Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running?
Quote | Reply
It's now required to carry/wear face covering while riding or running where I live.

I've just been using a bandana which I pull up when encountering others. It gets a little hot and moves around a lot.
I tried a neck gaitor and it was way too hot.

What have folks found to be the most comfortable and tolerable?

https://www.smcgov.org/covid19-face-covering
""The County Order requires each person engaged in recreational activity to bring a Face Covering and wear that Face Covering in circumstances where it is difficult to maintain compliance with Social Distancing Requirements (i.e. staying six feet away), and that they carry the Face Covering in a readily accessible location, such as around the person’s neck or in a pocket, for such use. Additionally, because running or bicycling causes people to more forcefully expel airborne particles, making the usual minimum six feet distance less adequate, runners and cyclists must take steps to avoid exposing others to those particles, which include the following measures: wearing a Face Covering when possible; crossing the street when running to avoid sidewalks with pedestrians; slowing down and moving to the side when unable to leave the sidewalk and nearing other people; never spitting; and avoiding running or cycling directly in front of or behind another runner or cyclist who is not in the same household."
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Article I read said that at least one study found that the neck gaitors actually spread the virus more than wearing nothing. Bandanas were also quite bad. How about Zoot or De Soto which make pretty good ones and you trim it down to single ply (both sell double ply)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a BOCO mask that I keep in a jersey pocket. The main criterion for me was that it's made of non-absorbent tech fabric (polyester) so it still works well if a bit damp (unlike the cotton masks we use for day-to-day). De Soto, Wattie, etc. would probably also work.

For running, I've seen folks wear it on their wrist like a bracelet. Personally, I try to avoid situations where I'll need it and just have it in case I need to assist another cyclist with a flat/mechanical, or if I bonk and need to go into Robert's.

https://www.amazon.com/...597962197&sr=8-2

https://www.bocogear.com/...category/face-masks/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail run and put a mask, bandana, gaiter in the front of your shorts. If you come upon others on the trail, grab it and cover until you pass, then Stuff it to previous position. Fewer people out there, and who’s gonna Gomer you with a citizens arrest?

Road or mtb... Stretch a mask or gaiter over top of your helmet. Pull it down upon nearing someone. Pass and return to helmet top.
Or... Mask ear straps over your hand. Hand over mouth when passing. If you can swallow a gel while riding you can manage this maneuver.
Last edited by: BIKE3: Aug 20, 20 16:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried a whole bunch of different masks, buffs, etc. For summer, I've found the original DeSoto masks the best (the ones that tie around the head; not the ones with the ear loops). I can pull the top strings through the back of my helmet and tie the bottom string around my neck. That allows me to pull it up and down easily when people are/aren't around. Caveat: I put it upside down so the filter opening is on the bottom. Easier to pull up that way. But the filter opening does tend to curl, so it would be better just to sew it shut.
https://www.desotosport.com/...kin-cooler-face-mask
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Article I read said that at least one study found that the neck gaitors actually spread the virus more than wearing nothing.

This is true. The neck gaiters pull moisture to the outside of the material so when you breathe, it actually makes the water droplets like projectiles. Someone who is sick and wearing one of these gaiters/buffs is like a walking virus missile launcher.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeidiC wrote:
I've tried a whole bunch of different masks, buffs, etc. For summer, I've found the original DeSoto masks the best (the ones that tie around the head; not the ones with the ear loops). I can pull the top strings through the back of my helmet and tie the bottom string around my neck. That allows me to pull it up and down easily when people are/aren't around. Caveat: I put it upside down so the filter opening is on the bottom. Easier to pull up that way. But the filter opening does tend to curl, so it would be better just to sew it shut.
https://www.desotosport.com/...kin-cooler-face-mask

+1 for DeSoto
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Article I read said that at least one study found that the neck gaitors actually spread the virus more than wearing nothing.

