Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best place to train in the winter? Tucson.
Quote | Reply
Tucson.

I might be biased (I live here), but I just can't be convinced that there is any place better to be outdoors than southern Arizona from October - May. You pay for that with a ... warm ... summer, but the trade-offs are what make Tucson the "next" great trendy place to live... Maybe. Interestingly, in the Tucson sub-Reddit, there was a discussion about cyclists and cars interacting on Mt. Lemmon that was started by a driver. There is actually (mostly) civil discourse happening. I was SAG'ing on Lemmon on that particular day actually and there were indeed a TON of cyclists and vehicles (holiday weekend). Pretty awesome that can happen.

Anyway, the real reason for my post was to do my best to convince people that Tucson is where you want to bring all your monies over the winter and also show off a video I made of this past training week. My significant other and three of her friends did a traincation and got in a hair over 30 hours. I got to drive around a lot and drone.

Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 21, 18 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks cool. I lived in San Diego for a short time before heading back east. What is it like in summer other than hot? I lived in Florida for 13 years and I just got used to training in early am in summer. How does it compare to there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always looked like a great place. Wife’s parents live in Sedona and have trained there a few times but never Tucson. Might see about a week or so in Sedona if you’re interested...

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't see anywhere touching Tucson. Maybe a warm weather stretch in Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez. Tucson has everything. Trails, mountain passes, great pools, good food, and is inexpensive. The only complaint I can possibly think of is the road quality is pretty terrible, but thats true in a lot of California too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a huge fan of Tucson having lived there for 5 five years - it will always be a special place for me. Now I live in Clermont and it is also a great place to live. For me, I really prefer the warmer mornings and warmer evenings especially in Winter. Tucson can be very cold (relatively) in the morning. Tucson is great for riding with lots of diversity and lots of pools. However, for me you simple can't beat Waterfront park in Clermont and is ultimately why I choose Clermont. It is such an asset. To have such a clean body of water you can swim in year round is awesome. Ironically, it is probably the least utilized asset by the camps that come here. Flights out of MCO are abundant as well however I would have no problem living in Tucson in the future.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to spend most of my winters in Tucson training. I liked it a lot. The weather during the day was ideal, and the evenings were cool. It almost never rains or super windy. Mt. Lemmon is awesome and a ride I miss greatly. The one thing I loved about the area was that you could ride off in many directions and almost never see a car. The amount of cyclists there training was astounding. The shootout was fun, but it was so cold on some of those mornings in January I thought I would freeze.

But then I spent a winter just south of Santa Barbara in Oxnard/Ventura area. I found it much more entertaining. Riding along the coast looking at the ocean was the most boring part of my ride. Climbs like Latigo, Las Flores, Deer Creek, Yerba and Gibraltar were amazing and the descents down Tuna, Deckar, Painted caves and the Rock Store were the thing of dreams. Making almost any turn and coming across a beautiful green valley was amazing. Water fountains were plentiful on the climbs and the drivers were very courteous. Tonnes of pro cyclists live and train in the area, so you often run into incredible riders.

Tucson is now a solid #2 for me. I would go back there in a heart beat, but only if I could not do California again.
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty big cost of living difference between arizona and california though. what's the snake situation for trail running in tucson? Or just in general. not a big fan of running across too many snakes. I like the idea of a cycling friendly, warm, low humidity, plenty of mountains, with a low cost of living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to tucson back in january, first time i flew with my bike as well, and it was so great. rode lemmon and saguaro east, stayed at an airbnb on east side of town so was close to those areas. wife went running in saguaro east as well. it wasn't a training-centered trip for me but did get a ride in every day and did long hikes (sabino canyon, wasson peak). as soon as I left, I said to myself damn i want to go back there for a week when im in decent shape and just train. it is an absolute playground for tri training (i didn't swim, but based on what everyone says, good pools are plentiful). we didn't explore "The Loop" either, which seems like a huge asset for easier rides and for running. i haven't been many other places, but i'd find it hard to imagine many places that are better than tucson. i'm dying to go back.

follow ben hoffman on strava and instagram. and heather jackson. aside from being wow'ed by the incredible workouts he's been posting (especially lately, I think he's in lead up to IMSA?), you can learn a lot about training in tucson and what it has to offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I duno, this kind of kicks Tucson's ass.

Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where is that? looks a bit pricey
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

Málaga, Spain. I hear it's quite reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in europe it's hard to beat canary islands (lanza, fuerte & gc). lots of cheap flights from continent and accomodation choice there. jan-mar temperature in the low 20° C's
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d guess 80% of the Euro pros i follow on Insta are training at FeurteVentura or Lanzarote right now Having been there back in January, I have no doubts why

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
mickison wrote:

looks great. I think I'm too damn Americanized to live anywhere but the US and am certainly not a good enough athlete to relocate for winter training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
mickison wrote:

Do they have delicious breakfast burritos for $6?
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
pretty big cost of living difference between arizona and california though. what's the snake situation for trail running in tucson? Or just in general. not a big fan of running across too many snakes. I like the idea of a cycling friendly, warm, low humidity, plenty of mountains, with a low cost of living.

