Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best all around sub $150 helmet???
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new helmet and I don't really know what to get. My wife will get pissed if I spend over $150 so that's the ceiling (she linked me to a $30 helmet on Amazon. I told her to f off). I'll be using this helmet for my next 70.3 and all of my road riding. I've been looking at the specialized prevail 2 and Oakley aer3 but I'm totally open to suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Best all around sub $150 helmet??? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest an aero helmet for racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerohead. You can Probably find them for around that price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering you are going to use it for road riding and only want one helmet, obviously an aero helmet is out of the question. If you keep your eyes open, on rare occasion you could find a Giro Vanquish on sale on for the $150. That helmet is usable as a daily trainer and its actually pretty aero considering. You will see some Pros wearing it in Kona. Its my training helmet and I use it on hot/humid races when I want a touch more ventilation than what an aero helmet will give me.
Last edited by: BGildenstern: Apr 11, 20 19:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, with your $150 limit and use both as racing and training helmet, you want one of the aero road helmets.

The two you mention aren't particularly aero, even for road helmets.

I'd like for closeouts on older models.

Like this Smith Overtake

Or Giro Synthe.

Not the most aero helmet, but at least make the attempt. And will be just fine for training.

If you can find an older one at the right price, the Specialized Evade is great.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 11, 20 21:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHY are you in the market for a new helmet? What makes your current helmet unusable? Maybe keep it for most of your riding, and get an inexpensive aero helmet for races. And if you really are totally open to suggestions, here's a suggestion from an old man: Get the $30 helmet on Amazon. Maybe later spend $119 or less for a racing helmet. Or maybe not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend an aero-ish road helmet that is still suitable for everyday rides, climbs, etc. Something like the Giro Synthe or the Specialized Airnet. Later on, get a true aero lid for races (I got my Aerohead for $125 on sale).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got the Bontrager WaveCel XXX but the Specter is priced right at your limit and is good for the noggin’. I toasted my XXX in a crash with a pickup truck last November and my head came out unscathed, minus a weird bruise on my forehead (the back of my head is what hit the ground).

https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/...-helmet-ratings.html

Brett Z

“Livin’ in a van down by the river”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I bought the Catlike Vento helmet. IMO it's got all the qualities: Light, great ventilation, comfortable, sligthly aero.
Since Catlike went out of business recently, maybe there are some good to deals to be made.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply