Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best carrier for a mtb tandem?
Quote | Reply
I have a Tacoma TRD Off-road with an ARES cap and Yakima crossbars, also a 2 inch hitch. I have a Thule hitch rack that works well with mtb, fat bike and roadbike but the tandem is too long and would jut out past the sides of the truck. Don’t really want to lift the bike onto the roof rack. Bike sticks out of the bed and the bed is too short to hang the front wheel over the tailgate. Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Best carrier for a mtb tandem? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of fun to ride.... a real pain in the ass to move :)
In your situation maybe purchase the appropriate fork mount for your standard, bolt/screw it to a 2x10 and somehow attach the 2x10 to the bed. Attach bike to fork mount so the rear wheel is towards the front cab, into the bed as far as possible. Have to leave the tailgate down. Perhaps then secure handle bars to the side of the bed via straps.

So think of it like a roof top tray rack but instead of on top of the vehicle it’s in the bed reversed overhanging the tailgate slightly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must start by first buying a real truck.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically transport my tandems in the bed of my short box truck by using a fork mount bolted to a 4X4 that is screwed to a 2X12. This board lays in the bed tight to the front of the box, full width. The rear tire of the bike sits on the tailgate while being straight in the bed. If I push the rear of the bike all the way to the opposite corner of the bed, I can close the tailgate.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since your Taco bed is too short to fit the fork over the tailgate, I don't think the above suggestion will work.
Having a shell on makes this even more difficult.
I would suggest a fork mount mounted to a board running the same direction as the truck. Front wheel off.
Mount bike back wheel to the cab.
Tailgate down and fork mount out that way.
Screw a board perpendicular to the one the fork is mounted on where it will fit into the board mounts in your bed.
Strap around the head tube to the lower rear bed tie downs to keep everything in there.
With a shell, seat posts probably have to be lowered. Hopefully stoker bars fit under shell as well.
Shell upper tailgate might be an issue.

Another less elegant idea is hitch mount that hangs bike by the frame. Take both wheels off and probably not too much overhang.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an older Thule tandem rack for the top of my car. Front wheel comes off and there is a strap that attaches to the front handlebar and seat that keeps the front from turning. Lift up the front end to a rotating fork mount, then lift and turn the back end up to the top. Pretty easy to do. I have not found a way to hang it off the back.

drn92
Quote Reply