Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY
Quote | Reply
Looking for the right hill within driving distance of White Plains, NY for an Everest challenge (or at least X% of it).

Friend and I did Bear Mountain 10 - 11 times to get 4000m of elevation gain last summer.

Recommendations appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not do Whiteface?

I climbed it once while spectating IMLP. 55mph descents, freshly paved and graded.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mohonk ridge, outside New Paltz? It's not the sexiest climb (no views, really) but one good thing mentally is you can go up and down both sides, so you're kinda mixing it up. No switchbacks to sap speed coming down. It's a blast to descend, I hit 52 going down it today.

Each side is about 2 miles at about 8%. The west to east side (mohonk Rd) is a touch harder than east to west (mountain rest Rd) if you ask me, couple ramps of steepness at the end. But it's a good candidate on paper.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Mohonk ridge, outside New Paltz? It's not the sexiest climb (no views, really) but one good thing mentally is you can go up and down both sides, so you're kinda mixing it up. No switchbacks to sap speed coming down. It's a blast to descend, I hit 52 going down it today.

Each side is about 2 miles at about 8%. The west to east side (mohonk Rd) is a touch harder than east to west (mountain rest Rd) if you ask me, couple ramps of steepness at the end. But it's a good candidate on paper.

Maybe someone can correct me, but I don't think going up and down two sides of a climb would count for official Everesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any of the Bike Up Mountain Point Series (BUMPS) climbs should work.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Why not do Whiteface?

I climbed it once while spectating IMLP. 55mph descents, freshly paved and graded.
Its 5 hours from White Plains
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:

Maybe someone can correct me, but I don't think going up and down two sides of a climb would count for official Everesting.

Is that really a rule? Haha I had no idea. Thought it was just any ride with equivalent elevation. I figured ppl just go up and down the same road bc it's most efficient.

If it is a rule, however, I would say my suggestion sticks but just pick one side lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
teichs42 wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:

Is that really a rule? Haha I had no idea. Thought it was just any ride with equivalent elevation. I figured ppl just go up and down the same road bc it's most efficient.

If it is a rule, however, I would say my suggestion sticks but just pick one side lol.

Yes, the rule definitely is all elevation from the same hill. That I’m sure of. Just not sure of the both side of a mountain thing. Probably not accepted though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at rt 23a between Palenville and Hains Falls. It rises about 2000 feet over about
2 miles. At Hains Falls you can make the right turn to North Lake Campground and gain hundreds more in elevation. I used to ride this all the time in each direction and it's a great ride with a great view at the hairpin turn.

If you want to suffer, try Platt Clove Rd from Saugerties to Hunter with it's 20% section.

Meads Mountain Rd in Woodstock, about 2 miles. I've run it a lot of times but never biked it. Great road

Rt 42 on the Shandaken/Lexington line; about 1.25 miles at 10%

Or just come up here and ride, we have the best cycling roads anywhere!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure you have to go up and down the same tarmac, just like you go up and down the real Everest from basecamp via the same route. As the moutaineers don't normally start in Nepal and end in China and then walk all the way around the range and enter Vietnam and make the trek across Laos, Burma and India to Nepal, same gig biking the elevation...up and down the same route.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well to be pedantic, when you climb Everest you also don’t ever go down... just up =)

But I agree w you - must be the same road and doing both sides of mountain doesn’t count
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Well to be pedantic, when you climb Everest you also don’t ever go down... just up =)

But I agree w you - must be the same road and doing both sides of mountain doesn’t count

I am not a moutaineer, but I believe they only count ascents when you safely make the descent section and can show you did it. This is why Mallory got a DNF....we have no clue if he made it up and all the way down, or partially up and died along the way, all the way up and died coming down. So the first is Tenzing + Hillary.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Take a look at rt 23a between Palenville and Hains Falls. It rises about 2000 feet over about
2 miles. At Hains Falls you can make the right turn to North Lake Campground and gain hundreds more in elevation. I used to ride this all the time in each direction and it's a great ride with a great view at the hairpin turn.

If you want to suffer, try Platt Clove Rd from Saugerties to Hunter with it's 20% section.

Meads Mountain Rd in Woodstock, about 2 miles. I've run it a lot of times but never biked it. Great road

Rt 42 on the Shandaken/Lexington line; about 1.25 miles at 10%

Or just come up here and ride, we have the best cycling roads anywhere!

