swimoutlet.com/...ifIG9PgaAggKEALw_wcB

Any better options?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Nada.

IMO, thereÂ’s a market opening for such a product.
Castelli used to make Castelli Free Tri bibs. I have a pair and they're great if you want a slim pad.
However, i'm not sure if they still make them. Mine are probably about 5 years old.

I don't like much of a pad on my tri bike so I don't use my normal cycling bibs. I stick with tri shorts/bibs/suits outdoors and either the same, or padless compression shorts indoors, where there are no bad road surfaces!
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you tried the "cararra" desoto shorts with the felt liner? if you like those, reach out to Desoto and I'm sure if you order a pair of bibs, they would be able to swap out the pads for you at a minimal cost.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts with a Minimal Pad? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I normally wear the Mobius tri shorts and it looks like the same pad as the Carrera.

I've tried to have them put a different pad put in a pair of shorts years ago with zero response, I could try again but I'd rather buy something off the shelf if possible.
Quote Reply