Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best brake cable for tight fit/bends
Quote | Reply
I am going to attempt a project that will probably require one or two tight bends of brake cable. Which non linked brake cable would you recommend for this? thank you.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Best brake cable for tight fit/bends [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really by design there is a problem with tight bends and traditional housing.
On the one hand, you could go with cheap no-name housing, expecting it will bend more easily. The question of how much friction the actual cable will be under is another thing.
On the other hand, you could go with high end housing... but then it's going to be extremely stiff. IF it can physically make the turn/bend... use that as you'll still likely have less friction.

I've done some crazy bends with links over the years... it's really what it's made for. Any reason you're specifically avoiding it?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best brake cable for tight fit/bends [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No reason. Just never used it. I’m not the best at working on my bike. It would be internally routed so I’m not sure if it would be more difficult.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so long as you've got stops (so that the links can't just slide around) there's no issue running just the liner (or even bare cable if that's how you want) through the frame.On my old Speed concept (gen1) I ran traditional liner through the frame itself, then an inline barrel adjuster as it exited the top tube, and then links beyond that point for cleaner routing (that way I could just always leave that pre-cut length of traditional liner in the frame so I didn't need to measure/re-cut every time I changed something in the cockpit)

I've used most (all?) of the links... the Jagwire's are quite a bit easier to install than the old Nokons/i-links and you can still get pretty tight bends with them. If it's a really sharp 90° or more, i-links are what I got the tightest bends out of.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait till you have to do that with hydraulic hoses..
Quote Reply
Re: Best brake cable for tight fit/bends [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an shiv so I do not have a cable drop going to the rear brake until the brake itself. I guess I could use 2 barrel adjusters one when it first enters the internal routing tube and one right before it leaves the frame.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Morelock on using the Jagwire links for tight bends. I did that recently on the Alpha X bars since I found everything to be a little tight in there together.
Quote Reply
Re: Best brake cable for tight fit/bends [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any pics to share?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just a rat's nest of 5 black di2 wires, a black junction box, a black brake housing, and a few visible red links stuffed into a black TriRig Alpha X cavity.
Quote Reply
Re: Best brake cable for tight fit/bends [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. Yeah I guess that’s all it can look like.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
No reason. Just never used it. I’m not the best at working on my bike. It would be internally routed so I’m not sure if it would be more difficult.
The links are pretty easy to use and once you have the links... it makes for a nice product where you just have to replace the housing and can reuse the links. I have and use the Jagwire... very nice product.

Bends are definitely one of its strong points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lateral thought (not knowing where/how you want to set it up, from descriptions you are running cables internally)...

Would it be feasible to use either a vee-brake noodle, or something like an Avid rollamajig?
Quote Reply
Re: Best brake cable for tight fit/bends [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
lateral thought (not knowing where/how you want to set it up, from descriptions you are running cables internally)...

Would it be feasible to use either a vee-brake noodles, or something like an Avid rollamajig?

I did use successfully one of those flexible V-brake noodle inside my alphaX aerobar.
Fits ok, better than a cable housing. Note : only the cable exits my alphaX, straight to the omegaX brake.
Last edited by: pwai: May 1, 19 11:03
Quote Reply