Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Chinese wheelset?
Quote | Reply
Who makes the most reputable and best Chinese wheelsets? I figure we all have to die sometime... but might as well go out on a nice one. Is it Flyxii? Dengfu? Superteam? Or are they all just made by the same sweatshops?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the premier bike wheels. I just got my bike and the wheels are very nice quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am convinced most of the Chinese wheels are made by the same shop and then just re branded. I bought a set of 50mm deep carbon wheels from Queen Bike. It was a brand on Amazon. waited until they were on amazon since they have good customer service (in my experience at least) and would take 2 days to arrive. I would be more skeptical of buying direct from a china retailer with 15+ days of shipping time.

The wheels I have are good, the brake pads that came with the wheel were trash, once I bought some swiss stop black pads they performed much better. I dont really notice a difference in braking compared to aluminum except in the rain. In the rain they suck pretty bad.The wheels so far have done well over the past 2 seasons and I have some pretty rough roads where I ride and the wheels are holding up well. It is pretty flat here too so I generally do not worry about heavy prolonged braking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Who makes the most reputable and best Chinese wheelsets? I figure we all have to die sometime... but might as well go out on a nice one. Is it Flyxii? Dengfu? Superteam? Or are they all just made by the same sweatshops?

Look at Light Bicycle, Carbonal, or Nextie. They all do their own molds and just make wheels. If you look close, you'll see who they make wheels for too.

I've had Light Bicycle rims, solid and absolutely no issues.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had good experience with Yoeleo. Good quality product and good email support.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Look at Light Bicycle, Carbonal, or Nextie. They all do their own molds and just make wheels. If you look close, you'll see who they make wheels for too.

I've had Light Bicycle rims, solid and absolutely no issues.

+1 on Light Bicycle. Bomb proof in my experience
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
I've had good experience with Yoeleo. Good quality product and good email support.
Yeah not exactly sure why I'm a fan of Yoeleo, I've never actually bought anything from them, but I think they show a significant interest in the process. Their new Tri bike they've been teasing looks pretty interesting as well, aside from some shortcuts for things like tilt and stuff in the bars.

I rode a pair of straight up Aliexpress special 88mm carbon clinchers for 2 years though. Never failed me in the slightest. $380 to my door.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the fact they position themselves at the 'premium' end of the Chinese market marks them out as different somehow.

I was crtitical on social media of the TT bike photos they released: poor cable management and if, if I recall correctly, a poorly located bento box distracted from the overall positive image of the frame. That's the kind of thing us triatletes can't help but notice.

Very happy with the wheel though!!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [rutsackrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would be 100% incorrect.

Those of us who produce "reputable" wheels are very careful on which factories we use. Testing is the reason you pay more for these wheels.

I've seen most of the factories and there are plenty I would never recommend.

As always, buyer beware.

And comment from another person on sweat shops, those don't exist. China is much different than what we've been told. A trip over there is well worth it if you want to learn about production.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:

I hit a rock about a quarter size and my front clincher wheel split in half. Air pressure was 100 psi. It happened after 13 months, so Yoeleo wouldn't cover it under their 1 year warranty. They did give me a rim at 50% discount, so I was able to have it rebuilt at a LBS reusing existing spokes and the hub. I did replace nipples though. It was 60mm deep carbon clincher wheel.
Last edited by: s13tx: Nov 7, 19 8:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Farsports seems to get rated high as well. I bought a 38mm tubular disc wheelset built on DT350 hubs from them in September and have been racing cross on them this fall. So far I am very impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

Reliability is mostly fine if you go with one of the more established Chinese companies. However the price isn't worth it when you consider shipping cost, shipping time (mine took almost a month) and warranty issues. My Light Bicycle wheels had an issue, they took 3.5 weeks to arrive, 3 weeks to be sent back to China, 1 week to be evaluated and another 3.5 weeks for the new set to arrive, so almost 3 months. The season had ended by the time they arrived. Other things to consider are resale value, it doesn't matter how good they are, if the word "China" is associated with them, they are near on impossible to sell.

Personally I would have a good look at the 2nd hand market, you can get some absolute bargains, especially if you go for tubulars. I picked up an immaculate zipp 900 disc/808 firecrest wheelset for $800. The disc had been ridden once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one year into a set from Yoeleo. Have not had any problems. Ordered and to my home in under 2 weeks. Use as my daily training and racing wheels. Setup tubeless, and gp5000's went on easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought ICAN wheelset two years ago from Amazon France.
ICAN has good reviews on internet.
Price was about 600 Euros for 40mm deep wheelset delivered, weight was as announced and packaing was very sturdy!
I did 2 Ironmans, two half IM and two seasons as so far so good!
Would buy again from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to tell people how awesome of a deal my Dengfu frame was. Until I got a specialized and realize how crappy the Dengfu was (mostly in terms of stiffness... the Tarmac just feels awesome)

With wheels - the price point is appealing. But I keep thinking - maybe they aren’t aero at all and I’m SLOWER w those than a real set. With how close in performance the Western Brands are (and they look similar) how confident are you that you aren’t buying a set of Asian wheels that look good but perform crappy
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Yoeleo user here. After a lot of research I bought a set of CA60's 3 years ago and they have performed flawlessly, with only one broken spoke during the time. They are very good with their customer communications and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another set of wheels from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you here. I don’t have anything to back up this statement, but I think the assumption that a 60 depth Chinese wheel has the same aerodynamic principles as, say, a 60 HED, is flawed.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I agree with you here. I don’t have anything to back up this statement, but I think the assumption that a 60 depth Chinese wheel has the same aerodynamic principles as, say, a 60 HED, is flawed.
I've seen this discussed a few times on the forum, and while I'm sure it's way more nuanced than I understand, I don't see how with the nicer, modern shaped wheels this would be true. I mean aren't most of these wheels exact clones of an 808fc? I know at least my aliexpress ones that I raced on for 2 years were. How many ways can you mess up with the shape if you're literally just copying every aspect of a "proven" competitor? Aside from hubs but I always thought even my cheap hubs were fairly decent.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Best Chinese wheelset? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I've spent a few sessions testing my old Chinese 86mm front wheel against a big name manufacturer that I thought would be the best available. This is outdoors in real world (ie windy conditions). The Chinese wheel does have 2 less spokes, and a bit freer spinning hub (it's a White Industries). Over 4 different days the Chinese wheel always wins... .001+-.001.

Speaking of hubs I'm very pleased with the performance of the Bitex hubs I got from BHS. Cheap, light, and durable. In 20k miles I've had to replace one of the front hub bearings and one in the rear.

BTW, this is the rim if anyone is interested. I bought one for 16 spokes and non-tubeless, UD gloss. https://www.ebay.com/...l3JhlcNBKhMUuHMst3PA
Last edited by: rruff: Nov 10, 19 9:31
Quote Reply