Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best new wheelset for under $2,000?? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks GMAN. That is very helpful.

I have read posts on here that the H3s are heavier than other race wheels. I looked on the HED website and the difference is at most 50 grams. That is 2-3 ounces.
Quote Reply
Re: Best new wheelset for under $2,000?? [BigPimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had read on ST that a Jet 9 front rides similar to a H3. That's why I didn't go with a Jet 9 front and went with a more friendly Jet 6. I prefer to be a little more comfortable on the bike as opposed to white knuckling a ride just to be a nanosecond faster.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Best new wheelset for under $2,000?? [Am00re34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

With a disc....I think this wheel is just sick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all certainly have a limited budget to work with. If I had to choose, I think I would go with the H3.

When I look at the wind tunnel data on Hed's website, the Jet 90 is a wheel that has a definite sweet spot where it shines. On the other hand, the H3 does really well in all wind angles. The H3 will serve you better across a range of conditions.

The choice of a rear wheel depends on how much you want to spend and how comfortable you feel with removing the cassette to put the cover on / off. A cover will save you money, but it will cost you more time and effort to work with. If you only have 1 wheelset, it becomes a bit of a pain to keep putting it on for races and taking it off for training. Another option could be to buy an inexpensive rear wheel and adding a cover to it. You'd still save a lot of money over a disk.

In Reply To:

Thank you... since you have tried both would you get: the H3 of the Jet 90 if you could only have one or the other? In addition, since I only have stock wheels on my Felt B16 should I go with a wheelcover or spring for the Jet Disc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just received a nice bonus at work and am looking to buy wheelset with my money. I want to spend under $2,000 for the set, tires, and maybe a cassette. I do get a 15% discount on all equipment with my local tri-club so maybe keep that in mind if the set you are recommending is near $2,000.

I was thinking about getting a HED set with a H3 up front and the HED disc in the back.

What are other wheelsets I should consider? (Zipp, Sram, HED, etc). Also, I am not against crossing brands so if you think a ZIPP/HED is the best combo please suggest it.

Thanks for your help

Wheelbuilder - HED Belgiums laced to a Powertap (~ 1400) , disc cover and a used deep front wheel for racing.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply

Prev Next