Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best gravel bike mod for comfort?
Quote | Reply
After lots of gravel riding and racing, I find comfort to be the aspect of it that gives me the most trouble. The constant jarring and terrain-focus has me looking for tweaks that will improve my chances of longer-term comfort.

I've looked at Llauf forks, elastomer-laden stems, shock-absorbing seat posts, vibration dampening bars, aero bars and of course tires and tire pressure.

What's worked for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Best gravel bike mod for comfort? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
After lots of gravel riding and racing, I find comfort to be the aspect of it that gives me the most trouble. The constant jarring and terrain-focus has me looking for tweaks that will improve my chances of longer-term comfort.

I've looked at Llauf forks, elastomer-laden stems, shock-absorbing seat posts, vibration dampening bars, aero bars and of course tires and tire pressure.

What's worked for you?

Where are you most uncomfortable? Your ass, shoulders, arms legs? All of it?
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Best gravel bike mod for comfort? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hands and arms.

And probably feet. I use egg beaters but over 5 or 6 hours, I get a definite hot spot in the balls of my feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wider tires and lower pressure. Tubeless is a must. I run 43mm width tires. Also wrap an old tube underneath your handlebar tape on the top section of your handlebar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Hands and arms.

And probably feet. I use egg beaters but over 5 or 6 hours, I get a definite hot spot in the balls of my feet.

Maybe try Candy pedals instead of Eggbeaters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bar tape and vibration damping bars seem to do very little.

Shock stop stem has a noticeable effect. I'm sure the Lauf does as well.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinekt seatpost and a light touch on the bars. Ride in the drops for all descents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Candy pedals.

Appropriate tire pressure for the course.

Widest tires possible. Wider tire means lower pressure too.

Making sure you relax your body and legs too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Hands and arms.

For me, REALLY good bar tape and gloves help a lot. Gel pads are great as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one has suggested bike fit yet, but that may be contributing. Too much weight on your hands/arms and not enough on the saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Lauf. And flared bars for rough descents.
Quote Reply
Re: Best gravel bike mod for comfort? [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point. My gravel set up is borne from experimentation and failure. It's a much more upright setup than my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Best gravel bike mod for comfort? [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jacob2727 wrote:
No one has suggested bike fit yet, but that may be contributing. Too much weight on your hands/arms and not enough on the saddle?

This!! Fit is the always the first area to check. Especially with hands and arms. With a properly fitted bike, the bike should almost disappear.

That said, I love my Lauf! It takes out much of the vibration and absorbs some rock impact. But as good as the fork is, it won’t solve a bad fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
That's a good point. My gravel set up is borne from experimentation and failure. It's a much more upright setup than my road bike.

This is a common misconception about gravel bike fit and is probably the source of discomfort.

If you have a comfortable road bike setup, start with that, then add maybe 1-2cm of stack, and reduce 1-2 of reach.

That being said my personal road and gravel fits are identical.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jan 30, 23 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding more gravel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built my 3T with these from day 1 so don’t have a before/after comparison, but I’ve been enjoying a combination of Lizard Skins 4.2mm tape, Cane Creek eeStem, and tubeless with low(er) pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redshift shockstop stem is a game changer for me. 20mm of travel and seems to make a huge difference for me on my gravel bike! Give it a try, you won’t regret it.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Best gravel bike mod for comfort? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is my next purchase. Five-day 350 mile 'races' with 30k of climbing convinced me that front-end shock absorption is underrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:

What's worked for you?

Redshift stem and the Canyon VCLS seatpost. 45mm tyre widths too. I have run tyres as wide as 2.1 inches which is really plush but its a dog on the asphalt sections then.
Quote Reply
Re: Best gravel bike mod for comfort? [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
Redshift shockstop stem is a game changer for me. 20mm of travel and seems to make a huge difference for me on my gravel bike! Give it a try, you won’t regret it.

Same here. A simple, elegant design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just gonna throw in another recommendation for this, not that you needed it. There are so many washboards on the gravel here in Utah, a little cliche but the shockstop changed things from being nearly unrideable to quite bearable. Cannot recommend it enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have stated"love my lauf". Fork absorbs a bunch but also lets me run 700 x 2.25 rubber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to determine what is an acceptable level of comfort and how much you are willing to 'pay' for it in terms of weight. When people say, "Oh, 40 mm tires are enough," I want to laugh. If you ride that around here you are going to be doing hike-a-bike a lot.
Comfort is like that.
I went through multiple iterations before I arrived at my present 'gravel' bike.
1. Modified hybrid with 40mm tires. Rigid.
2. Modded mtb frame with 50-55mm tires. Rigid.
3. Modded mtb frame with front suspension fork.
4. Dual suspention mtb with drop bars.
All with some drop bar mods and most with aerobars.
Only when I reached number four did I find an acceptable level of comfort for my roads.
Now I can ride comfortable in any terrain I might encounter and enjoy the descents.
The downside?
It's heavy. That's it. At 31 pounds with everything I need to race and make repairs, except water, it does not climb like an eagle, but man, it can go down fast. And unlike on the pavement, where the downhill cannot make up in a short period what you lose on a long climb, with dual sus I can blow away rigid bikes on downhills.
For me, it is the perfect bike to ride my terrain. I can ride offroad in the aerobars with a headwind even over washboard.
Now, whether that is your terrain type is what you have to decide and you have to reach whatever level of comfort is acceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Shockstop stem is great, but I believe the Lizard Skin 3.5mm thick bar tape helps almost as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
What's worked for you?
What works for me are 75mm wide tires at 7psi (+/-).

No, it's not fast, but comfort?
Just extraordinary.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 1, 23 8:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next