Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best watch for Triathlon?
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Garmin 220 for training.
It's a good running watch but defaults to running; post workout I have to change the exercise type to Cycling if I use it on a bike ride, as an example. It's lousy at recording swims. And the main pain point is in a tri, you can't break out the segments as swim/bike/run.
It also doesn't record HR underwater with the ANT+ strap.

It seems that the Garmin 920 is the best solution - differentiates between exercises and you can use an analog HR strap to get HR in the swim.

But has the 920 been surpassed?

What would you recommend?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Feniks 3 last december, and I'm very happy with it. It has more or less the same software as the 920, so I'd say the 920 it is ;-)

Then again, I come from a 10 year old polar HRM, so anything would have been a huge upgrade...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/?s=watch+reviews

No better source.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd second the suggestion to take a look at the DCrainmaker website. Ray's reviews are the most comprehensive I've ever seen. If you can't find answers to your questions there, they may not exist.

I used the 910XT for about 3 years and just recently got a 920XT. I was very happy with the 910XT and would have stuck with it for a while longer except that I got a gift of the 920XT.
I'm very happy with the 920XT too. There are a few big differences but most of the main training/racing functions are the same or similar.The main differences off the top of my head are:
- 920 can be quickly switched to normal watch mode and works as an every day watch.
- 920 does activity tracking
- 920 picks up GPS far quicker (normally just a couple of seconds) due to GPS caching
- 920 is compatible with new HR straps that buffer swim HR data when ANT+ signal is unavailable and uploads to the watch later
- 920 uses WiFi to upload data to Garmin Connect
- 920 can be used as a smartwatch (I haven't bothered to use this so can't comment further)

Some of these features are very nice to have but whether they're worth the price difference is debatable and will vary person to person. The quick GPS acquisition is a bit improvement for me. The rest is less important. If you want live HR while swimming you can use an optical HR monitor like the Miolink or Scosche Rhythm+ placed right beside the watch on your wrist. This can be done with any compatible ANT+ watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A classic Timex Ironman.
No need for anything else.
Good for doing intervals and telling you when to be home for supper.

Don't race with a watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Don't race with a watch.

Really? Based on what?

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I train with a 910XT, but in a race it mostly records data for later review. I never look at it during the swim, it is only displaying power metrics on the bike, and then on the run it is simply telling how bad I suck at this sport.

If I wasn't interested in looking at my performance later, and didn't have a power meter, a Timex would work just fine.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Want a great looking watch? Fenix 3
Don't care about a quick release? Fenix 3
Otherwise 920
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Want a great looking watch? Fenix 3

Don't care about a quick release? Fenix 3
Otherwise 920

They have a quick release now.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/mounts/quick-release-kit-fenix-3-/prod523221.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the classic Timex Ironman but I would wear it during a race. I have other gps watches with more features but always just default to the plan old stopwatch. never worry about charging and is just simple to use.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Don't race with a watch.

Really? Based on what?

Based on... races are timed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Don't race with a watch.

Really? Based on what?

Race splits, pace, power, speed, heart rate, all overrated?

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fenix 3 HR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming from a running background, I never raced with a watch. I think that if you get wrapped up in splits, hr, power, etc, you can limit your performance or cook yourself early. When you're racing, your body will let you know what it's effort level is.

Say you race with power. You have a goal number. First case, you feel like turd, and you push harder than you should to hit the number. You should ignore power and go at the effort level you know you should be at. Second case, you feel awesome, the power number is a breeze to hit, and you've got way too much in the tank. Ignore power and let yourself go higher at the same effort level you know you wanted to ride at.

I really don't think all the data is necessary for anything under an IM. If you train enough, you should know your effort levels for the most distances.

That said, I wear my timex ironman stopwatch to train and race now, but I typically only check splits at the END of each discipline, not during the disciplines. Particularly helpful heading out to run.

I also use it to determine gaps to the people I'm racing, sometimes.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Don't race with a watch.

Really? Based on what?

Yes.

Before all these fancy gadgets became available, people still raced, and raced well. Hard to believe, I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rolex DSSD
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly agree, as I only look at then end of each segment as well. But I will periodically look at it during the run in particular to have a sense of how much time is left. So like in an oly dist if I've been running (by hitting the "lap" button) for say 30 min, I mentally know that I have *approximately* 12 or maybe 13 min left (give or take), and it feels easier to deal with idk. Sometimes the courses aren't marked and there is no race clock on country roads or in suburban subdivisions.

But with duathlons I'll run with my polar hr because I feel the opening run is usually long enough for the hr/feel combination to be accurately managed without lagging, and I can come up with a number that I don't want to cross (that's taking into account adrenaline, heat, stress, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fenix3 and 920XT are the top of the line options. The software is very similar though the fenix3 has a few more features. The fenix3 looks better but the 920XT is slimmer, lighter, and a little cheaper.

GPS may be more reliable on the 920XT -- at least, there have been more complaints about the fenix3 GPS -- but that may be due to how they are used (fenix3 being used for more trail running). And recent firmware updates have improved GPS tracking for many.

I would try them both out on your wrist to see which feels the best. And read the DCRainmaker reviews in depth.
Last edited by: mike_w: Mar 16, 16 10:44
Quote Reply
Re: Best watch for Triathlon? [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
Rolex DSSD

For the win.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Don't race with a watch.

Really? Based on what?

Yes.

Before all these fancy gadgets became available, people still raced, and raced well. Hard to believe, I know.

It is hard to believe, I guess every pro and all the top age groupers are wrong. While learning the "feel" of racing is important theres not a pro or fast age grouper that I'm aware of who doesn't use hard data to measure performance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Tomtom multisport. Does Swim, bike and run, plus treadmill, freestyle, stopwatch.
I bought one for my daughter as well so she can track her running.

~ $100 on Amazon for out of box new.

Easy to use, joystick control. Easy to read and great battery life. Upload to webserver for historical record and review/diagnostics

I don't use heart rate because I like to keep things simple as possible.

Reliable but just don't exceed the 2M underwater mark. I did the other day and the watch is OK but had to wait a few hours for the JS control to dry out.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Mar 16, 16 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My garmin watch has a semi permanent residue of sunscreen on it, and a perpetual faint smell of chlorine and sweat. Would not want to wear it as a daily watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

It is hard to believe, I guess every pro and all the top age groupers are wrong. While learning the "feel" of racing is important theres not a pro or fast age grouper that I'm aware of who doesn't use hard data to measure performance.

Wow. You're not aware of them, so they must not exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I'm not aware of Unicorns either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean like Pete Jacobs. Personally, I like to have a simple watch for reminding me when to eat in an Ironman or longer race. I prefer to race without one for shorter races though. Being able to listen to your body is an important skill, a lot of people can't seem to learn it though.

chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
chuy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I'm not aware of Unicorns either.
Quote Reply

Prev Next