Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better chainrings for sram cranks?
Quote | Reply
Srams rings imo aren't nearly (xsnyc 1x excluded) as nice as Shimano. Is anyone swapping them out for something better/ stiffer.
Quote Reply
Re: Better chainrings for sram cranks? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - Praxis Rings. Solved all my sram front shifting woes. I honestly was surprised at the difference they made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have Praxis chainrings on both my tri and road bikes. SRAM Red on the tri bike and Force on the road bike, and the chainrings are great. It was somewhat of a 'default' choice, as I have Power2Max power meters and they usually include Praxis chainrings.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Better chainrings for sram cranks? [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alot stiffer than sram? Even my red rings shift like crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Pactimo TT rings on my FSA K-light cranks on my Shiv with SRAM Red 10sp. I also have Praxis road rings (and crank) on my Giant TCR Advanced with Ultegra 10sp di2. Both *feel* better than my Chorus or Super Record 11sp cranksets. That said, I think the shifting was better on the Ultegra 6800 and Dura Ace 9000 cranksets that I have owned. Hard to beat DuraAce for front shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Better chainrings for sram cranks? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I too have Praxis chainrings on both my tri and road bikes. SRAM Red on the tri bike and Force on the road bike, and the chainrings are great. It was somewhat of a 'default' choice, as I have Power2Max power meters and they usually include Praxis chainrings.

I had two Quarq SRAM 110 BCD cranks on a road and tri bike with SRAM 50/34 rings and decided to go with 52/36 after going to flatter courses. I chose Praxis as well and have been happy with how they have performed. I will admit that I have not gone over a 1000 watt sprint effort though. Up to 800 watts on a soft sprint and no problem shifting under load or no perceived issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Alot stiffer than sram? Even my red rings shift like crap.

Well, I can’t say I have actually done any tensile strength tests on the praxis rings, but this was July situation: have an older cervelo s2 (2010-ish model, I think) that I love. Still had the original 10sp sram red that was at end of life, so ipgraded to 11sp sram electronic. This bike by nature has always seemed kinda flexy. As you likely know, Sram electronic comes with a set of stiffener blocks to put behind the front derailleur, but due to the down tube shape of the S2 none of the blocks would fit. I tried without and the bike would not shift at all. I then custom made a stiffener block that fit and that helped quite a bit, but about half the time it would either a) throw the chain over the top, or if I microadjusted the derailleur in just a bit it would then b) not shift up. I got to where I could make it work somewhat reliably by shifting the rear down a gear at the same time I would shift the front to the big chainring. But still was not trustworthy enough to groupride in a punchy bunch. I then switched to a shimano chain and the praxis rings, and it is now 100% reliable (and fun to ride!) again. I am not not a big dude that flexes by bike around tremendously, so I don’t really know if “stiffness” was the issue: I actually think the real culprit is sram not being able to implement an auto trim front derailleur due to shimano having a patent lockdown on it (if I understand correctly). But whatever the case the praxis rings/shimano chain combo solved my issues. Which was really worth it to me. I have bikes with both shimano and sram mechanical and electronic, and when it works like it is supposed to I personally prefer the sram shifting concept/setups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using DA 9100 rings, crank, chain, cassette, and rim brakes with Etap. Everything, including front shifting performs much better than a full SRAM set up.
Quote Reply