This is true. The neck gaiters pull moisture to the outside of the material so when you breathe, it actually makes the water droplets like projectiles. Someone who is sick and wearing one of these gaiters/buffs is like a walking virus missile launcher.

This article says that's not correct, just putting the info out there, not claiming it's accurate.

https://www.nytimes.com/...s-gaiters-masks.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife ordered up some Under Armor masks and they are the most breathable I've used so far. I haven't ran/cycled in it yet but they have a very soft strap, they're nice and they stay in place well. I work at a hospital and use it when I'm around the office and walking around downtime. Typically when I'm inside I just wear a disposable and ditch it at the end of the day. Only downside to the UA is I think they are expensive, in the $20 range.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I got a BOCO mask that I keep in a jersey pocket. The main criterion for me was that it's made of non-absorbent tech fabric (polyester) so it still works well if a bit damp (unlike the cotton masks we use for day-to-day). De Soto, Wattie, etc. would probably also work.

For running, I've seen folks wear it on their wrist like a bracelet. Personally, I try to avoid situations where I'll need it and just have it in case I need to assist another cyclist with a flat/mechanical, or if I bonk and need to go into Robert's.

https://www.amazon.com/...597962197&sr=8-2

https://www.bocogear.com/...category/face-masks/

Thanks Titanflexr! - I got one of those kinds of masks; very handy and easy to use though I don't think they provide much protection. But will probably be my go-to for riding and running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there any evidence anywhere that a brief exposure (a matter of seconds when passing someone) is a significant risk for transmission of covid? this county order seems beyond overkill. i doubt the fines would be enforced but this is borderline stupid, sorry you guys have to deal with it. i've posted this link before but i think it is a great explanation of the factors that go into your risk.

https://www.erinbromage.com/..._4eSrNAvhDeHlf5IlEhU

the one liner takeaway from the article is: "Any environment that is enclosed, with poor air circulation and high density of people, spells trouble," which outdoor exercise is the complete opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
is there any evidence anywhere that a brief exposure (a matter of seconds when passing someone) is a significant risk for transmission of covid? this county order seems beyond overkill. i doubt the fines would be enforced but this is borderline stupid, sorry you guys have to deal with it. i've posted this link before but i think it is a great explanation of the factors that go into your risk.

the one liner takeaway from the article is: "Any environment that is enclosed, with poor air circulation and high density of people, spells trouble," which outdoor exercise is the complete opposite.

To play devils advocate - just because indoor is high risk, doesn’t mean outdoor is low risk
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the considerations around viral load (time x quantity) are valid and outdoors is extremely low risk. Unavoidable brief passing situations on trails/sidewalks/roads fall within the level of risk I am prepared to take. It's not "no risk" but that is not our criteria when we choose low risk activities. Wouldn't be willing to herd myself into the start pen of a major road race or navigate those types of crowds though.

In the day to day running I will go as far out of my way as I reasonably can to avoid other people (divert to briefly running in the road, switch sides, etc.) as a courtesy to the other person. If it makes someone else less anxious in a stressful time than it seems to be a reasonable effort to take. If they think I'm ridiculous, well, cost me the same minimum effort and I can accept that.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
I think the considerations around viral load (time x quantity) are valid and outdoors is extremely low risk

This^^^^ is the answer. Viral load is the key. Wearing a mask while on a bike is questionable and just stupid when running.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
jflan wrote:

To play devils advocate - just because indoor is high risk, doesn’t mean outdoor is low risk

To play devils advocate - if you’re outdoors and keeping your distance, it’s low risk.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did a team order with these- https://kivrususa.com/. Everyone loves them. They fit well, have the adjustable loop that lets you fold it and hang from your neck when not being used, and don't smell. We've had numerous people on our team in the health care industry approve and buy them so that's good enough for me!

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
Kudos to taking the virus seriously. That's not how it works though.
The virus spreads indoors when talking, singing etc. for a longer period of time (~15mins through aerosols). Of course coughing directly in the face would increase infection probability.

