Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Bike Shop on the Planet
Quote | Reply
I've heard quite a few bike shop stories on this forum. They range from "worst expierence of my life" to "Wow these guys really took care of me". As far as I am concerned Bikesport and Tom D's staff are at the front of the peloton.

I posted a couple of days ago that my Cervelo had a "phantom shift" happening. Tom answered my post with a quick list of possible problems. None of which seemed to be the case. A little further exploration on my part and a call to the shop diagnosed a probable stretched cable. I was asked to bring the bike in to get the drivetrain readjusted, no charge. Tom indicated that he knew it was quite a drive for me to do that, so he would throw some "free stuff" my way. This for the privelege of doing a free adjustment on my bike while I waited.

Soon as I came in the door, Tom's manager, Mike took charge of my Dual and went to work. First thing he did was adjust my computer mount and magnet, which he pointed out were hitting each other ever so slightly. I hadn't noticed. He then proceeded to readjust and test the whole drive train. Great, that's what I was here for. I wandered off to try on the new line of Cervelo clothing and take a gander at a new computer which is why I mounted the old one so sloppy anyway. I look back and Mike had my rear wheel tore down to the bearings. "I heard a noise I don't like", he replied, when I asked what he was working on. He had the problem corrected to his satisfaction shortly. He then installed a new computer for me, no extra charge for the install. Touched up a nick in the paint, and pronounced the bike ready to go.

Meanwhile, I had a chat with Tom in between his phone calls, deliverys, and product reps dropping off stuff. Tom also presented me with the "free stuff" I had figured on a t-shirt or hat, Tom handed me a set of trishorts and a jersey with the Bikesport logo "for my trouble coming down". He then proceeded to give my bike a visual once over himself.

There are six bike stores in a 40 mile radius of me, 2 have good staff, decent product lines and I would buy from them. But, there is a reason I drive 2 hours one way for the things and service I need. The Bikesport staff and owner go the extra mile to make sure EVERYTHING is just right. I have heard comments on this forum about Tom being an elitist, I diagree, Perfectionist is the word you are looking for.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Shop on the Planet [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

Couldn't you post this like tomorrow or on thursday? Because after reading about the field trip to Litespeed this AM, I'm really not in the mood to read another of these testimonials... so everyone, let's do just one of these per day... once a week would be better...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow.

This is the reason I'm trying to arrange for a stop in Dearborn this summer on my way from Idaho to NJ.

Keep on doing what you do, Tom.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post, and others like it, are the reason I'm coming up from Cincinnati when I buy a Tri-bike. Why take a chance? My wife and I are driving up, going to make a road trip out of it.
Last edited by: Big Duke Six: Apr 13, 04 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Shop on the Planet [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I didn't catch this mornings post, was "in transit". Hope I didn't spoil your lunch.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,

I guess I just get spoiled by the guys at Bikesport, I hear you guys traveling such a long ways to visit them. I don't mean to rub it in, but they are my LBS. I've been blessed to deal with them the whole time I've been in triathlon. It all started when I came in with an old Trek 2000 (you can even see a picture of that day on his web site "How good is your position?" I'm the newbie in the blue jean shorts and the greenish shirt on the red Trek) that was way too small to get fitted for. Tom treated me like I was the only customer he had all day ...it was great. I still get the same treatment each and every time I go there. I'm sure that I can get a better price on some of the stuff I buy on line but thats not the point. I go there because of the little things they do for me. I've bought three bike from him and countless other items. So Tom if you read this, Thanks for being such a good influence on my racing and training. If you get a chance to be in the Metro - Detroit area don't pass the up opportunity to at least say hi. By the way, each year a bunch of us head up to the northern part of michigan to a camp called Ironkamp. This kamp is put on by a AG'er named Todd Briggs, this is a heavy duty three days of training. The reason I mention this is because Tom is sending a mechanic up to kamp with us to tend to our bike needs, he has sponsored some part of this kamp the years that I've gone. That is type of person he is. Thanks Tom!

What the mind can conceive and believe, the body will achieve.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Shop on the Planet [jkmorrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live on the west side of the state and am interested in the Ironkamp; where, when, who to contact, etc. Sounds like fun and depending on where up north some excellent terrain in prep for IMWI.
Larry

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Shop on the Planet [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also be interested in Iron Kamp

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the kamp is put on by Todd Briggs, he can be reached at ironkamp@aol.com. If you go, you will never miss another kamp....but it's not for the weak! I just had to say that, it souds soooo cool. We have two groups, an A & B group. The B group does a little less then the A group does or if you want to do more or less then any of the group I'm sure anyone of us will join you. As of now I believe we have around 17-18 guys/girls going and all are of different levels.

What the mind can conceive and believe, the body will achieve.
Quote Reply