Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best disc wheel for disc brakes
Quote | Reply
i am looking to buy a new disc wheel for disc brakes. I had Zipp Super 9 with rim brakes for years and there is no way to find such wheel on stock at the moment for disc brakes. Delivery date is next spring as soonest.
There are other alternatives like HED, DTswiss and Citec which are all in stock here in Europe.
I am talking about Tubeless version only.

what is your experience? please dont mention any disc wheel which has not disc brake version yet in the market.
Last edited by: Plissken74: Oct 1, 21 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AeroCoach ! Went from Zipp rim brake to AeroCoach disc brake - I like the feel better.. since it’s not solid - it’s a bit more forgiving on bad roads

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with AeroCoach as well. Zephyr up front and a rear disc, for my P-Series. Very happy with them so far, just be sure you carry the proper tools to inflate the rear and remove the valve cover on the front (if you also get a front wheel).
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks but it has minimum 10 weeks waiting time...probably longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And you have a race coming up before that?

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're racing this season you're over thinking it a bit. Get the one that is in stock. As a value oriented consumer I have a weird aero/cost thing going on in my head.

I'm a BIG fan of HED wheels yet would not hesitate to stick one of the others on the back for racing. Up front that's a different story.

If you're not racing this year than you can afford to wait a bit, fingers crossed, there may be more stock and/or other offerings on the market that currently are not offered.

ETA: I, my former mechanic friend nor 2 bike shops could get vittoria corsa speeds 2.0 TLR to mount on my hed disc tubeless even with 3 layers of tape. IDK if that works into your equation. I know one other person who tried this and we're running them w/latex tubes. IDK if that works into your equation or not.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 1, 21 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
thanks but it has minimum 10 weeks waiting time...probably longer

That's sort of the norm these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Flo Disc Discs are in stock and still pretty reasonably priced. I've got one and have been running it tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shotts wrote:
I believe Flo Disc Discs are in stock and still pretty reasonably priced. I've got one and have been running it tubeless.

Me too but I don’t know if they are in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think there are differences in aero drag for the different discs anymore, so I would make my choice other considerations. The weight advantage would probably go to wheels that aren’t the spoked wheels with a cover, which tend to be the HED, AeroCoach,…. If your racing has significant climbs and extra 1/2 kilo might be a concern.The advantage of a spoked or tensioned disc wheel is lateral stiffness and handling. Technical descents and handling confidence might be better on a disc with more lateral stiffness. Price is a consideration for most people.

For my racing, it is pretty much flat to lightly rolling and I am reasonably frugal. The HED wheels are where I tend to land because they are fast, durable and reasonably priced. I have no idea why Brian had trouble getting his to seal. Mine have been pretty bullet proof.

Now if I could get a better deal on a DT Swiss wheel, I don’t think I would hesitate with that choice either.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Oct 2, 21 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a tubeless disc from far sports. Full carbon disc breaks. It’s excellent and cost less than $1k. Took about 3 weeks to receive. Very happy with it.

https://www.wheelsfar.com/...-tubeless-p0104.html
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Do you have any pictures of the disc? I was thinking about getting that exact one with a DT350.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming at this with a slightly different angle (sorry if this is a thread hijack). I've been running 28mm tyres on my (disc brake) TT bike in training and really enjoying the wider tyres. I've been doing it on my road bike the past couple of years so the idea of going back to anything narrower for racing doesn't really appeal.

However, my issue is I can't really find a true race wheel setup that is suited to a wider 28mm tyre. There's a few mid depth front wheel options out there, but if I want a disc at the back then all the options seem stuck in the past when it comes to inner rim width. Best I can find is the new DT Swiss at 20 mm, but all the regular options (Zipp, Enve, even Aerocoach) are ~18 mm internal.

Is there anything out there that I've missed or overlooked?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ours will be in stock on Friday.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our Jet and Vanquish discs have been 21 internal for years. 32 external at the wide point of the wheel

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve just been onto the Premier website but there weren’t any details about inner rim width. Also at 25mm outer that’s not going to play nice with a 28mm tyre.

Do you have more details you can share?
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
19.5 inner

Wheels are optimized for 25 mm Continental GP5000 TL.

You can use 23mm and 28 mm tires as well.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Oct 13, 21 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the Prime disc from Wiggle?
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just one warning on the prime disc. If you have SRAM AXS you need a special adapter. They are not DT Swiss hubs or another main stream brand so you need to buy the adapter from Wiggle/ChainReaction. Last time I checked they were out of stock with no expected availability in the future. I ended up having to return because of this.
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

Well I just recieved this wheel. So I can let you know once I mount it up take it for a spin.
I couldn't justify a Zipp or anything that expensive, and this was as cheap are the farsports and yoeleo ones.
reviews have been good so worth a crack I thought. Has to better than my 62mm wheel currently on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Persia1921 wrote:
Just one warning on the prime disc. If you have SRAM AXS you need a special adapter. They are not DT Swiss hubs or another main stream brand so you need to buy the adapter from Wiggle/ChainReaction. Last time I checked they were out of stock with no expected availability in the future. I ended up having to return because of this.

Great thanks for letting me know, I was about to buy the Prime disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Cunniff1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cunniff1981 wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Well I just recieved this wheel. So I can let you know once I mount it up take it for a spin.
I couldn't justify a Zipp or anything that expensive, and this was as cheap are the farsports and yoeleo ones.
reviews have been good so worth a crack I thought. Has to better than my 62mm wheel currently on there.

Yeah the cost of Zipp (and other manufacturers) is crazy. $4k+ in Australia...How is the wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Best disc wheel for disc brakes [Cunniff1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cunniff1981 wrote:
zedzded wrote:

For prob a couple hundred more than the wiggle disc, you could likely get a HED Jet disc brake disc wheel. Proven track record, US company with good support, and likely much higher resale value.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 14, 21 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parcours have a disc brake disc on their site in the UK, and new orders shipping late october supposedly.

the site is here; Disc (disc brake) from ÂŁ919 - Parcours Wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron Wheels....

https://ronwheels.com/disc-wheels/5-67-aeron-x.html#/1-b%C4%99benek-shimano_10_11s/9-kolor-blue
Quote Reply

Prev Next