Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Shimano derailleur for 1x
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I’m converting my 2x Ventum to 1x.

Chanring is a 58t Arc one.

Preferred cassete is 11-32, 11-36,11-40 depending on the course. I’ve read I could use a long cage derraileur but I guess that makes the drivetrain unefficient.

Atm, I’m using a wolftooth hanger with a DI2 9070 RS. It works but sometimes it feels odd.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [Stefano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd get an XTR RD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the new Rx805.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ultegra RX should be available soon
Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sooners175 wrote:
ultegra RX should be available soon

Been out a month now. Just a pain to find
Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I'd get an XTR RD.
Yup, XTR or XT is the only way to go if you want electronic shifting. I think both work with road or TT shifters, but I'm not certain. OP: you should clarify if you're looking for 1x Di2 or mechanical. Road 1x Di2 isn't technically offered by Shimano at this point.
Last edited by: hiro11: Jul 19, 18 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RX is available as Di2 or mechanical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both. I've had mine a few weeks now I got the di2 which is the RX 805. I submitted an article to Dan about it he hasn't posted it yet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
notice more strain on the battery? that's the claim. its probably overkill for me but would be nice peace of mind, and I'm a gear nerd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sooners175 wrote:
Oh. Didn't know that. There's your answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing noticeable yet but I've only had it a few weeks and then I got sick and I've been off the bike about a week so hard to say
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sooners175 wrote:

Sorry first time I read your post I misread thought it was a question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RX805 only specs a max cog of 34T though. I think if he wants to do 40 he needs to XT/XTR.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is correct
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a Tri bike, I would avoid all the Shimano clutch derailleurs. (1) The clutch provides zero benefit for a non-gravel, non-MTB bike, and (2) the clutch introduces a few watts of drag to the drive train.

I would go with a long-cage (non-clutch) Ultegra Di2 or Dura Ace Di2 rear derailleur. They shift as fast as you want to program them to shift -- and they shift flawlessly. They probably won't get you all the way to 11-40T cassettes, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The loss of Watts due to drag is primarily seen in the mechanical version of the RX Shimano derailleur. And I've tested that on my trainer with a power meter. there is little to no difference with the di2 version of the RX 805 when it comes to a loss of power due to the clutch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
The loss of Watts due to drag is primarily seen in the mechanical version of the RX Shimano derailleur. And I've tested that on my trainer with a power meter. there is little to no difference with the di2 version of the RX 805 when it comes to a loss of power due to the clutch.

I respectfully disagree. I ran XTR Di2 rear derailleurs for two years on my gravel racing bike. The drag is annoyingly ever-present with these derailleurs. It's not a HUGE number, but it's there. The drag eventually drove me to use a non-clutch derailleur even on my gravel bike. (I still never threw a chain.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm unfamiliar with that rear derailleur so I cannot agree or disagree with you but I will take your word for it. The only thing I can say is I have the RX 805 in the di2 and I've tested it and there was nothing that didn't fall within normal watt variation from one ride to the Next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Wouldn't you need 2 power meters for this?

Quote Reply
Re: Best Shimano derailleur for 1x [P McCatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the test one derailleur no you would not. the other nice feature of the RX rear derailleur is it has an on-off switch so you can in fact turn off the clutch if you're concerned about that very thing. I tested it with the clutch on and with the clutch turned off both sets of numbers fell within range of what the same bike tested with a 9070 rear derailleur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
The drag is annoyingly ever-present with these derailleurs.

I'm not in the know on this stuff, but I thought you could turn the clutch off? I installed XT 1x on my old MTB last year and I think it has a switch for the clutch. Also, how about a chain keeper on the front ring? I mangled an old front derailleur for that purpose, but there are more elegant solutions.
Quote Reply