Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Xlab Aero Bar Hydration Solution
Quote | Reply
First time poster!

Need to buy a new aero bar/front hydration setup. (Included a pic of current set-up)

Any of you use the Hydro blade or Torpedo aero bar solutions?

Pros/Cons I should be aware of?

Of the two options which is the best?

I was leaning towards blade as it offered 28oz vs the torpedo's 26.

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by: SportyMom512: Mar 25, 18 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Best Xlab Aero Bar Hydration Solution [SportyMom512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the Versa 500 and absolutely loved it. One of the things that made it great was the computer mount out in front. It was a breeze to refill. I got an integrated cockpit with its own bridge plate that made the Versa 500 incompatible with my bike. I still use the Torpedo bottle and cage with my current setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry no success attaching pic
Quote Reply
Re: Best Xlab Aero Bar Hydration Solution [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for reply ...was the valve easy to clean and reach/length was ok? Hard to.tell if it's adjustable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never cleaned the valve... maybe I should. I just ran water through mine. The hose length is good. The mount has a lot of flexibility to position the bottle so the distance from bottle to mouth is ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Xlab Aero Bar Hydration Solution [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the feedback ...think I will place my order for torpedo and give up 2 oz ...since I ride in the country and half the time by myself ..2oz feels/looks more like a gallon lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Torpedo bottle for years and have since gone to the Vision DS1. I'm not sure of the mount but sure it does just as good of a job as as the X-lab but the bottle is so much better to fill, drink from and less spillage than the Torpedo.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Xlab Aero Bar Hydration Solution [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I used the Torpedo bottle for years and have since gone to the Vision DS1. I'm not sure of the mount but sure it does just as good of a job as as the X-lab but the bottle is so much better to fill, drink from and less spillage than the Torpedo.

@shambolic -- wow first I've heard of that brand and option ...going to check out.

Thanks for chiming in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SportyMom512 wrote:
First time poster!

Need to buy a new aero bar/front hydration setup. (Included a pic of current set-up)

Any of you use the Hydro blade or Torpedo aero bar solutions?

Pros/Cons I should be aware of?

Of the two options which is the best?

I was leaning towards blade as it offered 28oz vs the torpedo's 26.

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure how races work in your area, in Australia at the bike aid stations you get your bidon, but have only got 200m or so to squeeze the liquid into your bottle. If you go past the 200m you can't thrown the bidon so have to keep it and I can't refill my torpedo in the small amount of time without slowing. You also have to be up on the hoods. So no I just use a normal bidon with cage zip-tied to bars and it works great.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Xlab Aero Bar Hydration Solution [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@zedzded

That is helpful information. The ease and time to refill is very important.

Some of the easier ones to refill (like profile and the one I have presently)
also have spill issues so I narrowed my search down to these two.

I plan on ordering the torpedo (at least I will get a different look) and
if it does not work I will move it to my other bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the Torpedo valve to take too much bite force to open, and to be too restrictive even when it was open. I cut it off, and drilled a small hole in the little plug that goes in the unused straw hole (there are two holes to choose from, depending where you want the straw positioned). Flow was improved about a billion percent.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Best Xlab Aero Bar Hydration Solution [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I found the Torpedo valve to take too much bite force to open, and to be too restrictive even when it was open. I cut it off, and drilled a small hole in the little plug that goes in the unused straw hole (there are two holes to choose from, depending where you want the straw positioned). Flow was improved about a billion percent.

Aw sugar balls! I placed my order for the toredo already. I will check the valve right away for this. Appreciate that tip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SportyMom512 wrote:
gary p wrote:

Aw sugar balls! I placed my order for the toredo already. I will check the valve right away for this. Appreciate that tip.

A point worth mentioning is that I do Sprints, so I'm trying to hydrate without braking form at ~105% of FTP. Maybe it would be a little less of an issue at IM/HIM effort.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply