Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best multi-sport sunglasses?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I am looking for new sunglasses that I can use for both biking and running. I am mainly looking at the Oakley Radar EV and the Oakley EVZero but can't decide. Is the upperframe of the Radar EV in your view when in Aero position to an extent that it is enoying? And for the EVZero, are they good on the run given you have no upper frame?

Or, do you guys have any other/beter tips? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best multi-sport sunglasses? [Laurens4790] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.amazon.com/...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

$12. I just got a pair (fire)

I like them a lot. frameless, they fit close to protect from bugs and debris while riding, tinting is good...but, not too dark. they are also an ANSI safety glasses.

You're out $12 if they get lost, stolen, broken.

You can see them on me via IG and the #st100in100 tag. I'm the old dude in the white shirt, and white Halo Head sweat.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 11, 19 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the Oakley EVZero. I love mine running, cycling, driving, or just hanging out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have had radars for years and use them for running/riding/ driving/ hanging out by the pool/beach. They are all around best for me. I did try an the previous model to the ev zero and they did not seem to stay put as well. BTW i can barely see the top bar on in TT position and it is zero issue for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my EVZeros. They are so light yet stay on my face with no bouncing around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want rimless sunglasses for cycling, that is by far the best design. Although I haven't used the Oakley EvZero radar I don't like the look of that design and they are definitely not rimless. You would be better off with the Oakley EvZero Path which is rimless and allows completely unobstructed views. But yes as Tom Hampton knows, rimless glasses are awesome. I have been touting the same disposable cheapies in my "best cheap Ironman sunglasses" post for a few years.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to Smith years ago as I personally found Oakleys quality of years past as crap. Their optics are top notch and for cycling I love going rimless and there is a nose adjustment so you can adjust how far they sit away from your face. Some here on special for $99. Certainly worth considering...

https://www.backcountry.com/smith-attack-chromapop-sunglasses?skid=SMI00H8-RIS-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNtaXRoIE1lbidzIFN1bmdsYXNzZXM6MToxOjg3X2JjLW1lbnMtc3VuZ2xhc3Nlcw==
Quote Reply
Re: Best multi-sport sunglasses? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed.

I was pretty skeptical of a $12 pair of glasses. But, for $12 why the hell not? I got 2 pair as stocking stuffers for Xmas. Clear and flame.

I don't know if the optics are good or not... But, if someone can discern the optics while racing, they might not be working hard enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My three glasses being radarEV, evZero (path and range). The Radars feel much more robust if you are the type to take them on and off (while biking), in a deep tuck the top bar is visible but not so much in the way. The Zero's are lightweight and you'll forget that they are on your face (really love mine). Even with my zero-range's being the trail prism, those are the set I choose to TT with (a little claustrophobic with a visor).
I don't think you can go wrong, even being a cheap @$$ I realized that Oakley's are well worth it (personally went photochromic / road / trail)

I always want spy's dafts....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the EVZero and can’t recommend them enough. The frameless design is perfect for cycling and makes them very lightweight. As with all Oakley products, the optics are top notch and you get the shatterproof qualities as well. I picked up a pair for around $70 on amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket IIs with the photochromic lenses just to try them out. I agree the rimless designs give a more unobstructed view, but I have really enjoyed that lens, especially at the IM distance where you might start out overcast, go through the sunny part of the day, and then finish near/after dark. They never get super dark, which I prefer, but I will go with something darker if I know it’ll be clear and sunny all day. Like other Oakley lenses, they have great optics.
Quote Reply
Re: Best multi-sport sunglasses? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I switched to Smith years ago as I personally found Oakleys quality of years past as crap. Their optics are top notch and for cycling I love going rimless and there is a nose adjustment so you can adjust how far they sit away from your face. Some here on special for $99. Certainly worth considering...

https://www.backcountry.com/smith-attack-chromapop-sunglasses?skid=SMI00H8-RIS-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNtaXRoIE1lbidzIFN1bmdsYXNzZXM6MToxOjg3X2JjLW1lbnMtc3VuZ2xhc3Nlcw==

I love my Pivlock v2 Max, they are light, stay put, offer full vision coverage, and have no frame, but the lens-temple connection had some issues. I broke 2 temple pieces inside of 6 months. Smith did warranty them without any issue. Actually my current Pivlocks are 3rd generation warranty replacements. I started out with a pair of sliders in 2005 that, when they broke, Smith upgraded to Pivlocks for the difference in MSRP, and they have subsequently warrantied 2 times.

