Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Texas town for triathletes
Quote | Reply
I've been googling around and can't seem to get a good answer to this question. I know there's a decent collection of Texas guys and girls on this forum, so I would appreciate any guidance here.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year, I retired to north Texas, Frisco, to be exact. I swim on a masters swim team in Frisco (Texas Ford Aquatics). Plenty of lakes (Lewisville et al) in the area for excellent OWS opportunities.

Although there are no or very few dedicated bike lanes in the area, I was pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of motorists give cyclists a wide berth. You’re always gonna run into buttheads no matter where you are. You can actually ride on a road with excellent bike signage from Frisco almost into downtown Dallas.

I don’t run much anymore but I know from talking to other triathletes there are numerous run opportunities, both on road and trail. An active tri community exists here.

These were not the main reasons I moved to Frisco, but they certainly made the choice an easy one for me. Good luck in your search and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texan here... are you looking for a place to relocate to? that has a bearing on things much more than simply "tri friendly".

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is curious about texas weather, she's a little tired of this winter in Colorado. Nothing definitive, but just kicking the tires to see what's out there. We both work remotely, so we have a fair amount of flexibility.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biking is definitively what I'm so interested to find out because there just isn't a lot of info. There's tons of bike trails, but those typically are more for hybrids/beach cruisers than being down in the aerobars. I know coming from Boulder county it'll be tough to beat, but just curious if there's something even remotely close.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look at the austin area. hill country has some of the best terrain in the state. if i could pick up and move anywhere, id be going to the hill country.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's that kind of like canyon lake area or is it more the lago vista part?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very true regarding trails here as well On any given Saturday or Sunday morning, there are several small pelotons riding on the roads. Frisco is about 20 miles north of Dallas with a road that you can ride nearly into downtown Dallas. Many other roads albeit flat or slightly undulating exist with good signage. Remember, this is the southern Plains so virtually pancake flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with Damon on Austin and the Hill Country area if biking is that important for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you specify what towns fall into the hill country areas?

Team Zoot 2023
Last edited by: aerobean: Mar 26, 21 20:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
My wife is curious about texas weather, she's a little tired of this winter in Colorado. Nothing definitive, but just kicking the tires to see what's out there. We both work remotely, so we have a fair amount of flexibility.
We kicked the tires all over the country for almost 2 years before accidentally becoming full-timers in an RV we now love. It's only become easier in 2020-21 with everything becoming more remote-work/living friendly.
Our RV

You'd have to double my salary to get me to not live RV life and settle down somewhere, even somewhere where optimal training is easily found.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
aerobean wrote:
We kicked the tires all over the country for almost 2 years before accidentally becoming full-timers in an RV we now love. It's only become easier in 2020-21 with everything becoming more remote-work/living friendly.
Our RV

You'd have to double my salary to get me to not live RV life and settle down somewhere, even somewhere where optimal training is easily found.

There definetly is a romanticism to life on the road, but we just had our first child in December and we do want to provide him with some stability.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably tough to beat the Woodlands

Hill country? Maybe Bastrop

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, it's been quite an adventure so far.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Probably tough to beat the Woodlands

Hill country? Maybe Bastrop
the woodlands does have a big tri community, but outside that i personally wouldnt move there. climate sucks and its too crowded.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
climate sucks....

That's how I feel about nearly all of Texas. Alpine TX would be my pick if I had to live there.

aerobean wrote:

If you want it warm/hot, but not humid and muggy, look at El Paso TX and Las Cruces NM. Maybe Albuquerque for a cooler climate.

Where in CO?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
climate sucks....

That's how I feel about nearly all of Texas.

i would say the hill country, only issue there is it can get hot in the summer, but the humidity is pretty dang low. nothing like the 100 degrees and 100% humidity of the houston area.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I posted on another thread last summer:

--
I currently live in San Antonio, grew up in Dallas, have family in Austin, and visit Houston as infrequently as possible.

IMO, San Antonio is one of the best places I've ever lived in or visited for training.

