Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best clinchers 2020
Quote | Reply
Need a new pair of all around clinchers for 2020.

Leaning towards GP 5000 to be honest I keep doing research and it’s all good there. More looking for suggestions on something that could be 90% as good at 80% the price.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP4000 for every day, all-around tire. Easy to find around $30 and a quality tire

Victoria Corsa for Tris/TTs. Little pricier but gotta have that low rolling resistance sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

Leaning towards GP 5000 to be honest I keep doing research and it’s all good there. More looking for suggestions on something that could be 90% as good at 80% the price.

I use the 5000 TL on my road bike28c and the 5000 on the TT rig 23c No punctures in 5000 miles of riding and racing.

Best tyres out there by far. Previously used conti TT. Within 200 yard could tell the 5000 were better.

They have come down in price over the past year. Worth the extra for good rubber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been very happy with the gp5000. You can pick them up now for $35 usd.
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

I use the 5000 TL on my road bike28c and the 5000 on the TT rig 23c No punctures in 5000 miles of riding and racing.

Best tyres out there by far. Previously used conti TT. Within 200 yard could tell the 5000 were better.

They have come down in price over the past year. Worth the extra for good rubber.

Amen. Best tyre out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion is dont worry about $7-8 and get the 5000's and gett 100% of the performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP5000 clinchers are holding up really well with latex tubes and a few 1000km here. Not such a good experience with the GP5000TL. I sliced a sidewall of one at a few 100km (just bad luck), and the rear started delaminating at ~4000km.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:

Great price

Where?
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think Aerocoach is doing a best TT tire shootout again, where “best” is Crr and CdA. Hard to beat the 5000 for an everyday tire. I bought some 5000s and a pair of 4000s for a set of training wheels. Wish I had just bought 2 sets of 5000s.
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve gone 100% GP5K across all my bikes. Hard to beat ‘em.
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:

Great price

Where?

Amazon is cheaper for two with the free shipping. It looks like it is $6.99 shipping there for $41.98.

$77.98

https://www.amazon.com/...8&th=1&psc=1

I love the GP5000s.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The side wall seems to wear quite quickly, I have them on both my road bike and TT bike and on both of them they are showing the wires or whatever it is through the rubber on the sidewall with less than 500km on them.. They're 23mm on one bike and 25mm on the other one and aired up to about 7 bar.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Feb 4, 20 23:57
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's best bang for the buck, the canadian buck, at around 50.00?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
GP4000 for every day, all-around tire. Easy to find around $30 and a quality tire

Victoria Corsa for Tris/TTs. Little pricier but gotta have that low rolling resistance sometimes

Which Vittoria Corsas?

Last edited by: plant_based: Feb 6, 20 18:48
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G+ 2.0 TLR if you’re swinging for the fences.

On an unrelated note, the specialized turbo cottons test well but have been terrible for me. Very fragile and very low mileage durability

GP5000 is probably the best all around, do-it-all tire that also lasts a long time

This chart is helpful: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
G+ 2.0 TLR if you’re swinging for the fences.

On an unrelated note, the specialized turbo cottons test well but have been terrible for me. Very fragile and very low mileage durability

GP5000 is probably the best all around, do-it-all tire that also lasts a long time

This chart is helpful: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
The side wall seems to wear quite quickly, I have them on both my road bike and TT bike and on both of them they are showing the wires or whatever it is through the rubber on the sidewall with less than 500km on them.. They're 23mm on one bike and 25mm on the other one and aired up to about 7 bar.

Funny you say that, I was thinking the same, not on the TT bike but on my road bike with the 28c TL. Nothing serious, just thought the side walls looked like they were wearing. Road bike im running at 75-80psi. Didn't notice anything with the first set of tyres I had.

It might just be that the lettering wears away from weathering rather than friction contact and that's what i'm seeing.
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember to remove 2w from each clincher tire if you're gonna run latex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally still prefer Conti TT's over anything.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody found the GP 5000 to be very hard to get on and off rims?
Turbo Cottons are great that way. Also ride great, but don’t last as long.
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. They've all been easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I put 25mm GP5000 on my road bike the other day. The wheels are a narrow rim set of 5 year old Ksyrium Elites. I had no problem putting them on using thumbs only. About the same or maybe a little easier than I recall for GP4000sII. I plan to put a set on my tri bike Swiss Sides this weekend. Expect they'll be similarly easy....
Quote Reply
Re: Best clinchers 2020 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
No. They've all been easy.

Me too, both sets of wheels have been easy on and off, that's tubeless and non tubeless. Much easier than the Pro One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:

There might be some confusion about the tube and tubeless versions. The tubeless were very tight when I put them on my HED Jets. The Incredible Hulk would have a hard time getting those on without tire levers. The tubed version went on fine. I can't say it was any different than the old 4000s.
Quote Reply

Prev Next