In Europe here we've got it quite under control and can track nearly all infections for cluster control. Not a single one has been tracked to outdoor infection.

Imo getting hit by a car or falling off the bike is just the waaay more higher risk and maybe even increased by wearing a mask that's useless in this scenario. Experts are very cautious over here but still always recommended not to wear masks during sport outdoors.

Of course.. indoors wear your masks, this is where this virus spreads or avoid it completely if you can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using 3M's Half faced mask 7502 paired with particulate material filters. They are safer than KF94 grade masks and reusable (unless It is not contaminated with COVID). They are quite efficient even for harcore usage i.g. putting morethan 280w while cycling.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A requirement not based on science is a good reason to move, not roll over and accept.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Kudos to taking the virus seriously. That's not how it works though.
The virus spreads indoors when talking, singing etc. for a longer period of time (~15mins through aerosols). Of course coughing directly in the face would increase infection probability.

In Europe here we've got it quite under control and can track nearly all infections for cluster control. Not a single one has been tracked to outdoor infection.

Imo getting hit by a car or falling off the bike is just the waaay more higher risk and maybe even increased by wearing a mask that's useless in this scenario. Experts are very cautious over here but still always recommended not to wear masks during sport outdoors.

Of course.. indoors wear your masks, this is where this virus spreads or avoid it completely if you can

Mostly correct, except replace aerosols with droplets.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter Ghimme wrote:
I have been using 3M's Half faced mask 7502 paired with particulate material filters. They are safer than KF94 grade masks and reusable (unless It is not contaminated with COVID). They are quite efficient even for harcore usage i.g. putting morethan 280w while cycling.

Can you close the Cool Flow Exhale valve on those? Because if not, you're not accomplishing one of the primary goals of mask wearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Best COVID face covering for Cycling and Running? [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:

Mostly correct, except replace aerosols with droplets.

Growing evidence that aerosol transmission could be significant. (1, 2, 3)

Quote:
A requirement not based on science is a good reason to move, not roll over and accept.

Move? Are face covering regulations that onerous for such an emotional response as to use the term "roll over?" I accept that it looks like risk of outdoor transmission is one more orders of magnitude less than indoors. But it does happen. And face coverings probably reduce risk regardless of where you are. And they're easy to wear - minimal regulation of behavior.

When I'm out I generally just keep one in my pocket in case I might end up having an extended face-to-face conversation, or need to go inside for some reason. But I'm fine with other people wearing them outside. Not that big a deal. Some local governments may go a little too far. But probably well-intentioned, rather than like some coercive attempt demean or spread anti-science dogma. We can all probably relax a little bit about the "mask wars."
Last edited by: trail: Sep 5, 20 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This combo hat/face shield is likely not good for 'real' COVID protection (too much airflow) but I've found is fantastic for sun protection and 'pseudo' COVID protection. (Meaning you look face-shielded, so causes less anxiety to the others on the outdoor trails you run on.) If you really want full COVID and sun protection, you can choose to wear a N95 or other mask under this hat.

https://www.amazon.com/...dt_b_product_details

The surprisingly well designed thing about this hat/mask/flap combo is that the face-mesh portion is super breathable AND buttons to the rear flap. This means that when the wind blows, the flaps don't blow off your neck - you stay fully protected.

I had my doubts as to how this would work with a mesh fabric dropped over your mouth, but I've tested it even doing max VO2 intervals, and it works fine, no slowdown, no limitation. Sure, you'll notice it compared to nothing there, but I've found zero limitation from it, and when I start going hard, it's not a bother.

I run in full afternoon peak sun on Sundays in CA due to unavoidable scheduling issues (AM Swim slots and working spouse), so sun protection is key.

Again, not on its own effective for real COVID protection obviously - I only use this outdoors where the COVID transmission has been essentially close to zero.
Quote Reply