POSITIVES

• Low cost of living
  • Winter doesn't really exist. October through April is pretty ideal for training. Most days have highs in the 60's or 70's during that time and there is a lot of sun.
  • Good pool systems. They've hosted USMS Long Course Nationals at the pool 3 miles from my house and were set to host SC Nationals before it got cancelled this spring.
  • Also a good Masters program (MOST) that has a great coach and some solid endurance workouts.
  • Great Riding. From the North side of town, you can be out in the hill country riding within 10-20 minutes. Rolling hills, much like IM Wisconsin course. You can also go West and ride mostly dead flat if you want some wind and time trial.
  • Big network of paved greenways for running. It is concrete but at least no cars.
  • All of these greenways also have lots of mountain bike trails alongside them.
  • From my house, I can drive downtown hanging out on the riverwalk in 20 minutes. I can ride a protected path and be on mountain bike trails in 5 minutes. Or I can take the road/TT bike and be outside city limits in 15 minutes.

NEGATIVES

• Not a big "elite" presence of athletes. There are training groups and some teams but primarily recreational athletes.
  • Same goes for "elite" type services. There are some good bike shops but it definitely isn't a Boulder.
  • The summer is hot. Much like everywhere in the South. Not as bad as Arizona though.
  • City is growing and so traffic is getting worse. Still nothing compared to Houston or Dallas but we are seeing more cars out in the common riding areas.
  • We do have chipseal (28's at 60 psi will fix this)

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Houston lived in Northwest Austin for 10 years and now live in Dallas.

Northwest Austin hands down. Plenty of pools Lake Travis for ows, good to great riding out of you front door, and same for running.

If you work from home it is a good choice. Specifically I lived in Cedar Park FYI.

Dallas is like Houston in my opinion where the roads are not set up for cycling and in general is not an active outdoors scene. However I love living here as the neighbors and Church community we have is amazing.

I would move to a place where you have great neighbors and community as that makes all the difference.

Everywhere is hot. Yes austin and Dallas will have less humidity than Houston but it is still high humidity compared to CO. Early morning training anywhere in the major cities during the summer will require sweat.

Feel free to dm me if you want to talk live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I moved from Texas 5 years ago and things might’ve changed, I always considered Double Oak, TX (northern part of Flower Mound, TX) to be the best. From my doorstep, I was on country roads and quickly west of the I35W (near Texas Motor Speedway). There were plenty of safe empty roads through Argyle and other places to the west.

From Double Oak, though, you’re a couple miles from major shopping and restaurants and near DFW airport.

The lakes are nearby for OWS (Lewisville / Grapevine).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 You could try finding out how many tri races in a “normal” year are in the areas of TX you are interest in. Used to live there (Parker, Hood, Erath County area), and now we are in the process of moving back after less than 2 years. It’s such a big place with such diverse topography and each region has its own “feel” which is why the answers to your questions are all over the place. The “hill country” may be visually appealing to you as you’re from CO. But it’s not the only part of the state to consider, as there are other pockets of the state that have enough short steep hills to keep your climbing legs happy. If you get into suburban or rural- ish areas, make sure you understand that “down the road” in Texas could be 60+ miles away :)

And Alpine is really, really remote...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
The summer is hot. Much like everywhere in the South. Not as bad as Arizona though.

Not everywhere in the "south" is hot. Just go to higher elevation. The mildest year round climate in the US outside of coastal S CA is the higher elevation (5-7k ft) parts of southern TX, NM, and AZ. Sunniest in winter as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Texas town for triathletes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone for their responses, there is some great information here that I'll have to do more research about.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for mountain biking trails specifically, I live in the Bee Cave/ Lakeway area and there are a lot of them around here. Some are frickin' insane around Mt Lakeway. I don't bike on them myself but rather run in the area. We're also not far from several parks along Lake Travis that have more trails (including Pace Bend where Odyssey SwimRun Austin takes place). I don't really bike on the roads, but many do. Several options for master's swimming as well as independent swimming at franchise gyms like Lifetime and the YMCA, plus unique public pools like Deep Eddy and Barton Springs. Several tri groups/teams in the area as well.

The number of tri races in Austin has decreased over the last couple of years, but we're a close enough drive (less than a half day) to San Antonio, Houston, Waco, or Dallas, so your options are many without having to ship a bike to a race.

Downside is the heat during the summer is inescapable. It can be upper 80's before dawn, but on the flip side we only have flashes of winter sprinkled into nice weather from October through April.

-----
Quote Reply

Prev Next