in the summer you will almost certainly see them if you run trails in the morning (or ride); snake season is something like april or may through september/october I think. just have to be aware. i am extremely afraid of snakes and they really gross me out, but in the encounters I've had I've never been overly worried for my safety.

and to answer your (way) earlier question about how hot it gets in the summer: hot. It's different than humid hot. I grew up in New Orleans and lived my life in the southeast (VA, NC, LA) so I'm used to humid, hot weather (nothing is like New Orleans in the summer. Nothing.) and the dry heat was a bit of a welcome change but you really can't work out when it's over 100+ unless it's very short. It's genuinely not that safe.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Mar 7, 18 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
in europe it's hard to beat canary islands (lanza, fuerte & gc). lots of cheap flights from continent and accomodation choice there. jan-mar temperature in the low 20° C's

Yeah, my post was really a troll against the US-centric nature of this forum. There are much nicer places to train during the northern hemisphere winter than fucking Tucson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:

Yeah, my post was really a troll against the US-centric nature of this forum. There are much nicer places to train during the northern hemisphere winter than fucking Tucson.

it's okay not to bash one city while recommending a different. would you expect people to recommend a city they've never been too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
mickison wrote:

in the summer you will almost certainly see them if you run trails in the morning (or ride); snake season is something like april or may through september/october I think. just have to be aware. i am extremely afraid of snakes and they really gross me out, but in the encounters I've had I've never been overly worried for my safety.

and to answer your (way) earlier question about how hot it gets in the summer: hot. It's different than humid hot. I grew up in New Orleans and lived my life in the southeast (VA, NC, LA) so I'm used to humid, hot weather (nothing is like New Orleans in the summer. Nothing.) and the dry heat was a bit of a welcome change but you really can't work out when it's over 100+ unless it's very short. It's genuinely not that safe.

yeah. I worry less about snakes for me but more for my dogs. dogs tend to be curious about snakes and don't realize they should keep away.

I've done mid-day workouts in humidity close to 100 but it was the sort of thing I knew was a short workout and I would just keep a gallon of cold water near to cool off. I lived in FL for many years and summer workouts were always early AM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuscon is nice, about like La Quinta(Palm Springs area). Super vibrant cycling community in the winter in the Coachella valley, but like Tuscon, you have to get out of town for at least 4 months, so not a great place to live and stay. Agree the winters are great though.

Santa Barbara is also pretty good, but dead of winter it can be cold and foggy a lot. And forget about the ocean, lucky to ever get out of the 50's. I think the San Diego/Orange County area is probably the best all around. More a banana belt type of climate, varies just a few degrees up and down, and you dont get those butt ass cold mornings the deserts get in the winter. And you can usually go in the ocean most the time, tons of pools and masters programs, and ride inland and you can climb mountains up to 6k feet.

And the best thing is that you dont have to leave in the summer!! When it is 115 in Tuscon and Palm Springs it is 85 and beautiful here!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Tuscon is nice, about like La Quinta(Palm Springs area). Super vibrant cycling community in the winter in the Coachella valley, but like Tuscon, you have to get out of town for at least 4 months, so not a great place to live and stay. Agree the winters are great though.

Santa Barbara is also pretty good, but dead of winter it can be cold and foggy a lot. And forget about the ocean, lucky to ever get out of the 50's. I think the San Diego/Orange County area is probably the best all around. More a banana belt type of climate, varies just a few degrees up and down, and you dont get those butt ass cold mornings the deserts get in the winter. And you can usually go in the ocean most the time, tons of pools and masters programs, and ride inland and you can climb mountains up to 6k feet.

And the best thing is that you dont have to leave in the summer!! When it is 115 in Tuscon and Palm Springs it is 85 and beautiful here!!!

Why can't people spell the city's name correctly? Astounding.

Also, La Quinta isn't even close to Tucson as a training destination. Was just there this weekend. Nice, but not even close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:

Sorry about being focused on what's accessible to me.

EMJ makes something for you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, La Quinta isn't even close to Tucson as a training destination. Was just there this weekend. Nice, but not even close. //

Tell that to the 100,000 Canadians that go there to live and train every winter. What's you beef with La Quinta, weather is virtually the exact same as Tusscon, so must be something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Tucson.

I might be biased (I live here), but I just can't be convinced that there is any place better to be outdoors than southern Arizona from October - May. You pay for that with a ... warm ... summer, but the trade-offs are what make Tucson the "next" great trendy place to live... Maybe. Interestingly, in the Tucson sub-Reddit, there was a discussion about cyclists and cars interacting on Mt. Lemmon that was started by a driver. There is actually (mostly) civil discourse happening. I was SAG'ing on Lemmon on that particular day actually and there were indeed a TON of cyclists and vehicles (holiday weekend). Pretty awesome that can happen.

Anyway, the real reason for my post was to do my best to convince people that Tucson is where you want to bring all your monies over the winter and also show off a video I made of this past training week. My significant other and three of her friends did a traincation and got in a hair over 30 hours. I got to drive around a lot and drone.

Holy crazy amount of tar strips on those roads! That would drive me crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have "beef" with a town montee. I can't explain anything about what Canadians choose to do with their time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next