It looks like they've redesigned the Pivlock mechanism, and the attacks are using their magnet connect, so hopefully they've gotten more durable. Their service has always been top notch.
Quote Reply
Re: Best multi-sport sunglasses? [mmiloou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! And are you also running with your EVZero's? How is that going?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a very long term Oakley fan . . . still love them. I got a pair of Rokas on super sale. Mine are frameless and they are now my favorite to race in.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the brand 100%.

I bought a pair at my LBS (guess the Peter Sagan marketing worked on me hah!) and really like them. Incredibly lightweight and perfect optics. Have a higher quality feel than Oakley for similar pricing.

And just the fact they're not ubiquitous like Oakley is a plus.

Will be getting a pair better suited for running when the race season starts up. I believe they have a triathlete as part of their sponsored athlete stable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Oakley Flight Jacket, which I use for riding while training. They’re great for riding since they have no top frame.

I bought the Oakley Evzero Path for running. They’re incredibly light, almost weightless.

If I was looking to buy again I might look at the Oakley Evzero Stride. Seems like a lot of pro triathletes are rocking them. They’re nice looking. As nice or nicer than the Path.

Also the Roka SL-1X would be a good alternate to the Flight Jacket. They look awesome with the gold lens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been considering the EVzeros, since I find that the bottom of the frames on my other Oakleys makes it harder to look behind me in traffic. I’m seeing them on eBay for $60 new (I’m considering the TdF version: https://www.ebay.com/...0:g:DusAAOSw66JcNjOu ). Still figuring out if the prism lens is the way to go.

Disclaimer: I work at eBay.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best multi-sport sunglasses? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, they are $10.21 (and free shipping)
Thanks for the link!!!

Tom_hampton wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

$12. I just got a pair (fire)

I like them a lot. frameless, they fit close to protect from bugs and debris while riding, tinting is good...but, not too dark. they are also an ANSI safety glasses.

You're out $12 if they get lost, stolen, broken.

You can see them on me via IG and the #st100in100 tag. I'm the old dude in the white shirt, and white Halo Head sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: Best multi-sport sunglasses? [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to exaggerate for effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Best multi-sport sunglasses? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
You want rimless sunglasses for cycling, that is by far the best design. Although I haven't used the Oakley EvZero radar I don't like the look of that design and they are definitely not rimless. You would be better off with the Oakley EvZero Path which is rimless and allows completely unobstructed views. But yes as Tom Hampton knows, rimless glasses are awesome. I have been touting the same disposable cheapies in my "best cheap Ironman sunglasses" post for a few years.

Per Thomas's suggestion, I purchased the Crews Rubicon glasses off Amazon last year.

My wife also bought me the Air Relax recovery boots.

Both are fantastic!!

Thanks Thomas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've really liked these: https://www.xx2i.com/...th-polar-grey-lenses

They're like the Rudy Project of sunglasses and there is always a discount code for half off... but they've been excellent. I have the Bahamas for casual wear and love those as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using these from Planet X

Left my first pair on top of the car before driving off. As they are so cheap i just bought another pair. Nice and comfortable and lightweight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Radar EV Path for the ease of lens change. Prizm Road for all-round, Photochromic Clear Black Iridium for changing or dark weather/early morning/late evening/etc, Black Iridium for strong sun.
Considered other solutions but wouldn't want to own three or more different sun glasses just for sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be personal, lots of shades work for some & others not. I have the new Rudy "Defender" shades & they have a great feel & full coverage (especially in aero position). The Gentyk model has been my go to race pair, but they don't make those anymore (Rudy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call me slightly biased but I love the ROKA GP-1 and GP-1x for riding in aero and running.

Prev Next