Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R
Quote | Reply
I'm getting to the point where I need a year or two off from triathlon training. I guess a reset. However, I want to have a sport that doesn't take much thinking, will burn some necessary calories for some good food on the weekends, and not feel beat up every Monday AM. My thoughts were just to jog an hour in am and hour in pm. I feel like if I just run zone 1 or hit the trails I won't feel so beat up if I'm running a lot. It's simple, quick, and burns a lot of calories. Any other sports to consider?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [endurancealex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it have to be a sport? Or do certain activities pique your interest? Does it need to be free?

Many non tri ppl in my area do the orange theory type classes...combines different things in an hour class..run, lift, stability...keeps HR up etc.

Maybe just do some easy running as you suggest, pickup a TRX band and do some body weight stuff to keep the muscles happy...make a circuit of your choosing...

I still think swimming once a week would keep you feeling fresh with some muscle memory and an added active recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rowing sounds like it would be a good activity for you. Look into a Concept 2 rower or check if you have access to a water source where you could kayak, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably heresy to even suggest it but you could just go swimming or go cycling or go for a run, without it being training...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few things that I use to keep it all fresh and mix things up. I do stand-up-paddleboarding (SUP) which is a great workout and fun to be on the water! I also got into doing some SUP races which was a nice change. I Mountain bike and Rollerblade. I also got myself a WaterRower that is such a great all round body workout!

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail running coupled with Captain Canada's training plan work for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Literally any sport that interests you and keeps you moving (except golf, which isn't a sport ;-P

jog, play tennis, mountain biking, hike through the woods, xc ski, skating, rowing / paddling, surf, ultimate frisbee, skateboarding...... the list goes on and on and on.....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd like to continue to exist. just, i'm getting tired of breathing. eating. sleeping. is there some workaround you might suggest for a couple of years?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since you already gave up sex that takes another option off the table.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We can arrange that...trach tube, Peg (feeding) tube, and some sedation of choice! ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrossFit. It will turn you into a super athlete. Almost immediately.
Last edited by: Robert Preston: Jun 6, 18 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:

Plus, you can't drone on about how you are a triathlete, so now you'll be able to drone on about Crossfit.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Rowing sounds like it would be a good activity for you. Look into a Concept 2 rower or check if you have access to a water source where you could kayak, etc.

Rowing: possibly more technical than swimming. And it requires a lot more gear, and expense. There’s a current thread about indoor rowing thats now a few pages long. It’s def. not a jump in and go kinda thing; quite the opposite.

IMO: well worth the time investment. Also, rowing::kayaking / bike riding::skateboarding

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 6, 18 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending if you want indoor or outdoor, could be different options. I enjoy bouldering for indoors, that definitely keeps your muscles active. Same could be climbing combined with hiking in mountains outdoors, if you live in an appropriate area
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that’s the most important thing. You gotta have something to talk about. Because everybody cares, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:

This is a good reset. I challenge all of ST to do the Murphy work out. I think that one is one we all can do well in.

1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 deep squats
1 Mike run

With 20lb vest

I did 49 min, with both miles averaging 6:48. This is your mark , should be easy to beat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is 'in shape'? That's the first question you have to ask...edit to add...I guess it's the first question you have to answer before you get your routine.

Eat less or eat differently.

And, I wouldn't say that you can't SBR even if you need a break. My retirement from triathlon routine is about as follows...

- 2-3x traditional strength training each week. Squats, some deadlift, bench, pull ups, push ups, sometimes it is more of a work-capacity work that involves some type of burpee or multi-joint exercise. I have 3 programs that I bought from Atomic Athlete that are more strength specific as opposed to 'cross fit' or whatever, though they do have a lot of those programs.

- 3ish runs a week from 2-7 miles in length. Amy and I do a short 'track workout' each week that is not over 2 miles total of work, but it's 5k or faster than 5k pace. The other runs are very very light jogs. Like 8 minute pace.

- 2ish swims a week with a low key masters group of 3k each.

- 1-2 rides a week that range from 20 minutes on the trainer to 2.5 hours outside.

I may take a break from the running in August and do 2-3 1-hour weighted vest hikes during August, but I haven't decided. My total is 6 hours more or less depending on the week. If I miss a day, I don't care, but it is consistent enough for me to hop into a 5k or do a charity-type ride without too much additional 'training'. I've been retired from tris for 3.5 years now, and I have no desire to go back to race race again.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -JBMarshTX: Jun 6, 18 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borrow a mtb or gravel bike, and do a 2 hour ride while placing the computer in your jersey pocket with your phone in a ziploc baggie. Don't look unless you're totally lost.

Do the same for a run, but always ensure you've turned off the noisy notifications and stuff. Do a hike/jog instead of boring out-back exercise run.

Explore. Figure out how to get from your house to a local brewery for a ride/run on the weekend. Or a coffee shop. Make the work an adventure instead of "work".

Friday afternoon, my bike ride will be just hitting up the local gravel, downtown to fart on the CX course, grab a beer at the brewery, and the greenway home. That will probably burn some massive calories, but be plenty of fun.

Dig into Strava heat maps to find some running and biking "cut throughs" that are legal and safe, but fun.

You can still let the computer log the workouts online, but just don't open the app or the website. Maybe open it once a month or something and go "hmmm, cool".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you tune in to network TV on Saturday and Sunday mornings, you'll find lots of ideas that will burn excess calories, keep your metabolism amped all-day long, and turn fat into long, lean muscles in about 6-minutes per day. You should try those and let us know.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to stay in shape without S/B/R [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you put it on Facebook? Cause if you didn't put it on Facebook, you didn't really do it . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your jogging plan seems perfect to me, but if you want to get the most time efficient workout in order to burn the calories for your weekend food adventures, maybe the Versaclimber?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Rock climbing....and/or....MMA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail running and ultras were a great way to take a year away from Tri. Lost some speed but but had such a great time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next