Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best trainer app for visually impaired?
Quote | Reply
I cycle with a club here in San Diego called the Blind Stokers Club where we partner sighted tandem captains with blind / VI athletes of all abilities. It’s great fun for all and a way to help the Stokers get the wind in their face and a fun social activity.

Some of the stokers want to up their game on the bike and I’ve wanted to ask the forum if anybody has experience with VI usage of Zwift/Sufferfest/TrainerRoad, etc....

I’ve used Sufferfest for a few years - and it has audio cues ( engine rev when pace/effort lifts, bell when it slows), Zwift does seem to have any real soundtrack from my limited use and I haven’t tried others.

Does anyone have experience using these apps with just an audio interface? Are there modes that provide more audio? Maybe the group workouts in Zwift have an audio component that would be a help?

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Best trainer app for visually impaired? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a very interesting question. I don't use Zwift or Sufferfest so can't comment on this.

Opening up the settings tab on TrainerRoad there are two settings for "Instructional Text Sound" and "Interval Sounds." I'm not exactly sure what they do as I'm generally just ready to text descriptions and running listening to Netflix. I'm going to do an easy trainer ride later today and if no one has answered yet I'll give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Best trainer app for visually impaired? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like just what I may be looking for. I’m hoping to make a good recommendation to the club...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless I was doing something wrong I don’t think this is going to get you what you want. As far as I could tell the only thing it did was a countdown beeping noise before each interval. It did not give an audio description of the upcoming interval or read the workout text out loud. So, you’d know when an interval change was coming but as far as I could tell no way to know if it was going to increase or decrease the watts or for how long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your stokers are looking to "up their game" on the bike, you know you are running a pretty good program.

zwift is awesomely engaging, but it is a very visual interface.

Trainerroad's "Marching blue blocks of doom" is a pretty uncluttered interface, which may give some cues to the VI, even if not to the completely blind. Using ERG mode on a smart trainer will automatically adjust the resistance for each interval, so all the user has to do is stay on top of the cadence (which you can largely do on feel). It does chime you in 3 times at the start/end of each interval, but it doesn't audibly give a target. I think they have a free 2 week trial, so you might be able to get one of your stokers to try it and give some feedback from their perspective. TR have their own forum on which their own staff are active participants, so you could ask some questions there about recommended settings to enhance readability. https://forum.trainerroad.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift with a smart trainer would get you there. I never look at the interface when I’m on Zwift, the trainer tells me there is a hill because it gets harder.

I was a guide for a VI athlete for a while and set her up on my old steel frame and dumb trainer. Now she pedals away in her garage like there is no tomorrow. She listens to ball games while she pedals. No other technology used.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply