Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better for a bad back: road or tri bike?
Quote | Reply
Road Bike or Tri Bike? (or others)

I am a former rower who is now cross-training to stay in shape. In past I have done several 5-8 week bike touring trips, and really have a love for hitting the road. However, the combination of rowing and long distance biking has caused me to have two bulged discs in my back (L4, L5) eliminating rowing for a while. I would like to buy a bike to go for some local rides and am wondering if anyone has suggestions about what would be better for a poor back, road or tri? I am probably looking at the entry level range (~$1000 +-$300).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Better for a bad back: road or tri bike? [tigerlight04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road for sure - tri geometry is all about steep angles to get more aero to conserve energy. I can go just as fast on my road bike (really faster), but I have to expend more leg energy in doing so overcoming wind resistance (key at anything over say 20 mph). My tri bike keeps me almost as fast, but with less energy since I have run after.

Plus, road bikes tend to handle much better and cost much less on average.

Quote | Reply
I have the same two bulging discs, not quite herniated, right. Mine just cause some pain and stiffness that I take care of with daily stretching and core exercises. Right now I find my tri bike, Kestrel Talon, more comfortable because I can just lay on the aero bar and grind it out with no pressure on my back. I just got a Trek 5200 road bike and I don't have my position dialed yet but since I have to support my upper body while I ride, I get off the Trek stiffer than the Kestrel. If your back really bothers you, get a Softride. You can get the original SR ( I forget what they are calling it these days) for just a little more than you proposed budget and adjust the seat angle to whatever you want.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your case, buy a road bike. No doubt. A road bike is very comfy in long slow rides compared to a tri bike. Although the Tri bike would make you faster due to a more aggressive position, it would force your back a lot more. Also you should be fit to a tri bike or else you can get pretty nasty injuries on your back and on the other hand, anyone can ride a road bike with a more or less correct position.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Last edited by: Klep: Jun 11, 05 14:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd look into Titan-Flex or Softride if I were you. Being that I'm me, I'd probably just look @ Titan Flex (if I were in your situation).

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Softride, hands down.

See my review on biketestblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Better for a bad back: road or tri bike? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for $1000 -1300?

Where do you get a Softride (or Titanflex) at that price (unless used)??

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Better for a bad back: road or tri bike? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost had to give up cycling because of lower back pain. Tri bike was my savor. I bought the original felt b2 ,78 deg seat tube acouple years ago. It worked for me. I own several soft rides and they can be set up in different ways, but if you are not a smooth rider you will pogo on the softrides. If you don't care about racing then look at easy racer recumbents.
Quote Reply
Re: Better for a bad back: road or tri bike? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call Brady at softride- he may have some old Rocket TT's left around that price range.
Quote Reply