Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Rides and Climbs in CA?
Quote | Reply
I am going to be taking a four month sabbatical this summer and I will be in CA between mid-August and mid-September and wanted to do some iconic rides and climbs. I will have an OPEN with a 700c wheelset set up for road and a 650b wheelset for gravel, so I am open to multi-terrain. I'll climb anything, but looking for rides in the 30-70 mile range.

These are some of the ideas I have so far:

Onion Valley Road and/or Horseshoe Meadows in the Owens Valley

Gibraltar Road climb, looking for suggestions on where to park a car and how to make good ride out of this climb.

Mt. Figueroa, looking for suggestions in Solvang area. Would be fun to hit a few wineries along the way.

Mt. Diablo, looking for suggestions on which route, where to park, how to make a nice ride out of this.

Mt. Tamalpais

Any additional suggestions or comments on the rides I am already looking at would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get down in the LA area, I'd highly recommend any or all of Hwy 39/GMR/Mt Baldy (all connected), about 25 miles east of downtown LA...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make plenty of time for Owens Valley, as you also have Whitney Portal and White Mountain right there as well as several other climbs. If you hit a cold spell in September, head over to Death Valley as there are a number of good climbs there (Townes Pass, Dante’s View) that would be awesome if the temps are right.

Glacier Point is a classic in Yosemite. Though not a huge climb, it’s a good ride out and back.

Check out https://pjammcycling.com/, they are a great resource for finding climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm out of town or I'd try to give you more help. Hopefully you'll get some more info from locals because there are a lot more great routes in CA than the ones you're listing. I'm from the SF bay area and could give you numerous awesome routes here, but I'm not quite sure your preferences/fitness etc. Since you listed Mt Tam and Mt Diablo, here are two places to start:

1) Awesome route starting from SF end of GG through Marin and climbing Mt Tam: https://www.strava.com/routes/16327487 The small (1 block) detour in Stinson beach is to a good bakery for a snack. There's also a short out and back to the west peak summit of Mt Tam that I wouldn't skip. Some dirt fire road near the start, but I do this on a road bike with road racing tires.

2) If you do Diablo you should do the Morgan Territory loop. Climb Diablo and then loop back around to Morgan Territory road. There's some "junk miles" in there but both Diablo and Morgan Territory are really nice. I'm in a rush and couldn't find a good map of the full route, but here's a strava link that leaves out the Diablo summit (but you should definitely put that in!): https://www.strava.com/...y/cycling/routes/200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like climbing, Mt. Hamilton is truly a must do. It is the longest climb in the Bay Area at 18 miles 4.2K.

https://www.strava.com/...y/cycling/routes/217

Another good route is Pescadero Loop on Strava.

I much prefer riding in the South Bay / Peninsula to East Bay as I think the roads are better and less car traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of great routes in the Santa Cruz mountains. Big Basin Way through the state park is amazing and the descent down Bear Creek Rd (I think that is where I was) was one of the most enjoyable descents I have ridden. Super twisty roads in great condition. Maybe grab a copy of 75 Classic Rides Northern California for more ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Palomar in San Diego and Baldy near LA, as someone else mentioned, should be on your list. Both have been Tour of California stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly OT, but what 700c wheels and tires are you using for road rides? Any comparison on how the UP climbs, descends, handles, sprints compared to any road bikes you have/had?

I am in the market for a new bike and was have been on the fence about going with this (or the Exploro) versus a traditional road bike. I’ve had an R3 in the past and loved the way it handled, climbed, accelerated. But I’d like more clearance for you rides that continue when the pavement ends.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mt Baldy, hands down. Sufferfest, and in the summer heat, it's even harder.

All along the Santa Monica Mountains in the LA area are great too.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the fascination with Morgan Territory personally.. the road is super bad.. Heading towards livermore is ok because you are climbing, but if you were to turn around and descend it... good luck to you.

As far as Mt Diablo goes.. you can park at the Athenian school and head up Scenic to Southgate to the junction..summit.. I'm not a big fan of northgate..especially descending it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mt Baldy, Crystal Lake, Angeles Crest Highway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost everything is covered in this fantastic blog - http://www.toughascent.com/blog/

Sadly, it seems to be dormant, but it has almost everything you'd ever want to climb for Strava PRs.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White Mountain out of Bishop. 20 miles, 6000 feet of gain https://www.strava.com/...segments/16374161331

Fish Rock race route is epic. So are any of the Grasshopper routes.

If you come thru Napa hit me up and I’ll show you around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
I am going to be taking a four month sabbatical this summer and I will be in CA between mid-August and mid-September and wanted to do some iconic rides and climbs. I will have an OPEN with a 700c wheelset set up for road and a 650b wheelset for gravel, so I am open to multi-terrain. I'll climb anything, but looking for rides in the 30-70 mile range.

Gibraltar Road climb, looking for suggestions on where to park a car and how to make good ride out of this climb.

Here you go...since you're bringing a gravel bike, I added an additional loop down Angostura Rd ("dirt Gibraltar") to Gibraltar Dam, along the Santa Ynez river to Paradise road, then a dirt road road climb back up Arroyo Burro road, then back along Camino Cielo and descending Gib back to your start. I put the start/end point at Rocky Nook Park, but you could also park at the Mission as well...

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2575234285

Since you'll be doing this in Aug/Sept, make sure to take plenty of water if you do that backcountry loop. There is water at the Lower Oso picnic area along Paradise Rd, but that's a short bit beyond the turnoff to go up Arroyo Burro. A camelbak might not be a bad idea...

