Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks
Quote | Reply
Hey guys! I want to try out some new energy and recovery things and want to know what you guys use and your experience with other products! I am sure all gels are very similar and stuff and marketing probably differentiates them somehow but if I am going to pay, might as well pay for something that people recommend first rather than flying in blind. Anyways, this is a list of things I have tried:

• SIS Iso Gels and Beta Fuel (Orange sucks btw)
  • Maurten's Trial Run Gel and Drink
  • Hammer Nutrition Orange Drink Mix
  • High5 Gels

I dont know why but every time I go onto the site, it automatically gives me orange so yeah... dont get orange
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a 25kg sack of maltodextrin. Buy a 12.5kg sack of Fructose. Buy a bunch of cocoa powder for some flavor. Mix 2:1 glucose:fructose and start experimenting from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like a turkey sandwich with avocado.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great but I don't think one turkey and avocado sandwich would last me during a 4 hour bike ride, I could pack multiple but I only have 3 main pockets. I cant make them too large or they wouldn't fit in my pockets. What then???
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not trynna make a meth lab in my dorm room hahaha but seems very cost efficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a read through this thread. A lot of good info about making your own. During my last two 3hr rides I've been doing 2 bottles with ~1/2cup table sugar and 1/2tbs of table salt in each. Added some flavoring. This has worked really well for me. Most noticeable difference for me is that I've been a lot less hungry during the rest of the day after these rides.
Last edited by: FuzzyRunner: Feb 9, 21 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first thing that I would do, is find out what gels and hydration stuff they are going to be giving you on the race course.

Then make sure that you can use this stuff effectively.

Of course, Covid has thrown a wrench into this, for sure.

Some race directors that I have spoken with, have said that things for the near future maybe moving more toward a self-sufficient approach on the bike.

That means your experiment is going to be even more valuable!

Real food, such as perogies, pizza, and avocado sandwiches, are tasty but have limitations.

Maltodextrin might work for you but I'd invest in maybe.... 500 grams of the stuff before buying enough to feed all of Missoula.

Enjoy the journey!

If you are really just looking for "stuff to try" I have done a 65 K ultra run and the entire Ironman Canada bike course using nothing but F2C Glycodurance.

And have lived to tell about it!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quinnserfa wrote:
Sounds great but I don't think one turkey and avocado sandwich would last me during a 4 hour bike ride, I could pack multiple but I only have 3 main pockets. I cant make them too large or they wouldn't fit in my pockets. What then???

You don't need to bring any nutrition on a four hour bike ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
quinnserfa wrote:

But you should.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quinnserfa wrote:
Hey guys! I want to try out some new energy and recovery things and want to know what you guys use and your experience with other products! I am sure all gels are very similar and stuff and marketing probably differentiates them somehow but if I am going to pay, might as well pay for something that people recommend first rather than flying in blind. Anyways, this is a list of things I have tried:

• High5 Gels

I dont know why but every time I go onto the site, it automatically gives me orange so yeah... dont get orange

Helpful threads:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t=last-7417228#first
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t=last-7444621#first

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
quinnserfa wrote:

• High5 Gels

Helpful threads:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t=last-7417228#first
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t=last-7444621#first

THIS IS GREAT, thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm a bit old school, but I just buy these big containers of Gatorade powder. I probably go through 3-4 a year. On race day and in lead up to races I use Infinit and PowerBar gels.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quinnserfa wrote:
Im not trynna make a meth lab in my dorm room hahaha but seems very cost efficient.

The key is to make sure you vent the cook at night when everybody is asleep.

On a serious note though, it is incredibly cost effective. Buying the big 25kg bag obviously gets you the best bang for your buck. (My cost is around $0.10 for the equivalent of 1 gel/100Cal). But like another poster mentioned, you can buy smaller amounts if space and initial investment is a concern, but that gets you up around $0.50 for 100Cal. Cost aside, the other real benefit is that you can constantly tweak what you're using in a very controlled way to optimize your carb intake.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
quinnserfa wrote:

But you should.

