Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best places to train around the world. [ThibautFe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been for 3 consecutive years, under Christmas-New Year in Las Playitas in Fuerteventura.
I can't imagine a better place for triathlete but this year I will go trying the triathlon centre in Lanzarote, they say very competitive with Fuerte

In Italy, the only place is Poggio All'Agnello, in Toscana
http://www.poggioallagnello.it/...g-camp-tuscany-italy
I have never been there but I heard good reviews from italian friends.
Riding in Italy though, in my opinion, is not as safe as in Fuerte or Lanza, where traffic is really minimal and roads quality is excellent!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, i currently live in sierra leone and i can honestly say it's a pretty terrible place to train. torrential rains, brutal heat, not much food . . . i manage to run, and do some dryland, and that's it. i surf and swim a bit when i go to the coast, but that's not often enough.

previously i lived in kenya, in the high rift valley. as running goes, it might be the best place on earth - altitude, good roads, trails and tracks, better food options, and the company of literally the best runners on the planet. on the other hand, almost no swimming, and cycling is basically suicidal.

my permanent home base is zurich, switzerland, and for me it's the best i've ever had. a 25m indoor pool about a 4-minute walk from my house, a 400m mondo track about a 5-minute run from my house, and the best road cycling of my life at my door. i've got hills, flats, rollers, trails . . . you name it. courteous drivers, good competition, and all the races and resources you could need. downside is cost, no doubt.

on that front the 'best' might be the place where you've got a free couch to crash on or something. it also has to be said that 'best' is relative: i lived for 2 years in edmonton. no OWS options, limited road riding in the city, and a long and incredibly cold winter. but i was in the best shape of my life there, because i hung out with really fast people, commuted by bike, skied nordic all winter, and had a lot of time to train.

so . . . it depends.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Adelaide Australia a hidden cycling gem.

Hell yes. Not the cheapest place to live, but perfect weather every day and hills, hills, hills.
I remember starting my runs at 4am to avoid the heat though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about Vitoria-Gasteiz?

There's a big tri there every year and I seem to recall it being the Europe training base of a few ITU squads over the years.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's my main problem with tuscany - very narrow roads and completely insane (and dangerous) drivers. i was just there 3 weeks ago and got in a couple of runs and rides. it was beautiful, of course, but i was reminded how dodgy it can be. i'm generally a confident cyclist but at a few moments i felt pretty anxious.

on the other hand, tuscany beats almost everywhere else on earth for the food!

Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  1. The French Alps
  2. Gran Canaria
  3. Tenerife

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Italian drivers are by and large arseholes.....even when you are in a car
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's something, isn't it? as stereotypes go, it holds pretty true. in the space of a few days my wife and i nearly died at least twice and found ourselves shaking our fists and screaming WTF! about two dozen more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
that's my main problem with tuscany - very narrow roads and completely insane (and dangerous) drivers. i was just there 3 weeks ago and got in a couple of runs and rides. it was beautiful, of course, but i was reminded how dodgy it can be. i'm generally a confident cyclist but at a few moments i felt pretty anxious.

on the other hand, tuscany beats almost everywhere else on earth for the food!

apparently we live in the same city :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I lived in boulder for a year - thats pretty popular

I just moved to Provence - 30 mins in from Cannes at 270m.

Out my door in 4.5 miles i get to 600m. No traffic.

In 64km i could get 2k m of elevation

I have a 50m out door pool 5 mins from the house.

I can trail run

The only downside is mosquitos, but given the number of professional cyclists that live in relative close proximity i think i have picked the best place

N.b. our move was not driven by aspirations of professional like training but by quality of life during our mid-life-crisis gap year

I did a summer program in Nice when in law school. I exchanged an apartment with a girl from Villenueve Loubet (so a little outside the city) doing a summer program at UCLA. Spent all summer cycling everywhere that I could on her crappy mountain bike, and running on whatever trails I could find (never bothered to try and find a pool). This makes me long to go back and live there again, except this time I would take my bike and appreciate it even more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think another part of this thread should be what's the best affordable place to train. A lot of these places, including Boulder, seems like you have to go "full dentist" to afford a three month stay.

I'd like to see some actual prices of what you can rent for 1-3 months, fees for a pool and such.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
I think another part of this thread should be what's the best affordable place to train. A lot of these places, including Boulder, seems like you have to go "full dentist" to afford a three month stay.

I'd like to see some actual prices of what you can rent for 1-3 months, fees for a pool and such.

The OP did say "Cheap cost of living and rent." and he did mention a Europe location.

I have heard the Algarve region of Portugal might fit this perfectly. Relatively cheap by Euro standards, 300 days of sunshine, great riding and running, good OWS. Don't know much about pool time there.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
In the U.S. I'd say Boulder or Colorado Springs in the summer and Clermont Florida in the Winter.

Too much traffic, smog for riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Boulder on and off at the beginning of summer and never experienced smog. I'll give you the nod on traffic though. It's amazing how much Boulder has changed in just the three years I've been going there.

Summit County CO would be my next choice for summer training but there's really nowhere good to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
damn lucky wrote:

The OP did say "Cheap cost of living and rent." and he did mention a Europe location.

I have heard the Algarve region of Portugal might fit this perfectly. Relatively cheap by Euro standards, 300 days of sunshine, great riding and running, good OWS. Don't know much about pool time there.

for a combination of cost and climate within europe, yes - spain or portugal would be tops for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone as feedback with living/training in Portugal? I am looking at the the Faro/Algarve region to go live there for a couple months, but I need to keep costs down!

Any feedback, tips, welcome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been on holiday in Algarve - seemed a great place to train
Great roads, and if you live 'locally' and stay away from touristy hotels etc it would be very cheap indeed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Franklin, TN. obviously more resources in Colorado and the ability to gain benefits from altitude but as a place where you can balance more than just training.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MedellĂ­n, COLOMBIA

???!!!

It's 2017, so all the infamy now broadcast by TV series and movies was decades ago.

Perfect weather 360 days a year. Moderate, 4,900 feet elevation. Some of the best road bike cycling in the world among the green mountains that ring the city. (International professional teams train there). Plus you can take public transportation (modern, secure elevated train and then gondolas--seriously) up above the city to a flat, mountaintop mesa nature reserve for trail running. First class gyms with indoor pools all over the place. Bike shops and mechanics galore.

Beautiful city with modern everything and lots of international tourists and bilingual Colombian English speakers.

No kidding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MedellĂ­n/Le Ceja, Colombia should be given some consideration.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
Franklin, TN. obviously more resources in Colorado and the ability to gain benefits from altitude but as a place where you can balance more than just training.

I can't imagine why anyone would ever voluntarily choose to train in Middle TN, having lived here all my life. The summer weather is diabolical (dewpoints have been 73-74 for most of the last month), Nashville traffic is quickly becoming some of the worst in the southeast and there's seemingly NO forward thinking infrastructure being developed, and drivers are getting more and more jaded with anything that isn't them.

I personally wouldn't pick TN at all, but if forced to, the outer parts of Chattanooga would be the only place I'd ever have any desire to live for training and life.
Quote Reply

Prev Next