Login required to post replies

Best bike case
Quote | Reply
go ahead, shoot...justify why also..
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike case [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trico Iron Case

Have had it for 4 years, traveled all over the globe, never had a single problem.

Just as an anecdote, years ago when I lived in Brazil and had to travel with the bike ( and the airlines weren't all going under), all I did was bring the bike to the counter, and give it to them. One day, when I was waiting on the lobby for my luggage, I looked outside and saw one of the luggage handlers RIDING my bike back to me. From that day on, i decided I was taking the pedals off when flying the bike outside of a case. :-)

Get the Trico Case and be happy forever.

Ciao Frankie,

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can get by with a smaller case, I think the BikePro USA Pedal Pack Deluxe looks pretty good. Doubles as a giant suitcase when the wife travels!

https://www.bikeprousa.com/...2210231209.250.16.22

Too small for me so I went with the Race Case. Holds just as much as a Tri All 3 and will last longer (nothing to crack), and if you pack it right will be just as protected. Can't pile your other suitcases on top for wheeling around the airport as well though.

One thing to keep in mind is that weight can easily be your limiting factor in what you can get into it, the Race Case weighs about 30lbs empty, which doesn't leave you much for domestic flights with a 50 lb limit, so you may have to pay extra or bribe someone.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike case [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TA3 Clamshell.

Why? It's the lightest case I could find. Weight matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Trico case because my LBS rents them cheap.

I've wondered what options there are for a Softride with 650's for packing small? The Trico is okay but is a beast to haul around and fit in taxis. I've never seen a 650 only wheel safe and wonder if there are any small case options that can be used for a Softride with the beam removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeep brand garment bag. Wheel Safe hard shell wheel case.

Why? Because it flies free on every US based airline because each piece can go as checked baggage since they under the 62 inch size restriction.

Is it safe? I've been flying with this combination for about 4 years and somewhere around 20 or so flights without a scratch yet. The padded garment bag with frame can be lifted with one hand so the baggage handlers don't have a problem moving it around. Wheels and other parts are in the hard shell wheel case and are fully protected. Let me know if you want pictures.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

I've had a Trico for many years with never a problem (other than the baggage fee as Mike points out). I've read about the new Thule bike case, though, and it seems like they have "copied" the Trico but with nice improvements such as internal straps, bags, etc, and a very nice feature if you have a small car and Thule rack system -- the bike case can be "attached" somehow on the roof rack.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike case [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, that sounds interesting. Tell (and show) us more.

I've used the Trico case for seven or eight years. As far as protecting the bike and wheels it's great. It's a bear to haul around though the way the wheels were designed, so I attach one of those trolleys you can get to cart around luggage or crates, boxes, etc. that need wheels, and attach with a bungee around the whole thing. Works much better.

The easiest case to open, close, and wheel that I've used is called a TR-1. Don't know of its availability in other markets, though. Looks like a giant suitcase. Comes with a padded wheel carrier as it isn't wide enough to accommodate wheels.

Oh, and one last god aspect of the Trico case. When you're slumming it, the foam pads can double as mattresses!
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike case [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is some actual pictures from the packing process of the garment bag:

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little upset with my Serfas. I bought it based on some positive reviews. I have taken it to Japan and to France. When I got back from France I noticed one of the wheels was a little loose. One of the rivets holding the wheel bracket on came off. Those wheels have less than a mile of rolling travel on them and there's no reason they shouldn't be good as new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as you use a smaller frame than I, my recommendation would be for the Elite trave case.

Tough, solid and squash-proof construction ensures trouble free travelling - perfect for airline use with underside wheels to aid manoeuvring. Strong polythene construction with additional protection at corners and vulnerable areas. Padding keeps everything in place to prevent scratching and movement of parts. With retaining straps to fix the case firmly to most car roof bars. For security, each of the four clamps includes a loop that will accept most types of padlock. Roomy enough to hold spares and other items.

External dimensions : 1200 x 800 x 315 mm

Useful internal dimensions : 1180 x 780 x 260 mm

Weight : 14 kg

Simply purchase another sheet of foam to go on top of the frame (I got one for £6 from an upholsterers, cut to fit) and you are away. The wheels are underneath separated from the frame by foam and a rigid plastic sheet. A handle on the curved end and (smooth, replaceable) wheels at the other end takes care of moving around the aeroports and taxis. It is also small enough to fit into an Golf size hatchback with the back seats down, a considerable bonus when getting to the other side.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri All 3 Sports Case.

I have the Trico, my buddy has the other. No contest. It clamps the fork, in just like a bike rack, needs less assembly, has way better wheels, more room inside, and could take a hit from a small missile.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done this yet, but according to all the measurements, I can build a custom case that fits the airline regs for free flight. Barring that I think I will go with Mikes garment bag idea. BTW, the only way I can get a case built to airline specs is a size48 frame. So basically the airlines have an impossible sixe requirement.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply