Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best IM for families
Quote | Reply
I’m sure it’s been done but type IM into the slowtwitch search engine and you basically get every thread ever made.

So anyway, what’s the best IM for families? Just best venues, what was good about it, what could be better, quality and price of lodging. That kind of stuff.

Family of 4, me, wifey, 2 11 year old girls.

We’re on the east coast and would like to drive but give any and all opinions anyway as I already have a short list but don’t want it to effect what people say.

Feel free to say more than one suggestion.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whistler and Mont-Tremblant. I've been to about a bunch of IM venues and there isn't another North American IM that holds a candle to those two as far as family oriented things to do.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 10, 19 4:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming from the East Coast, anywhere that you can drive. I still think Lake Placid is the best. IMMT is a fine choice, but, to me, it just felt very congested....and you have to make sure everyone has valid passports. IMLP has history, a great town, the lake is great for kids, there's hiking, lots of hotels and vaca rentals. BUT, it is expensive.

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tremblant, no question!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lanzarote
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tremblant, hands down. Horseback riding, Via Ferrata, hiking, the village itself... find a VRBO and stay in one of the places near the village but out of the zoo!
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess the rest of your family dont give 2 shits about the actual race (other than hoping you do well ofcourse), so i think it is very little about the actual venue/race but more about its location. Depending on your goal with it/budget etc. i bet many families make a vacation out of it and thus chooses one where the area is amazing. Warm weather race when it is cold at home etc. it could be some stunning nature you want to experience after the race etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy - Mont Tremblant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like consensus is MT, and I have not been there, but there is a ton of kid friendly activities right near the race site for IMCHOO. What is there is probably more appealing to younger kids, sub-10ish.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
Tremblant, no question!

I love Tremblant but it sort of depends what your family likes to do.

I know my family much preferred the beach in Panama City. We rented a boat and snorkeled and followed dolphins around St. Andrew's Bay and my son loved all the little arcade/putt putt/amusement parks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well east coast from top to bottom is quite a long distance. I'll put my 2 cents in for IM Chattanooga. If you stay downtown, you can walk to everything, transition, restaurants, etc. Downtown has a climbing wall, zoo, aquarium, museum. The run is two loops and family can see you on run over the pedestrian bridge. or you can stay outside of downtown and there are plenty of places to hike and lots of parks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

Panama City.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Thom wrote:

Panama City.

x2.

If I did another one that is where I would go. GF could sit on the beach all day while I was on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Lake Placid. Yes, its a tad expensive, but you can save a little on hotel costs if you arrive 2 days early, opposed to 4. After the race, the hotel prices drop (just check and ensure they do). The race swim area has a little beach where your kids can hang out in as well. Post race my family went tubing on Lake Placid and it was very fun. We found a place up in AuSable to jump off the cliff/rocks (forgot name of sink). Good food, restraunts and can walk to everything surrounding the race. Your family will be able to see you on race day plenty of times.

tom
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Thom wrote:

Panama City.

x2.

X3

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for them to be able to spectate? Given the set up of IMAZ 70.3 it's perfect for that. In regards to things for them to do...there's a whole of whoonya around here. But I wouldn't drive here from the East Coast .

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been to Placid x1, Chattanooga x2. Both have plenty to do for families. Placid: in the middle of a state park, tons of outdoor activities, small town feel, not close to anything so think really expensive camping. Great time. Chattanooga: city setting, if you stay near race venue, you don't need your car and walk to everything. Car needed to get out to hiking, other activities. Other sites (MT, PB) seem to have their own unique characteristics (beach, Canada) and probably can't go wrong there either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 70.3!
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Thom wrote:

Panama City.

x2.

X3

I’ve done IMFL twice. PCB sucks donkey ass compared to Whistler or Mont Tremblant. Yes, there’s the Gulf/beach but if it’s cold there goes the one and only advantage. One of the years I did it the weather was cold. Nobody was on the beach.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I’ve done IMFL twice. PCB sucks donkey ass compared to Whistler or Mont Tremblant. Yes, there’s the Gulf/beach but if it’s cold there goes the one and only advantage. One of the years I did it the weather was cold. Nobody was on the beach.

I've done Florida and Mont Tremblant. I've done Florida 4 times and had good beach weather every time. I preferred MT too but if I asked my family, they would without exception choose Panama City. Like I said, it depends on what they like to do. My family would much rather snorkel and hang out at the beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did Whistler (Canada) in 2018 -- I did the 70.3, same day as full Ironman -- and it's great place for activities for the active family. Easy bike riding trails, zip lines, razor rides through the mountains. There is stunning scenery at every turn (sorry, Panama City) plus great food and beer. The weather is usually pristine. We flew to Vancouver and then drove; one of the best drives in North America.

Probably more expensive than many places (we splurged on a nice hotel), and the bike course is hard (!) but we wished we had stayed for a week. Good luck in your endeavor ...
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [irongirlfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongirlfl wrote:
Tremblant, hands down. Horseback riding, Via Ferrata, hiking, the village itself... find a VRBO and stay in one of the places near the village but out of the zoo!

Strike 1, 2 and 3!
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
irongirlfl wrote:

Strike 1, 2 and 3!

?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll reiterate the IMMT love - I've raced there four times (2x 70.3 and 2x 140.6). It's a great venue, especially if you stay in the village - then you can park your car for the duration and walk to everything. There are a ton of activities to do there. When I raced my kids were very young, but I'd definitely go back again as they are getting a bit older (currently 6 and 2 1/2). One thing to be a bit mindful of is the weather - for the first IM I did there (2013) it was pretty chilly on race morning and the second IM (2015) was hot and humid.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best IM for families [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done Florida (2003), Placid (2006), Louisville (2009 ... thinking about heading back this year) and did Tremblant last summer. I found all of them to be family friendly although my kids are grown now and didn't come to Tremblant last summer. All of these venues just have different things about them to like My wife and daughter liked Louisville from a spectating standpoint since they took the shuttle out to watch me on the bike and were able to watch from a variety of locations on the run and the finish line is awesome. Same though for Tremblant where we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in the village so my wife just had to come downstairs to see me run by her a few times. In Florida we did a boat trip that they loved and in Lake Placid we went white water rafting an hour away from the site (2 days after the race so my legs complained in a big way!) Lots of good memories and fun times at all of those venues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next