Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best shifting mechanical group of all time?
Quote | Reply
I know I know Di2 blah blah blah....

But mechanical... 9100???
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just about any Shimano mechanical group could be on the podium. I'd say 9100 probably represents the pinnacle, but I have 7900 on a bike with 80k miles and it still shifts perfect. I think Shimano puts engineering and technology in their mechanical drivetrains that eludes the other makers. I am probably biased, but I sure like them. I've never had a desire to put something else on.
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
but I have 7900 on a bike with 80k miles and it still shifts perfect.

Eww. 7900 was a dark age for Shimano. 7800 great. 9000 awesome, electronic-like. 7900 was still trying to figure out the hidden shifting cable routing or something. Always had trouble with it. Friction, long throws. My gravel bike Rival is better than 7900 was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The actual shifting process became an almost entirely solved problem when hyperglide was introduced thirty years ago. Even Tourney-level parts can shift pretty much perfectly when they're in good repair and properly-adjusted.
The biggest hitches to this have been things like when Shimano switched from "non aero" shift routing to under-the-tape, and took a generational cycle to work out the issues with the new design.

Assuming everything is compatible and well-adjusted, the question mostly becomes an issue of preferred shifter ergonomics.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jan 23, 20 18:19
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are the campy guys?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Where are the campy guys?

Reminiscing about the '80s.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
The actual shifting process became an almost entirely solved problem when hyperglide was introduced thirty years ago. Even Tourney-level parts can shift pretty much perfectly when they're in good repair and properly-adjusted.
This.

I actually went first went to Hyperglide with 8-speed and friction downtube shift levers (Simplex) and the shifting was crazy good.

Also, shift quality depends on set-up - derailleur hanger being aligned, housing in good shape, etc.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be my memories improving things, but I remember thinking DA 7800 was the best thing I'd ever felt. There are faster shifts, but damn, that was smooth. I remember comparing it to Sram at the time (Force?) and thinking that Sram was faster, but it just hammered the gears into place. 7800 just gently glided into place.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The DA 9000 on my Focus is the best shifting group I've tried. I have the new 105 on my trainer bike and I have to say it is close
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're going to struggle to beat Campy SR 11 or 12. IMHO, best mechanical of all time

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I know I know Di2 blah blah blah....

But mechanical... 9100???

My DA 9spd (7700??) still shifts perfectly every time. Love it. It started life on my Serotta, then to my trek carbon, and I'll be moving it back to the Serotta over the winter since the trek is getting relegated to full time trainer duty.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano's shifting has been great for a long time.

Was it 9000 when they went to the longer "arm" on the front derailler? I think that really improved front shifting.

I like that they have different configurations, depending on where your front derailler cable comes from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM Red 10spd

Don't @ me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano whatever with Zipp Vuka R2C levers... when they worked. Those were amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the new shimano xtr & xt is f@#$ing amazing but probably not what you're after
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
SRAM Red 10spd

Don't @ me

Yeah, if you have that, plan on rebuilding the R2C shifters at least half dozen times over a decade, or having a rear deraileur pulley wheel crack 4-5 x over that same period, or having the rear cage itself randomly explode on you in an aerobic training session. Likely one of the worst mech groups of all time. Same reason I'll be jumping to Shimano and staying there on the next bike. Sram Red 10 sp has been nothing but problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

Yeah, if you have that, plan on rebuilding the R2C shifters at least half dozen times over a decade

That hasn't been my experience. I bought a used set in the ST classifieds near a decade ago, rode it a shit-ton since then, and have done zero maintenance with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim_Canterbury wrote:

agreed, i'd rate xtr 9100 as far better shifting than DA 9000
can only imagine that the new DA expected next year will be incredible
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
Tim_Canterbury wrote:

agreed, i'd rate xtr 9100 as far better shifting than DA 9000
can only imagine that the new DA expected next year will be incredible

Now you have me interested. How is it actually labeled XTR 9100?
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
You're going to struggle to beat Campy SR 11 or 12. IMHO, best mechanical of all time

IMO: any Campy mech > everyone else mech

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jan 24, 20 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim_Canterbury wrote:

Other than the Chip comment I was going to stay away and just read from this thread because I haven't used everything but:

When I started using the M8000 group (Shimano XT) it was better even when dirty than any other Shimano mechanical group I've used. (including 530, 770, 590, 4500 to 4600, 5500 to 5800, 6600 to 6800 and 7700 to 7900)

Since then I've built two R7000 bikes and one R8000 bike, all of which shift terrific.

I haven't used Campy since the late 80's C Record and have never had a SRAM drivetrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are one of the lucky ones. I'm jealous. I don't ride near as much as some on here, and I am on my third front R2C shifter. SRAM was warrantying them for a while, but not since they went out of production. I have a replacement lined up for WHEN my current one fails.
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any post 90s Shimano on, 9000/9100 dura-ace being the very top.

Brand new pretty much every shimano shifts perfectly. Even Tiagra
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
audiojan wrote:

IMO: any Campy mech > everyone else mech

Want to buy an 11spd Campy Super Record group? About to part out a Look build lol
Quote Reply
Re: Best shifting mechanical group of all time? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Want to buy an 11spd Campy Super Record group? About to part out a Look build lol
As much as I'd love to, I'm no longer running any mech groups.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jan 24, 20 12:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next