I think your math on Rt 23a is off. That ridge climbs maybe 1200 ft max. 2000 ft over 2 miles is about 18% avg.

That said, Rt 23a isn't a bad choice. Relatively even gradients, relatively well-surfaced roads, and a descent that's not too challenging.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be right about 23a, if it is 18% I wouldn't have been climbing it regularly back in the day, but it's a great road for this. Reasonable traffic, challenging but not wicked climb and a blast to go down

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head to the catskills you can do Glades Hill in the catskill it averages 12% and its a straight up/down with 2000 ft of climbing. Another option is you can just do repeats up Anderson

https://pjammcycling.com/....Glade%20Hill%20Road
Last edited by: Iamleven: May 25, 20 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the short ride over the TZ to Harriman.

Do Arden Valley Road from Rte 17 to the circle at Seven Lakes Drive. Proceed around the circle, take Tiorati Brook to the U-turn just before the Palisades Pkwy. Rinse and repeat.

Should give you close to 5 miles in each direction. The 2 mile climb up Tiorati is harder than going up Arden - I don't have the elevation handy.

Little traffic (though heavier now on weekends bc of Covid), scenic and nice pavement.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:

Little traffic (though heavier now on weekends bc of Covid), scenic and nice pavement.

Actually the opposite, Arden Valley road is currently closed to motor vehicles due to covid, so it's the perfect time to grab your bike and ride up there.
As is Perkins

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
stillrollin wrote:

Actually the opposite, Arden Valley road is currently closed to motor vehicles due to covid, so it's the perfect time to grab your bike and ride up there.
As is Perkins

Tiorati is still open. So, I was half right ;)

I saw Rte 106 is closed to mv's too, so that's another great road to ride as well.

Come to think of it, that would be an alternative to the OP:
Rte 106 from 17 to Kinawauke Circle, around the circle, continue on Kinawauke, it turns into Willow Grove Road.

The descent out of Harriman on Willow Grove is my favorite. I've hit 52 mph, my PB. Climbing up, is not so much fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [Iamleven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive done this in a car on the way to the Catskill Maple Syrup place and I was terrified at its steepness...Loops around Rondout Reservoir are my favorite!
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that part of willow grove road gets pretty steep, not fun climbing at all, I also the descent on 106 when you are coming from Harriman out to rt 17, it isn't that steep and the turns are fairy sweeping, and now with no cars you can use the whole road and really rail the corners, you can do the whole thing without tapping the brakes once.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Why not do Whiteface?

55mph on buttery smooth descents? With no cars?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Why not do Whiteface?

22x to the toll gate on Whiteface would be the perfect climb. Its going to be 10-16 hrs of riding depending on ability, so 10 hrs of drive commuting and spending a night or two supporting the lake placid economy seems like a great option. Plus there is a convenience store at the bottom for an infinite supply of coke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think twice about choosing a hill just because you can hit 50MPH+ on the descent. I've hit 58MPH in the aerobars on a hill with some curves in it, and it was a total blast. I bring that up only to show that I am not adverse to bombing descents. But I did that once. I just Everested for the first time yesterday. I chose a hill where my top speed on the descent was 47MPH and my highest average for the descent was 43MPH. I did that descent 68 times. During hours 13 and 14, my confidence that I could descend at top speed was starting to wane. Descending at 50MPH+ late in the game would not have been fun. I guess I could have ridden the brakes, but I was in a hurry to finish ;-)

I guess my point is to pick a hill because it gives you the best bang for your buck, i.e., steep enough that you don't have to ride 300 miles to get 29029 ft. of climbing, but not so steep that you fry your legs early on and struggle toward the tail end. What that hill looks like depends on you. Don't pick it because you can bomb the descent.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Last edited by: Sparks: May 31, 20 20:35
Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Why not do Whiteface?

22x to the toll gate on Whiteface would be the perfect climb. Its going to be 10-16 hrs of riding depending on ability, so 10 hrs of drive commuting and spending a night or two supporting the lake placid economy seems like a great option. Plus there is a convenience store at the bottom for an infinite supply of coke.

FWIW, the difference between normal tuck and supertuck, for me, is 5mph at 55mph.

Quote Reply
Re: Best hill to Everest around White Plains, NY [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let’s hear some more details on this! How hard was it? How long did it take? Are you glad you did it? How steep was your hill?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next