Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best ride for a short woman?
Quote | Reply
My wife has been hinting that she would like a new bike. She is 5'0" on a good day, longer legs, shorter torso. She has been riding a 48 cm Principia TSL for the last 3 years. Overall she has loved the bike, but we have the seat post slammed down pretty much as far as it can go, and it still seems just a tad too high. Any recommendations for a quality bike for a short rider? What about the custom route, who would you recommend?

Thanks

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Merlin has a women's specific bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
called the Camena. Tom Kellog designed the geometry specifically for women, it is a 2004 model hitting floors now.

Quote Reply
Re: Best ride for a short woman? [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you checked Dan's article on this site that steps through the various body types and suggests different vendors based on that? It was a good article and it might answer your question.

I would be surprised if a 48 would fit your wife given her height and the fact that she has long legs and a short torso. If you do go custom, a lot of posters here have good things to say about Yaqui.
Quote Reply
Re: Best ride for a short woman? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend is about the same size and has had 2 uncomfortable bikes. Just the other day, she went to a bike fitter. We ended up ordering her a Serotta Colorado that is going to be made with tri geometry. Its not so much the seat height that has been a problem. She has been riding a 49cm QR Kilo and the seat is fine. Its the top tube length that is the problem. She is always stretched out too far. She went through a couple different positions on one of those size cycles and said the new position was far more comfortable than her current one on the QR. I would recommend going to a good fitter that can help with cockpit length and positioning as well as seat height and positioning of the seat in relation to the bottom bracket. I won't know for sure how the new bike is for her for another 4 or 5 weeks though.[reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'1", proportional legs and torso. I ride a 48 cm Cervelo Soloist. I am currently riding it with the seatpost in the back position. As far as custom goes, I have seen some petite women riding custom Calfee frames.

http://www.calfeedesign.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say she should look at a smaller frame built around 650 wheels. My wife has the same needs and currently has a Cannondale 650 bike. She can't believe the difference in the balance and handling with the smaller wheels on such a small frame. Based on her experience I'd almost say that any bike below 50cm would turn out better built around 650 wheels. Of course that means she can't share wheels with me any more, but I don't think she minds. She REALLY loves this bike. Have your wife ride a 44cm Cannondale R800 or R2000. These are 650 bikes. She (or you) may not like Cannondale and that is fine, but I'd bet she'll love the feel of those bikes. They'll be able to be set up more like a smaller version of your bike. There are several other builders out there that make similar bikes. I just offered the Cannondales since they should be the easiest to find.
Quote Reply
Re: Best ride for a short woman? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great info. I did check out Dan's article, but didn't feel any of the profiles really matched my wife. I have read some favorable articles/reviews about Yaqui. I'll definitely check those out. We are moving to San Diego soon, so we'll have plenty of opportunity to do some quality shopping. Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply