Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best bike rack
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a new hitch rack, the style that holds your tires. I have a rack that holds the frame, and I should add I had a bike fly off of it once doing 60mph. Don't want that to happen again!

What is the best rack to get?

My needs:

Usually I travel with just my bike, but on occasion- a few times a year or more, I may need to travel with up to 4 bikes. Not sure if there is a rack that can be only 4 bikes when it needs to be, because that's a bike rack to lug around when I'm generally just hauling 1 bike. I also have a seasucker rack that holds 2 bikes. It worked well for my old car, but won't work with this car.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1Up USA

exit(thread);
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
1Up USA

exit(thread);

Yup! I've owned a few different racks and finally splurged for a 1Up. Far and away the best rack I've ever owned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. After several different versions of racks with the cables attaching to the trunk, all breaking in one way or another.
I splurged, had a hitch mounted on our Jeep and bought a 1Up USA.

Absolutely love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
1Up USA

exit(thread);

yes, this. and super easy to buy an additional add-on rack to it

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see everyone says 1up. Curious why not Saris, Kuat, Yakima, Thule?

Looking at pics, the design doesn't look "out of this world". I have not seen one in person, so tell me what I am missing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it just works really really well.
easy to install.
easy to put on bikes.

just bedazzle it to give some bling

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my Kurt Sherpa, really simple to use. I like the way it tightens up inside the receiver so the whole thing doesn't move around at all while driving. I believe their nv can expand to 4. But I've seen a few 1ups and have been impressed. Will definitely consider a 1up next time I might need a rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Kuat NV. I have a buddy with one that holds 4 bikes & he loves it too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a KUAT NV, absolutely love it. Relatively easy to assemble, once built it's incredibly easy to use and sturdy. Highly recommend it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Looking at pics, the design doesn't look "out of this world". I have not seen one in person, so tell me what I am missing.

Why I like it:

It's very easy to take on and off the car. Slide it into the hitch, One bolt tightens it up. The bikes are easy on and off.
I like that it tilts, even with bikes on it so you can get into the hatch if you need to be. (I know it isn't the only one that does that.)

It isn't plastic. Seems well made and will hopefully last. Every other rack I had was mostly plastic and broke or cracked in some way or another.

It folds up nicely and I can just store it in the hatch when not on the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

I think the only thing you are missing between Saris and 1Up would be the fact that you can add on to a 1Up rack. I do not think you can add on to a Saris rack. As a long time Saris hitch rack owner, I love my Freedom Super Clamp. Before that, I owned the two bike Thelma and prior to the Thelma, I owned their notorious Bones rack. Lifetime warranty, and great customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the kuat NV with the 2 bike add on. No complaints.

It has locking cables for each bike and a portable work stand attaches to the top.
I also purchased it at performance bike, so you can get a hefty discount if you time it right.

I feel the 1up is better in that it's easier to go from 2 to 4 bikes, and it may be lighter.

I like how the kuat has one bar to hold a wheel and a strap for the back tire.
The 1up has two ratcheting bars, one for each wheel. It may be more to wear out, just a thought.

I liked having built in cable locks and the performance discount gave the Kuat the edge for me and that's why I bought it over the 1up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those recommending 1UP, do they ever go on sale? Or is $300 best price for a single bike rack?

I can pick up a used Saris SuperClamp for $200 and am debating if the extra $100 is worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much higher quality materials, all aluminum with stainless hardware. The other brands you mentioned use much cheaper powder coated regular steel and plastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up USA! Great rack and only holds bikes by their tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in my 2013 blog review of the Kuat NV I mentioned that it was bomb proof, well it seems like it is not. I do like the Kuat NV and have enjoyed it for the past 4 years, but if I were looking again at the moment I would go with the 1Up for sure. The plastic front wheel scoop cracked months ago and it did not take much to break it. It held up for a while, but now is at the point that it cannot be used. I have a replacement wheel scoop on order. Also the front wheel holder and ratchet system is not as smooth functioning as it once was. Just a little disappointed at the moment so take my post for what it is. Perhaps most still feel as if the NV is bomb proof.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with Sea Sucker?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the OP and I have a sea sucker. Always worked great, no problems.

Bad news for me is that my new car has a roof that has ripples in it, in the design- it isn't flat. So, I can't put the sea sucker on it! It's weird to trust the suction cups, but I never had a problem. I'm not sure that I would trust it on a 6 hr drive though. Not to say it wouldn't work. I'm just fearful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's brutally practical and does what it needs to do. Additionally, customer support is great. I pulled a stupid and backed into a downspout with my rack. I needed replacement parts not listed on website, so they did up the order and got me the parts. I've even heard of them making discontinued parts for people who have needed them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another satisfied 1-up owner. My only negative is -- I wish it was easier to secure my bike to the rack. I have a short cable and lock, but you would think they could devise something integral.

If I had to buy another, I'd get the same one, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike rack [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Back in my 2013 blog review of the Kuat NV I mentioned that it was bomb proof, well it seems like it is not. I do like the Kuat NV and have enjoyed it for the past 4 years, but if I were looking again at the moment I would go with the 1Up for sure. The plastic front wheel scoop cracked months ago and it did not take much to break it. It held up for a while, but now is at the point that it cannot be used. I have a replacement wheel scoop on order. Also the front wheel holder and ratchet system is not as smooth functioning as it once was. Just a little disappointed at the moment so take my post for what it is. Perhaps most still feel as if the NV is bomb proof.

I'll second this - The Kuat NV is great, but if I could do it all over again I'd get a 1up entirely due to the wear and tear aspect of the plastic bits and ratcheting arms. The integrated workstand has been super convenient for quick tune ups and washing bikes after races, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the 1 up for 3 years now and can't recommend it enough. I live in the NYC area, street park, and leave it on 24/7 (rather replace the rack then then bumper), and driven it as far as 5 hours and it has NEVER given me a problem. Utterly indestructible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I'm looking for a new hitch rack, the style that holds your tires. I have a rack that holds the frame, and I should add I had a bike fly off of it once doing 60mph. Don't want that to happen again!

What is the best rack to get?

My needs:

Usually I travel with just my bike, but on occasion- a few times a year or more, I may need to travel with up to 4 bikes. Not sure if there is a rack that can be only 4 bikes when it needs to be, because that's a bike rack to lug around when I'm generally just hauling 1 bike. I also have a seasucker rack that holds 2 bikes. It worked well for my old car, but won't work with this car.

Thoughts?

everything listed here screams 1up.

The plastic bits and ratcheting mechanisms on thule and kuat don't last forever, but the 1up does.
Quote Reply

Prev Next