Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best bike for the $$$$
Quote | Reply
If you had a budget of $3500 or less what bike/bikes would you be looking at?
I’m not buying a bike, but rather interested what others deem a Best Buy for that type of budget and why? Assume fit is not a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for the $$$$ [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am certainly biased but an entry level SHIV with upgraded wheels fits nicely in that area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
List is a little over $3500, but you can probably get a new Speed Concept for that. The design is a little long in the tooth, but you'd be hard pressed to find a bike at any price that's appreciably faster. It's a true super-bike, aero-wise, for a lower-midrange price. In a world of $14000 Shiv Discs and $16000 P5X's, its a downright steal.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much all the best BMX bikes are a grand or less.
You'll have plenty left over for some sweet kicks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for the $$$$ [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
I am certainly biased but an entry level SHIV with upgraded wheels fits nicely in that area.

I am biased too! :D

Go for the base model and I would rather go for upgrading the front brake to an omega x over the wheels. With a good fit and saddle, I feel like you're 80% there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2, put wheels that come with the bike on craiglist and get cheap deep carbon wheels.

That would make it a complete 3500 dollar superbike, completely integrated with stem and huge cockpit hydration, hidden brakes, ISM saddle, rear bottle holder, R8000 Ultegra groupset, bento box.

And right now they're even selling the completely identical 2018 model at a pretty big discount at several european stores.

If this bike fits you theres no competition to this in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best option is to know hour fit coordinates and what bikes will work for you. Then be patient for the right used bike to come along. Way more bike for your buck this way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We talking tri bikes or road? Or either?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now I have a Felt IA16, which was a year old model when I got it, but brand new from the shop. Paid 2,300. For the remaining ~1200, I'm upgrading to di2 and upgrading the cockpit (admittedly finding deals on used parts). Alsoalready have a power meter and race wheels, so for around ~3500 total current spend, I'll have what I think is a pretty legit bike and I wont have a lot of reason to be jealous at the bike rack. I still will be, but it'll just be without reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
I’m not buying a bike, but rather interested what others deem a Best Buy for that type of budget and why? Assume fit is not a factor.

A used p2sl with a decent set of wheels, fast tyres, upgraded bar, and a good power meter.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for the $$$$ [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:

+1 the shivs value is hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for the $$$$ [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Shiv, too, and agree that, at $2200, the "Sport" model's a great buy. Unfortunately, it's no longer in the catalog. There are a few left in shops, but when they're gone, the lower threshold for the Shiv goes up to $3000, a price point where there's a lot more competition. (IA 16, PR3, PR4, P2, etc)

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Nov 9, 18 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:

What I'd do.... (and did)...

Old P3C, P4, Shiv TT, or Chinese frame. Shiv TTs are kinda pricey, and P4s can be as well. I went Chinese open mold, personally. BSA bottom bracket (can set up for low Q), nice nude UD gloss.

Syntace carbon base bar: $60
Felt Bayonet 3 bars: $300. Aero and super adjustable.
DA 7402 cranks: $75 (used)
Square taper BB: $50
Aero ring: $75
11spd DA shifter: $80
Ultegra rear derailleur: $60
Sram 11-28 cassette: $60 Unlike Shimano the Sram 11-28 has 1t difference from 11-17 which is good for 1x.
KMC chain: $25
Brakes: Omega front if it fits. Lets say $250 budget.

Deep front wheel: $400
Rear wheel with Powertap hub and cover: $650
Corsa Speed tires and latex tubes: $100
Saddle: $50

That's $2110, leaving you $1390 for the frame. You could find a good Shiv TT frame for less than that, and they come with bars.
Last edited by: rruff: Nov 9, 18 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2 or the Shiv. Flo wheels (or similar) and a disk cover. There's no need to drop 3K on wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kept my eye on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. Picked up a 2013 P2 for $500 and a set of Rolf Ares6 ES 60mm wheels for $300. I’ve been debating upgrading the base bar from the old T2 wing, not sure it will make a significant difference though.

Mind you my budget was around $1k so I think I got a great deal all around. I’d put the rest of that $3500 towards a family vacation or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike for the $$$$ [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Right now I have a Felt IA16, which was a year old model when I got it, but brand new from the shop. Paid 2,300. For the remaining ~1200, I'm upgrading to di2 and upgrading the cockpit (admittedly finding deals on used parts). Alsoalready have a power meter and race wheels, so for around ~3500 total current spend, I'll have what I think is a pretty legit bike and I wont have a lot of reason to be jealous at the bike rack. I still will be, but it'll just be without reason.

i did the same...bought a brand new (old stock) IA16 for $2k - add etap and that's $3,500 well spent.
Quote Reply