Or, you can use that same route just to go up and down Gib (paved frontside). If you do that, I'd suggest going beyond the intersection of Camino Cielo and Gibraltar Rd (where the TOC stage ends) and continuing the short bit all the way up to La Cumbre peak before turning around.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 30, 19 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a 7000 ft climb?
Can't find it using my phone, but Highway 39 from Azusa up to Crystal Lake, continue through the closed to cars section to Highway 2, turn right up to the saddle who's name I forget
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just have Zipp 30 course 700c wheels, that I bought with intent of gravel use. I have only done one ride on the OPEN with road tires, handling doesn't seem any different from a road bike. The OPEN is my dedicated gravel bike (I have 3 other road bikes), but I will be using it for road for this trip because I only want to bring one bike and still have options to do some unpaved stuff.

I have actually been thinking about getting a nice light road wheelset for the open, because it is actually lighter than my other road bikes and with the gravel gearing it would be my best bet as a dedicated hill climb bike.

So, my vote is for the OPEN if you want versatility. It is a gravel beast, but does everything well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Here you go...since you're bringing a gravel bike, I added an additional loop down Angostura Rd ("dirt Gibraltar") to Gibraltar Dam, along the Santa Ynez river to Paradise road, then a dirt road road climb back up Arroyo Burro road, then back along Camino Cielo and descending Gib back to your start. I put the start/end point at Rocky Nook Park, but you could also park at the Mission as well...

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2575234285[/quote]
This looks like a beast of a ride, I love it.

How gravelly, what tires would your run? I have 42mm WTB Resolutes tubeless on my 650B wheels which are awesome, but I have several options for the 700cc wheels (Zipp 30 course, not set up not tubeless), so I switch out tires as needed. Am going with a 27mm GP5000 as my road setup for this trip which I am not afraid to run on easy gravel, but have other gravel options (base gravel set up on these are challenge gravel race 38mm) that I may bring. I tried to 36mm gravel race pros, but they are too hard to mount and per one of your posts they seem to be a wash with the 38mm anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:

This looks like a beast of a ride, I love it.

How gravelly, what tires would your run? I have 42mm WTB Resolutes tubeless on my 650B wheels which are awesome, but I have several options for the 700cc wheels (Zipp 30 course, not set up not tubeless), so I switch out tires as needed. Am going with a 27mm GP5000 as my road setup for this trip which I am not afraid to run on easy gravel, but have other gravel options (base gravel set up on these are challenge gravel race 38mm) that I may bring. I tried to 36mm gravel race pros, but they are too hard to mount and per one of your posts they seem to be a wash with the 38mm anyway.

Yeah...it's somewhat of a beast, but well worth it :-)

Run the Resolutes on the 650Bs if you're doing the drop down to the dam and along the river...otherwise, the GP5Ks if you're just going up and down Gib/La Cumbre since it's completely paved.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can weigh in on this one as Exploro and Open are both in stable. Both are 1x with Di2 & XTR RD.

Exploro: rides very similar to a road race bike. Crisp handling, climbs & descends well. Slightly heavier and more harsh ride than Open.

Open UPPER: turned this into dedicated gravel rig with smaller front ring and gravel bars for control in dirt. Super smooth ride, more like the comfort of an endurance frame. Climbs & descend well-I've done huge road days in the mountains on it. In gravel it has more clearance for big tires--I've fit a 42mm on 23mm internal 700c rim with sufficient clearance.

If I had to pick one it'd be the Open. The little bit you give up in handling crispness is made up in greater versatility.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 1, 19 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised no one has mentioned Big Pines Hwy. You can make it a nice 20 mile climb starting at the 138, so goes from 3k to 8k ft. It was the mountain top finish of the TOC one year, and also the KOM another year. Great roads and not much traffic in summer. Its the backside of the Baldy climb basically, so you could do a nice double...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a good ride for West Marin and Mt Tam.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36655176

Contact me direct if you want to ride or need more loops or info.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
All along the Santa Monica Mountains in the LA area are great too.

I will be in Santa Monica next month, looking to rent a bike and get a 2 hour +/- ride in. Any favorite routes you could suggest. I'm staying somewhat near the pier.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best climbs
-Latigo (by far)
-Mulholland
-Piuma
-Encinal
-Yerba Buena
-Stunt

Study a map well as these all intersect in weird ways up in the mountains and it's easy to make a wrong turn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been out the Bay Area a few times to ride.

The following is a good general resource for california (Jay’s Essential Rides):

http://bestrides.org/

I did Mt Tamalpais a couple years ago. I started in Fairfax (easy parking), did the climb to Alpine Lake and continued up Tamalpais. Then down to Stinson beach and then back over the ridge to Alpine Lake and back to fairfax. Could have made it epic by continuing up the coast to Point Reyes. The ride back over the ridge on the way back may have been one of my favorite stretches ever. I was riding alone, saw only one car, it was pretty much a 1.5 lane rd through old growth trees with deer and wildlife.

I’ve done Diablo a few times from both North and South Gate. If doing North Gate you can park on side streets and climb from just outside the park. South Gate I parked at a school on the beginning route to the climb. Both are nice and the fun doesn’t really start until you’re past the junction and the rangers station. Lots of traffic and cyclists so my recommendation is to start early. Saw a guy running up the mountain this year. Always a fun ride.

This year I did a ride starting in Lafayette that went up Pinehurst Rd to Skyline Drive. Not the toughest climb but you get to ride on the top of the ridge overlooking the Bay and San Francisco. Really scenic ride.

All of these rides are found in Jay’s Essential Rides.

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rides and Climbs in CA? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
How about a 7000 ft climb?
Can't find it using my phone, but Highway 39 from Azusa up to Crystal Lake, continue through the closed to cars section to Highway 2, turn right up to the saddle who's name I forget

Here's the one I was talking about. Claims to be most elevation climb in continental US.
33 mile; avg 4%, 7152 ft of climbing.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1638547
Quote Reply

Prev Next