Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better use of money?
Quote | Reply
What is a better use of money? A coach or upgrade from a road bike to a tri bike or better wheel set for the road bike for a full distance? They are not exactly the same price, but don't want to spend the price for all of it yet....
Quote Reply
Re: Better use of money? [Sleepyluke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So based on what your asking to me you've not fully invested in the sport, *yet*. I think you can certainly get by with a road bike + clip on bars, but to me an tri bike is an "all in" investment in the sport. I think you can then realize more what you want and likely look for a coach. I've worked at a tri shop and that was my selling point with which bike to buy. To me an tri bike is the investment you are making that says your ready to go all in on triathlon and not just "figuring it out".

(I'm a coach giving you this advice).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a used tri bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Better use of money? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a bike fit, then a used tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Better use of money? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have clarified a little more. Recently had a true bike fit with a GURU system and have clip on bars and forward seat post, so getting close to a true "tri" position on a road bike, but it still has its limitations as to its original design. I have been debating on how much more to put into my current bike vs buying a good used tri bike and being done. I have done several years worth of sprints on the road bike as a road bike, but want to go longer distances more often, and honestly I want one too....

But I definitely see the benefits of a coach, but there are lots of online training plans out there that have gotten lots of people across that finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mention "full distance". Are you planning to race 140.6 soon? If yes, I'd say you're "all in" for triathlon and a (fitted) tri bike is probably the best choice. You can get away with a road bike if you plan on racing shorter distances, but once you step up to long course (half, full), a tri bike has big advantages.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Better use of money? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
You mention "full distance". Are you planning to race 140.6 soon? If yes, I'd say you're "all in" for triathlon and a (fitted) tri bike is probably the best choice. You can get away with a road bike if you plan on racing shorter distances, but once you step up to long course (half, full), a tri bike has big advantages.

140.6 at IM Florida November 3, 2018 - I am full in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleepyluke wrote:
Don_W wrote:

140.6 at IM Florida November 3, 2018 - I am full in

Road bike would be better to draft within the 100 man pelotons...

Ok, seriously though, a solid bike fit, and a tri bike are probably the best place to start for a new athlete who is committed to the sport. It will provide the best time gains on the bike...and biking a shorter amount of time means more energy for the run.

You could go the coaching route, but I feel that most people can use some common sense with swimming as much as possible, biking with intervals, and running frequently...mostly easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're serious about triathlon, and you appear to be . . .

1. The Tri bike will "buy" you more speed than either of the other options. I bought my first Tri bike last Fall after decades of racing a road bike. I'm still amazed at how much faster the Tri bike is for its intended purpose. (It's also great for sniping KOM's on Strava Segments!)

2. Wheelset. There are actually quite a few things I would invest in before the wheelset. You get more bang for the buck from a good helmet, speed suit, hydration system, tires, power meter, etc., etc. THEN, upgrade the wheelset. The gains from a wheelset are not as big as for any of the items I've listed.

3. Coaching. Nothing against coaching but, if you've got your position right on the bike, I tend to see it as providing that last 2% of marginal gain (if that). If you're intelligent and dedicated, there are a great number of quality self-coaching resources out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dropped 25 minutes on my half ironman time doing about the same mileage after getting a coach and I had a pretty good PR to begin with. I think a coach is the best bang for your buck by far. You will improve all 3 of the sports in triathlon, not just the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Better use of money? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

2. Wheelset. There are actually quite a few things I would invest in before the wheelset. You get more bang for the buck from a good helmet, speed suit, hydration system, tires, power meter, etc., etc. THEN, upgrade the wheelset. The gains from a wheelset are not as big as for any of the items I've listed.

Don't forget shaving. I still haven't bought a wheel set but I'm going to shave which can buy me just as,much free time.

3. Coaching. Nothing against coaching but, if you've got your position right on the bike, I tend to see it as providing that last 2% of marginal gain (if that). If you're intelligent and dedicated, there are a great number of quality self-coaching resource

As a beginner without much knowledge of endurance training. I was used to training but I was training for rugby. It's all hard interval with moderate indurance. Mostly training to go anaerobic but then recover fast. Aerobic training was hard for me. Going slow was hard for me. I needed a coach to keep me from going too hard. I would naturally push zone 3 when I should run 2 but thats just my opinion.

I've never even owned a road bike though. I borrowed a tri bike for my first tri then I bought one and I haven't looked back. (Although now I want a,road bike too.) I'm hooked.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply