Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best arm band HR monitor?
Quote | Reply
I hate wearing a chest strap, so looking at trying one of these.

I've read through some of DC's reviews, but I'm more interested in real world reviews - ie. reviews/recommendations from people who have owned one for a while now and put a lot of use into it, have teased out the issues, etc. (like smart trainers!)

I currently use a Garmin 920XT, so obviously need it to work with that.
It would be nice if it worked in the pool with my garmin, but not a deal breaker.
Not sure if it matters, but my current trisuit has fairly long sleeves, so not sure if that is an issue? Or can they all typically go on a forearm, and will they stay put?

Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best arm band HR monitor? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Scosche Rhythm+ (not the most current-gen one, the original one.)

I and others have posted a lot about it. It's great.

Best feature: works as well now, 3 years later, as the first day I got it.You will NEVER say the same about Garmin HR straps, which I've burned through a lot.

Worst feature: You have to find the spot that works best for you, and some folks apparently never find that spot. Mine works great on forearm, but only so-so on bicep, and terribly on wrist.

Meh feature: Even though it's optical, it still suffers from that first-mile HR crazy spike for me on cold days. I think there's a discrepancy between the blood going to the skin and the heart as you start working out and the blood starts shunting, but it doesn't happen much in the summer or when I'm warmed up already, but happens a lot if I start from zero on cold days.

Also meh: While there are no battery replacements, I've had to buy a new strap every year ($15). And it's kinda annoying to use on race day if you're really trying to minimize transition time.
Quote Reply
Re: Best arm band HR monitor? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
........And it's kinda annoying to use on race day if you're really trying to minimize transition time.

Thanks for the info.
Re your above comment, does that mean you cannot wear it during the swim, and thus have it all setup and on before the race starts??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
lightheir wrote:
........And it's kinda annoying to use on race day if you're really trying to minimize transition time.

Thanks for the info.
Re your above comment, does that mean you cannot wear it during the swim, and thus have it all setup and on before the race starts??

I don't wear mine for the swim. Too annoying in a full-sleeve wetsuit.

I have, however worn in in non-wetsuit OWS. Not sure how accurate it is in water, but the unit is fully waterproof and you won't break it. The strap also can loosen while swimming, which is really annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Scoshe Rhythm, the wife has a Yahoo Tickr

For running or biking there is no difference between them. We both wear them during the swim in races if we are wearing wetsuits. It there are no wetsuits we both put them on in transition. It doesn't really take that long.

For swim training we use the Garmin Swim HR.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Best arm band HR monitor? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I have a Scoshe Rhythm, the wife has a Yahoo Tickr

For running or biking there is no difference between them. We both wear them during the swim in races if we are wearing wetsuits. It there are no wetsuits we both put them on in transition. It doesn't really take that long.

For swim training we use the Garmin Swim HR.

When wearing your Scoshe under your wetsuit, it doesn't come off your arm when you peel off the wetsuit top?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I roll the sleeve down and off it before I pull it off my arm. The same way I put it on to avoid moving it. The same way I put on a tight fitting sub-layer in the winter without moving it.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Polar OH1+ without issue for almost a year now. I wear it on my bicep. Way more comfortable than a chest strap and being able to recharge it rather than change a battery is also a plus.

I have never used it on my swims, but should probably try that at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a Rhythm+ for a while. Probably from 15 to 20. However last winter I dropped it and one of the side strap holes broke. Tried to gorilla glue it back together, but wouldn't hold.

Never had a problem with it. Accurate, never locked onto cadence, kept it's charge for a few hours of run time. Still works, but I have no way to hold it onto my bicep (I always go lower bicep, never forearm)

In May, I replaced the broken one with a Polar OH1+. It's got the goggle clip and memory onboard so my wife can use it swimming.

It's also been perfectly accurate, hasn't locked onto cadence yet. But the battery seems to be smaller, or more draw, than the scosche. I'm charging it more often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the Scosche Rhythm+, Scosche Rhythm24, and Wahoo TICKR FIT. The TICKR FIT is my daily use now.

The two that are the ultimate best are the Rhythm+ and TICKR FIT. The Rhythm24 is garbage. The only downside to the Rhythm+ is short battery life. The only downside to the TICKR FIT is not as comfortable as the Rhythm+. I currently own a Rhythm24 that I never use; it is my emergency backup.
Quote Reply
Re: Best arm band HR monitor? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you wear the tickr on your forearm?
That and the long battery time are tempting to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I wear the TICKR on my forearm, about an inch below my elbow joint. The battery life is freakin’ forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Best arm band HR monitor? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yes, I wear the TICKR on my forearm, about an inch below my elbow joint. The battery life is freakin’ forever.

Thx. If the Rhythm+ had a longer battery life, would you choose it over the tickr?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Thx. If the Rhythm+ had a longer battery life, would you choose it over the tickr?
Yes. The strap and case material of the Rhythm+ was way more comfortable than the TICKR. Both perform perfectly well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

I've read through some of DC's reviews, but I'm more interested in real world reviews - ie. reviews/recommendations from people who have owned one for a while now and put a lot of use into it, have teased out the issues, etc. (like smart trainers!)

It would be nice if it worked in the pool with my garmin, but not a deal breaker.
Not sure if it matters, but my current trisuit has fairly long sleeves, so not sure if that is an issue? Or can they all typically go on a forearm, and will they stay put?

Thanks!!!

FYI: There are ZERO non-garmin devices that will work IN-THE-POOL with a 920XT. There are some other devices that have internal memory like the HRM-Swim/tri/Pro chest straps....but, NONE of them work with the Ant+ store/forward protocol.

DCR did manage to get a scosche to work with the 920XT a few years ago by placing them next to each other on his wrist...but, they essentially have to be touching for the Ant+ signal to work under water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

Thanks!!!

Wahoo TICKR is my go-to. Wife and I both use it. Can be worn up near the armpit too, with the optical sensor facing the skin on the medial portion of the upper arm, between bicep and tricep.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best arm band HR monitor? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was tempted to try the rhythm, but the tickr looks good too, and ends up it is much easier to get here in Canada. Looks like that will be the one.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use the Mio go I think it was.
I liked those a lot but they would die in about a year.
No longer made.

Recently been using the Scosche Rythym24.
Where the band pin connects to the body the body keeps breaking. It's just weak.. I've gone thru 4 in less than a year. They've replaced them, but what a pain.
The last one crapped out after swimming 200 yards in the ocean. Must have gotten water in from that weak body.

Still looking for a good one.

I do have a Garmin 735xt and wish Garmin would unlock the HRM for swimming.
Quote Reply