Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri?
Quote | Reply
I can't justify having two helmets, one aero with visor for 70.3 or Ironman and another for the Oly/Sprint races. I just don't do that many events anymore.

Both my helmets are old now and I have no access to aero data for myself, and I'm sure I'd be better off losing some pounds or training more.

So, what would you pick as an aero helmet that can serve well in both types of races? or in other words a do-it-all helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giro Vanquish all the way.

http://aerogeeks.com/2018/08/21/giro-vanquish-mips-review/
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized Evade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, the Evade and Vanquish are the top pics (Bontrager Ballista also gets some honorable mentions).

If it were me, get the Evade for draft legal and everyday riding. Look at getting a Giro Advantage2 (<$50 on eBay) for the longer, non-drafting races. It doesn't test as well at newer helmets like the Giro Aerohead or the new Rudy, but it's not far off (and faster than the aero road helmets).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, just use a road helmet for draft legal.
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Giro Spherical Eclipse is supposedly a lot more aero than the vanquish. I’ve picked one up, have a bunch of rides with it so far, and it’s lighter and more comfortable than the vanquish.

https://www.giro.com/...000000300000136.html
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a huge fan of having a visor for the tri bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized evade is the fastest testing aero road helmet
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first or second version?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First generations would be timing out by this point even if you could find one. Buy new
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this one! I always thought of it more of a just aero/tri helmet, not road. And I like visors as well for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ballista looks a lot like the Evade actually!
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thought so. And yes, helmet should be new. I can't risk what's left of my brains at this point lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Best helmet for draft legal and not draft legal tri? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
The new Giro Spherical Eclipse is supposedly a lot more aero than the vanquish. I’ve picked one up, have a bunch of rides with it so far, and it’s lighter and more comfortable than the vanquish.

https://www.giro.com/...000000300000136.html

I suppose it's more aero than the Vanquish without the shield but Giro doesn't specify.

I'm hesitating between Eclipse and Vanquish. I had a Vanquish that saved me in a crash and I really liked the option to use the visor. But since I already have an Aerohead, maybe the cooler Eclipse would make more sense. Both are in the €200-220 range. I suppose it'll take time to find a good sale on the Eclipse because it was just released this spring.

I'll set an alert for both at €150 and I'll buy the first one to hit the price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I got a Bontrager Ballista a few years ago and love it! It may compromise a bit of this and that, but it has served me very well. I am one of the few that has never got full aero. Between weight, air flow, and what I call "sensory awareness" this style is my preference.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott Cadence is also in the discussion, with the removable vent plugs, it is a worthy aero road helmet that gives you some flexibility. IThat's my go to, including for DL racing...
Quote Reply