Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm looking for the easiest/ most accurate way of riding the routes for my upcoming races indoors. I've just signed up for bkool as they seem to have a good library of routes, but I'm not convinced that the elevations are accurate. Are there any other software options that have existing triathlon routes already in their library? If not, how best to ride the routes?
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [Boomwhacker1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fullgaz (fullgas?) is kinda new, and they have the full kona course.

i havnt personally used it yet but am planning on it at some point in the future just. im used to zwift so its been kinda hard to break myself away from that.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [Boomwhacker1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for the easiest/ most accurate way of riding the routes for my upcoming races indoors. I've just signed up for bkool as they seem to have a good library of routes, but I'm not convinced that the elevations are accurate. Are there any other software options that have existing triathlon routes already in their library? If not, how best to ride the routes?

Rouvy has various routes with varying levels of quality. The Kona route is very good. Others not so much.

The good news is that the Rouvy app and account is free if you use the Apple TV beta version. There are also a lot of other fun routes including great video of some classic European climbs.
Last edited by: SJK: Feb 9, 20 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If, by accurate, you mean most accurate representation of the power profile then the best way (IMO) to do this is to model the course in BestBikeSplit and then load that into Zwift or TrainerRoad as a workout. I've done this for previous races and it let's me dial in things like the avg/max power and IF that I want to ride a particular course at. The visual will just whatever route you select in Zwift, but the power profile will be identical to how you'll ride it on race day if you use BBS to pace your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, This sounds like a great idea. How do I load the BBS into a trainer road workout? Do I have to do it manually using the TR workout creator?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:
Thanks, This sounds like a great idea. How do I load the BBS into a trainer road workout? Do I have to do it manually using the TR workout creator?

AFAIK, Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
If, by accurate, you mean most accurate representation of the power profile then the best way (IMO) to do this is to model the course in BestBikeSplit and then load that into Zwift or TrainerRoad as a workout. I've done this for previous races and it let's me dial in things like the avg/max power and IF that I want to ride a particular course at. The visual will just whatever route you select in Zwift, but the power profile will be identical to how you'll ride it on race day if you use BBS to pace your race.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:

I've only ever imported a BBS file into Zwift, so I'm not 100% sure but I did find this. I hope it helps.

https://support.trainerroad.com/...t-from-BestBikeSplit
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of piggybacking on this thread but do you have access to search routes for Rouvy? I'm so far not able to find a way to view available virtual routes without logging into their site which I don't want to sign up for right now (have Trainerroad but looking to find a simulated route of a climb for an upcoming vacation that I have planned).
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their search function is crap but if you are looking for a particular route / climb I'm happy to check for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:
Their search function is crap but if you are looking for a particular route / climb I'm happy to check for it.

Looking for the long (at least for me anyways) climb up Mount Tantalus in O'ahu (the one that is just under 5 miles long). This Strava segment that I found looks like it: http://www.strava.com/segments/571986

I suck at pacing hills and since I live in the midwest there isn't super long ones either (at least where I typically ride) and it's too cold for me to get outside anyways. I'd like to get a few trainer sessions on this simulated grade if possible to get ready for a long grind. Would like to try riding up there then back down since I'll be vacationing in the Waikiki area in the spring (first trip to Hawaii and really looking forward to it).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Feb 13, 20 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:

I second this! I did this for IMMT 70.3 on Trainerroad and it was very helpful to get a "feel" for the power I had to put out
Quote Reply
Re: Best software for riding popular triathlon routes indoors [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I can't access the actual ride at the moment but Rouvy has a ride called Tantalus Loop - a 12-mile ride with 1721 feet of elevation gain. Max 13% grade. Starts just outside of Honolulu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool and thanks for checking. 13% max grade.....that's gonna hurt me as the I poked around the strava segment and saw the avg at 6% but did see some 8% in there. Better find a bike with easiest gearing for climbing me thinks (planning on renting a bike while there for a day here or there). I'll time the free trial run to closer to my trip to practice but I know I'm not setting any Strava KOM records (and won't even bother because it'll probably destroy my knees if I do push that hard).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what platform you use but Rouvy is currently 100% free if you run it through the Apple TV app that is still in beta. I tend to use ride Strava more often but it's fun to do some of the classic climbs via Rouvy. And the price can't be beat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip but I don't use Apple stuff or products for the most part (android user for mobile). I've been using Trainneroad for a while but eventually I'll stop when I done chasing watts and just want to have more fun riding informally indoors (starting to get there honestly at this point but it's hard to give up Trainneroad since I'm on the legacy pricing annual plan of $99/yr).
Quote Reply