Need and should are 2 different things. I’m fueling for every single ride, regardless of duration. I’ve found that I can get more out of the ride if I’m taking in “adequate” replenishment. (Which is virtually impossible to do on the bike, taking in 700-1000 cal per hour is a tall order)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
quinnserfa wrote:

The key is to make sure you vent the cook at night when everybody is asleep.

On a serious note though, it is incredibly cost effective. Buying the big 25kg bag obviously gets you the best bang for your buck. (My cost is around $0.10 for the equivalent of 1 gel/100Cal). But like another poster mentioned, you can buy smaller amounts if space and initial investment is a concern, but that gets you up around $0.50 for 100Cal. Cost aside, the other real benefit is that you can constantly tweak what you're using in a very controlled way to optimize your carb intake.

Yeah so tragically theres a shit ton of science so I am far down the rabbit hole, I love this, especially since I am not doing schoolwork right now hahhaa. I would definitely buy smaller amounts because my dorm room is small and I share a kitchen with 5 other guys so maybe not the best option to bring a big ass bag of sugar and salt into my house, however, it is interesting to hear all the different ratios, osmolarity things and everything in between.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit old school, but I just buy these big containers of Gatorade powder. I probably go through 3-4 a year.
I do mine like this Saving Money as an Endurance Athlete (TLDR: 80:20 sugar:Gatorade powder) and still go through probably 4-5 of these exact tubs annually. Well... actually more like 15 of them, given that my wife trains more than twice what I do. I'd bet big money that you could benefit from consuming more carbs intra-workout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get yourself to a brew supplies store and get Malto and Dextrose(Corn Sugar). They are super cheap there.
I also have tried a 1:1 white sugar, dextrose mix with some sea salt. Gets me thru all my workouts.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit old school, but I just buy these big containers of Gatorade powder. I probably go through 3-4 a year. On race day and in lead up to races I use Infinit and PowerBar gels.
This and normal food for recovery. But I prefer Gu (especially mint chocolate) over PowerBar gels.

I am not even a poor college student living in a dorm, but I am cheap and Gatorade is similar to whatever you will find on a course.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for your Buck: Gels, Recovery Drinks (Protein Based), and Ride Fuel Drinks [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I also have tried a 1:1 white sugar, dextrose mix with some sea salt. Gets me thru all my workouts.
Try 2:1 or 4:1 sugar:dextrose and I suspect you'll have even better results and could use higher carb consumption rates.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems you and I are following each other around on the internet ;)

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever is cheapest on Amazon at the time?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had good luck with infinit, tailwind and Gatorade endurance. I’ve used crank sports some without issue, but not as much as the others.

Gatorade endurance is a the on course drink for the races I participate in, so I want to make sure my gut can handle it.

Thefeed.com is a good site that offers pretty cheap sample products from multiple brands. Might be a good place to check out if you’re wanting to try a wide variety of products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For recovery, real food and/or chocolate milk, don't waste your money on gimmicky recovery products. I guess you could add some whey protein to your chocolate milk for a protein boost but that stuff is pretty cheap.

For during, I'd recommend a calorie dense drink (Gu Roctane or Tailwind are what I usually buy). ALL gels are disgusting, wouldn't recommend those to anyone. Chews and bars are ok at lower intensity but kind hard to get down if your HR is out of zone 2. I like the honey stinger waffles and chews best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In-ride, it depends what works for you (personally I do gels, since I don't like trying to chew something while riding, YMMV).

-SIS gels (since you can get them for <$1 each on their frequent sales). They are simple and work well.

-Clif bars (readily available for <$1) if you want solid food.

-Gatorade powder (also cheap and readily available) for an energy drink.

-Smuckers Uncrustibles (in-ride and post-ride).

-Old school: fat free fig newtons.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm addicted to these: https://www.cranksports.com/egel/

no affiliation, they're just freaking delicious. And they're larger in size and calorie count which is good for my physique (or lack thereof). All flavors are the bomb.
Quote Reply

Prev Next