Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best prescription sunglasses for biking
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get a good friend a birthday present. He does tris, bikes, and wears glasses and/or prescription sunglasses. He's had the kind where a lens fits inside of the "sunglass" part for probably ten years. However, I'm beginning to think they are suspect as he's hit one or two potholes without noticing them. He commented that the ones with the prescription in the actual lens warped his vision. I'm wondering if technology has improved? Any suggestions for a company, brand, type, etc that I could research and buy a gift certificate for so he can get new glasses...and not hit potholes anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Best prescription sunglasses for biking [CheeseheadinDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check sportrx
I am on my second pair from them, I chose the cheap in house noname frames
But they have a wide selection of the big brands as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best prescription sunglasses for biking [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses for around 10 years. Proper wrap around lenses, fantastic optical clarity. And they are very expensive so it depends on your budget. Rudy also make proper Rx lenses and also very expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Best prescription sunglasses for biking [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
I've had a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses for around 10 years. Proper wrap around lenses, fantastic optical clarity. And they are very expensive so it depends on your budget. Rudy also make proper Rx lenses and also very expensive.
Love my oakleys. Excellent optics. But the frame does interfere with view when your head is down (Valve frames).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really prescription eyewear, but if you only need readers to see your watch or computer, Dual eyewear has been great for me

Dualeyeware.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oakley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have like 5 pairs of prescription oakley sunglasses, they are exactly as if they were not prescription. You can even get transition lenses in some (all?) models so that they work in various conditions.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sports Optical out of Boulder. Will make prescription lenses for sunglasses. It is the whole lens, not those clip ins. They have several top frames to choose from. You can get progressive tint so you can also use them at night. The frame that you can use depends on your Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GlassesUsa.com are probably the best deal (generally under $100 all said and done), Rudy Project Rx offer more sport-specific variety and lens features/tints ($150-200 per pair), Oakley are awesome but considerably more expensive (generally upwards of $300 per pair).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Oakley

Had my pair for 10yrs. The frames are banged to hell, but not a scratch on the lenses (tip: don't get the mirrored "iridium" lenses, the coating will chip/flake with wear).

Oakleys are $$$$, but worth it. The lenses also won't shatter in a crash or pop out of the frames, which is a big plus.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply