Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Trainer Program for Building FTP
Quote | Reply
For medical reasons, my season is now over, but I can still put in an hour on the bike 3 times per week. Can't put in more than an hour at a time. I've been using Trainerroad's legacy program, and it's ok, but looking to switch things up after a long winter spent repeatedly doing the same or similar rides as part of TR's full distance training plan.

Any recommendations for the best program to raise FTP? Particularly with my time constraints?

I have a Powerbeam Pro ANT+, and run it through a MacBook, so I'm limited on programs I can currently use (e.g., Sufferfest doesn't work with older Powerbeam Pros), but depending on recommendations, it may be worth going through the hassle of selling my current trainer and upgrading to a newer one that works with everything. Along those lines, anyone love or hate the CycleOps Magnus?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Trainer Program for Building FTP [NOLAgrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the injury!

What do you mean by "legacy" version of TR? Old computer?

When I got bored with TR workouts, I noticed that changing my "TR Plan" would totally change/mix up the variety. I had a lot of fun exploring the more cycling focused things and even the sprint workouts after getting burned out on the 70.3 focused ones. If you haven't explored the others already, definately give that a shot.

Though, if you are not quite in the "training" mindset, I found Zwift fun too and have been going back and for between both options. You don't need a smart trainer to have fun w/ zwift either.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Trainer Program for Building FTP [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR has a "legacy" mode that you have to use when running it through a Mac (or maybe it's to run it on the PB Pro... can't remember). I think it still has access to all the same plans and workouts, it just has an older interface.

I've tried some of the other plans, including some traditional road bike options, but haven't seen anything that's specifically designed for raising FTP. Maybe I just need to look harder.

I tried Zwift a while back, and it's good for breaking up the monotony, but would rather put my precious few hours into driving up my power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so confused, TR's whole purpose is about raising your FTP :-P! They sort of talk about that all the time in their podcast. Maybe try the crit-focused plan?

I just remembered too what you mean about the legacy interface. When I re-installed MAC OS on my old laptop, it was like that until I upgraded to the most current Apple OS/updates. You might have too old a computer or be way outdated on the version of Mac OS.
Last edited by: daswafford: May 23, 18 17:44
Quote Reply
Re: Best Trainer Program for Building FTP [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is and they talk about how different people respond better/differently to different types of workouts. Some use sweetspot a ton and respond great to that. Others respond better to some of their vo2 max and other interval type stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Trainer Program for Building FTP [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a combination of TR, Sufferfest and Zwift depending on my mood and what i want from a ride that day.

I can't fault any of them for doing what they say on the tin: TR makes you a faster cyclist. Sufferfest beats the crap out of you- and you love it, and Zwift is fun to race against others and for longer rides.

TR has just updated their program with really good analytics so it's worth a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There seems to be a prevailing implication that Zwift is a bit of fun but not really a training tool. I think people are using it wrong. Zwift is just a place, and in that place you can do whatever you like.

But more specifically, I believe you can make really good FTP gains by racing hard in some of the 45 - 60 minute Zwift races, in the appropriate category, which are basically very hard threshold or close to threshold workouts with VO2 intervals, if done properly.
Last edited by: knighty76: May 24, 18 0:43
Quote Reply
Re: Best Trainer Program for Building FTP [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally do longer, sustained power work on TrainerRoad, but followed their General Build plan during the off-season. It mixed it up enough for me to make it fresh and interesting - which resulted in a decent FTP increase.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can definitely raise your FTP on TR I have been using it about 5 months and have gone about an average of 15 watts per month (I used the base program for the half Ironman mid volume). I was starting from pretty much nothing but still...stick with it and work hard increase the difficulty on days you feel good and if you really feel bad decrease it but stick with it and you will definitely see an increase. Of course I don't expect my FTP to continue to go up 12-15 watts per month on average for the next year but still you can certainly improve.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOLAgrouper wrote:
...I tried Zwift a while back, and it's good for breaking up the monotony, but would rather put my precious few hours into driving up my power.
You can use Zwift just as effectively for this as TR or Sufferfest or..... It's just a matter of preference on the stimulus/interface, etc....
Quote Reply
Re: Best Trainer Program for Building FTP [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
There seems to be a prevailing implication that Zwift is a bit of fun but not really a training tool. I think people are using it wrong. Zwift is just a place, and in that place you can do whatever you like.

But more specifically, I believe you can make really good FTP gains by racing hard in some of the 45 - 60 minute Zwift races, in the appropriate category, which are basically very hard threshold or close to threshold workouts with VO2 intervals, if done properly.

I think it's more the case that Zwift is about replicating the outdoor experience indoors. Like riding outdoors you can do whatever you want - you can just go for a ride, you can join a race, or you can do structured intervals. So there are people using Zwift in combination with a structured training plan, but there are a lot more people just using it to ride with no particular plan or goals beyond getting in an easy, medium or hard workout.

Whereas TR is 100% about structured intervals, there's really not much point signing up for it if you don't want to follow one of their plans or at least pick and choose workouts with a specific goal in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 to 4 min intervals going up the hill on Zwift, 9 to 11 min intervals going up the volcano climb, box hill, fox hill, 30 min going up the epic climb and 60 min+ going up the Alp doesn't do anything for you?

I know it's not for everyone and maybe you don't like it but I use those climbs all of the time as well as doing zone 5 intervals around the volcano. This is probably one of my best spring seasons in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Trainer Program for Building FTP [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree with this. I used TR for the last 3 years recently switching to Zwift. My only complaint with Zwift is they do a poor job of having workouts available. The Tuesday night Slowtwitch ride is awesome and I don't miss it but I wish workouts completed were saved somewhere. Zwifts big thing is racing and not everybody wants to race when doing a workout. I just wish there was a pull down menu with better or more workouts than what they have. This is where TR is the champion. It's structured. That said I cancelled TR and use Zwift with a dumb trainer. Definitely getting stronger and enjoying the trainer a LOT more.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you just want to raise FTP, based on listening to the podcast they will recommend following this progression:

Sweet Spot Base 1 & 2, then sustained power build, then 40kTT Specialty plan, then repeat.
Quote Reply