Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best type of shoe for Mortons neuroma?
Quote | Reply
I've had a neuroma/neuritis for a number of years now and haven't run consistently for a while, at least partly because of concern over foot pain.
It seems that low/no drop is best for neuroma and noticeable "turned up toes" aren't good either. Wide toe box too.
So I'm thinking Hokas might fit the bill if wide enough, if I'm understanding the effect of "early meta-rocker" and that NB FFM are out because they have a relatively sharp toe upturn?
Just two examples of shoes I've been looking at, happy to look at others. Also going to try "Correct-toes" and put met pads in street shoes.
I'd appreciate any comments from podiatrists on my understanding of the rocker profile, examples of good or bad shoes from that point of view and comments from sufferers who have found a solution.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best type of shoe for Mortons neuroma? [Shutt58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this for a few months after coming back from a stress fx. I bought the carbon superfeet orthotics and put them in a pair of hoka speedgoats. From what I remember, the firmer bottom of a trail shoe was one of the keys to alleviating the pain. I did the majority of runs in this shoe but continued to rotate my regular run shoes. It went away after a few weeks to a month of doing that. It’s like my foot needed a chance to stretch out and have different pressure points in my shoes. Good luck.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the issue on and off for a couple years. When it flaired this last time I made sure I wore the widest shoes I had and light socks. Also found out that putting a small pad (quarter size) behind my middle toes when I ran helped A TON! Ran with the pad for about 6-8 weeks-issue went away and have not ran with it since. Found the pad idea on here and it was AMAZING- made it myself from some old shoe insoles of various sizes until I found the one that worked.
Also got some soft foam toe spreaders (used one between 3 and 4 toes) and was able to run with those as well which helped

Good luck

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that many moons ago. I grew up playing soccer, so I was accustomed to a glove like fit for shoes. Tight felt right. But then I got old...

I already had custom orthotics, so Podiatrist added a metatarsal pad to my orthotics, and I switched to a wider shoe (4e). I also changed my lacing pattern to enable a loose toe box. Basically, I added a knot after the 2nd eyelet, the laced up the instep.

Since then I've switched to lock laces, which I keep just tight enough to keep my shoes on and I wear loose fitting socks. I don't like any of the arch support socks that include that compression band around the metatarsals. So, I use cheap Haynes cotton socks.
Quote Reply